Hubs

Who's on first?

1B Playing Time  

63 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who gets the most playing time at 1st this season?

• Pujols
    • La Stella
    • Thaiss
    • Walsh
    • Rojas
    • Someone else

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is it really. Case closed! 

Because the Angels have nowhere for Thaiss to play, I'd like for them to take a look at him at his old college position, catcher. 

If not it's back to AAA for him or trade bait. 

I hear he's looked REALLY good defensively at 3B over the winter and what I saw from him in Anaheim he really impressed me at the hot corner. Between him, Rengifo and one of Marsh or Adams, you'd like we'd have enough to land a good #2 type in a trade. 

How do the Angels have no where for Thaiss to play? First base is still a huge black hole considering Pujols sucks ass. I think Thaiss deserves starts there and if he hits the ground running, it would solve the first base problem we have had since Pujols started sucking dick, which was about 4 years ago. 

im not against trading Thaiss if we get good pitching in return, but I see him more as a potential solution to the problem we have had, rather than a waste of space. 

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

I don't know why so many people are so high on Thaiss. He has never done anything to suggest he will be an above-average major leaguer.

Who’s high on him? I think he could put up 20 Home runs with a solid OBP and solid defense, which is something we haven’t gotten from first base in a while considering Pujols can’t get on base for shit. Plus, he’s slow as fuck and a liability on the basepaths.

31 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Who’s high on him? I think he could put up 20 Home runs with a solid OBP and solid defense, which is something we haven’t gotten from first base in a while considering Pujols can’t get on base for shit. Plus, he’s slow as fuck and a liability on the basepaths.

I get what you're saying, but Thaiss did not have a solid OBP last year. In fact, it was lower than Pujols'.

oh, and he's slow as fuck. 

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

I get what you're saying, but Thaiss did not have a solid OBP last year. In fact, it was lower than Pujols' 

I totally get that, but he was a rookie. I’m hopeful he can improve. Remember, Trout had a .281 OBP in his rookie year. I’m not saying Thaiss is Trout, but I’m just saying that I don’t expect Thaiss to bat .211 with a .293 OBP next year. If he does, he deserves the bench. But I hope Thaiss gets a shot to play on a regular basis. This Pujols thing is seriously getting old. It’s beyond ridiculous.

also, Thaiss may not be fast, but Pujols is a tortoise.

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

I totally get that, but he was a rookie. I’m hopeful he can improve. Remember, Trout had a .281 OBP in his rookie year. I’m not saying Thaiss is Trout, but I’m just saying that I don’t expect Thaiss to bat .211 with a .293 OBP next year. If he does, he deserves the bench. But I hope Thaiss gets a shot to play on a regular basis. This Pujols thing is seriously getting old. It’s beyond ridiculous.

I agree.

43 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I don't know why so many people are so high on Thaiss. He has never done anything to suggest he will be an above-average major leaguer.

Matt Thaiss = Robb Quinlan 

Trent Rush said Thaiss is killing it in Winter Ball but I can’t find any stats. 

If Rojas plays well, could he take the job? 

How much playing time will Pujols get? 4 days a week? 5? 

Two days at DH and Two at 1st is roughly 108 games. Two and Three is roughly 135. I bet he’ll end up somewhere between these two, meaning there will be 90-100  DH starts and 90-110 1B starts. 

I figure Ohtani to get the vast majority of the DH AB’s but Trout, Rendon, and Upton will all get a few.

But at 1st, I’d say if Pujols only gets between 54-81, that leaves a majority. Right now that’s La Stella and Thaiss likely. If Thaiss can hit.

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

also, Thaiss may not be fast, but Pujols is a tortoise.

Trout hit .326/ .399/ .564/ .963  as a rookie (ROY) You're talking about the year before his rookie year.

13 hours ago, Hubs said:

Trent Rush said Thaiss is killing it in Winter Ball but I can’t find any stats. 

If Rojas plays well, could he take the job? 

How much playing time will Pujols get? 4 days a week? 5? 

Two days at DH and Two at 1st is roughly 108 games. Two and Three is roughly 135. I bet he’ll end up somewhere between these two, meaning there will be 90-100  DH starts and 90-110 1B starts. 

I figure Ohtani to get the vast majority of the DH AB’s but Trout, Rendon, and Upton will all get a few.

But at 1st, I’d say if Pujols only gets between 54-81, that leaves a majority. Right now that’s La Stella and Thaiss likely. If Thaiss can hit.

1. Google Angels Winter League Stats, then select the second option. When the site loads, you may or may not need to change the year to 2019 at the top of the page. - At any rate, yes, Thaiss is playing pretty well. Great defender at 3B and a .391 OBP.

2. If Rojas plays well he could take just about anyone's job. He's struggling in winter ball though, isn't on the 40 man and doesn't project as well as Thaiss does, so it's an uphill battle. But then again, Rojas' entire career has been an uphill battle and here he is. So it's possible.

3. If the team doesn't trade away Fletcher or La Stella, and everyone is healthy, Pujols probably plays three days a week, if he does end up playing platoon 1B/DH.

4. Ohtani may get more AB's than ever before in 2020. He's the DH, and clearly the third best hitter on a VERY good offensive team. Maddon has said he might hit on days that he pitches. The Angels have also considered the idea of holding him back from pitching for the first couple months of the season to preserve his arm and allow him to get in a groove at the plate before incorporating the other part of his game.

5. If no one is traded, it's a fair bet that Thaiss will be in AAA next year until there's an injury. I don't think they want to promote him just to have him sit the bench. He will still have a future role on this team I think, but that full time role probably starts in 2021. 2020 will likely be a lot like 2019 was for him, only better because now he knows what to expect. He'll play mostly in AAA, get a couple call ups to the majors. Play some 1B, play some 3B and sit the bench too. But I think in 2021 he will be the full time 1B, or at least get the majority of AB's over there.

Edited by Second Base

It looks like the Angels will go into ST with two options in La Stella and Thaiss to backup Pujols at 1B. This would change if there is a trade.

Defensively, we know Thaiss can play 1B. La Stella has only played 4 games/5.1 innings at 1B in his career. He is below average at 2B and average at 3B but he's an infielder so he can probably handle 1B.

Offensively, we know La Stella can hit. The question is will he bring the power he showed last year prior to injury. The question for Thaiss is can he hit well enough to be an everyday MLB player?

So I think La Stella and Thaiss compete in ST for a utility role. La Stella can also backup Rendon at 3B and Fletcher at 2B. Thaiss can backup Rendon at 3B and Upton in LF. Rengifo is in the mix also as he can play 2B, SS and 3B. With a 26 man roster and Ohtani in his two way role maybe two of the three make the opening day roster and La Stella/Thaiss will backup Pujols to start the season.

If Pujols struggles early we could see a platoon at 1B with La Stella/Thaiss starting against RHP's.