• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which prospects would you NOT part with in a trade for a pitcher?

mmc

On my no-trade-list:

Jo Adell: Will be major league ready in 2020, a middle of the order goes in 2021, and an all star by 2023. Legitimate 30/20 potential.

Brandon Marsh: Will be major league ready in mid or late 2020. Will be a starting outfielder by 2021 as his power fully develops, and an all-star by 2024. 20/20 potential.

Jordyn Adams: First full season focusing on baseball, puts on at least 15 lbs of muscle, more likely 20-30, and advances to high A Ball, as a 19 year old. Was the best player at Fall Instructs, and his status as a top prospect is about to erupt. I'm willing to trade him, just not before his breakout. 20/30 potential.

Matt Thaiss: The power finally developed last year, as Eppler and Swanson expected it would when they drafted him in the first round. Has developed into a very good defensive 3B and 1B. Bat should play up at the major league level, just needs reps. Legitimate .270/.370 and 25 HR potential. Should begin to take over 1B from Pujols at some point in 2020 or for sure 2021.

Griffin Canning, Pat Sandoval, Chris Rodriguez, Aaron Hernandez, Jose Soriano Hector Yan and Jack Kochanowicz. For a team that lacks upside on the mound, the Angels should be hoarding every pitcher with potential in the system, even if their future lies in the bullpen. This is not an asset to trade from yet.

All prospects/players are tradable in the right deal. Saying never is just insane. You love your prospect so much you’d never trade it? What if someone offered you 100 times what it’s worth? Would you then? What about 10000 times? At some point everything is available to a certain extent. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

On my no-trade-list:

Jo Adell: Will be major league ready in 2020, a middle of the order goes in 2021, and an all star by 2023. Legitimate 30/20 potential.

Brandon Marsh: Will be major league ready in mid or late 2020. Will be a starting outfielder by 2021 as his power fully develops, and an all-star by 2024. 20/20 potential.

Jordyn Adams: First full season focusing on baseball, puts on at least 15 lbs of muscle, more likely 20-30, and advances to high A Ball, as a 19 year old. Was the best player at Fall Instructs, and his status as a top prospect is about to erupt. I'm willing to trade him, just not before his breakout. 20/30 potential.

Matt Thaiss: The power finally developed last year, as Eppler and Swanson expected it would when they drafted him in the first round. Has developed into a very good defensive 3B and 1B. Bat should play up at the major league level, just needs reps. Legitimate .270/.370 and 25 HR potential. Should begin to take over 1B from Pujols at some point in 2020 or for sure 2021.

Griffin Canning, Pat Sandoval, Chris Rodriguez, Aaron Hernandez, Jose Soriano Hector Yan and Jack Kochanowicz. For a team that lacks upside on the mound, the Angels should be hoarding every pitcher with potential in the system, even if their future lies in the bullpen. This is not an asset to trade from yet.

Lol @ Matt Thaiss

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

On my no-trade-list:

Cool.  So expect a Jack Lazorko type pitcher in return.

And my reasoning behind not being willing to trade the top prospects and only young major leaguers and fringe prospects is simple. 

1. When you trade top prospects, you should only do it to add to your core that you build your team around. Because inevitably, that's what a top prospect will become in time. A prime example of this is when Eppler traded our #1 and #2 prospects, as well as a SS with only one year of control left in return for Andrelton Simmons. Simmons was a player that would be part of the core of this team. Eppler had built the team around him, along with others. 

If you trade a top prosoect, it needs to be for a player with at minimum, 3 years of team control.

---- What you absolutely DO NOT want to do, is trade your top prospect for a rental. Dipoto did this when he dealt Jean Segura and a couple projectable righties in return for Greinke. The Angels didn't make the playoffs and couldn't keep Greinke. Dipoto did it again when he traded Mike Clevinger for Vinnie Pestano. The Angels did it again when they traded O'Sullivan and Will Smith for Alberto Callaspo. And again when they traded for Mark Teixeira, though Kotch wasn't a top prospect as much as he was a young, valuable player at the time.

When you trade your top prospects in rental deals, it's an unsustainable way of doing business. So guys on 1-2 year deals, those are rental pieces. Guys like Jon Gray and Noah Syndergaard, you absolutely should NOT trade for. 

-----

The way I see it, the Angels have their core set. Trout, Simmons, Pujols (more in the clubhouse than the field), Fletcher, Upton and Rendon are who they will build around. And as some of these guys phase out, we have younger guys like Canning, Adell and Marsh, maybe even Thaiss to replace them. Maybe even someday Adams, Rodriguez, Soriano, Stallings or Kochanowicz. You never know. 

I think fellow posters can be as critical as they want concerning my hesitancy toward trading any prospects, but I have logic behind these decisions. It's been well thought out

And as it stands, prospects are still the ONLY way to sustainably build a winning team without going over the luxury tax. And that's what I like most about Eppler, is that he gets why you don't trade top prospects in rental deals. You use lesser ones to acquire players to build around the fringes.

Edited by Second Base

Personally, my take is this: Our potential window is the next five years. After that, Trout and Rendon will be declining and we’ll be sinking big money into both. If we want a championship, this next five years needs to be all in. 

We need frontline pitching. Anyone who won’t help in the next five years should be on the table. Depending on whether Eppler views this year as a year you can seriously contend, you might consider moving Simmons and La Stella also and load up for 2021.