• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryu to Toronto 4/$80m

totdprods

1 minute ago, Lou said:

lets play a game of "Remember When . . . "

I'm against signing Ryu for 4+ yrs and I think Ryu pitching in Dodger stadium in NLW and Ryu in Rogers Centre in ALE will be totally different.

I preferred Keuchel over Ryu for health issue + Keuchel was likely to demand lower salary and shorter contract term (which turned out to be true) but they missed out on Keuchel and now Ryu is also gone. There is literally no front end starter left in the market. idk what kind of trade Eppler is working on but getting a front line starter without giving up Adell and Canning will be very tough

My feeling is that the misses that really hurt now are Wheeler and Corbin last year.  Those two are potentially real difference makers for us.  With a lot less risk then Ryu.  When we didn’t get Wheeler we were behind the 8 ball in a really tough competition for Cole.  And then missing on Cole, the options just weren’t really very good.  

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

And it would be very, very dumb to trade Canning.  Look we aren’t going to get a top of the rotation guy in a trade.  It’s not happening.  The Angels do not have the prospect capital to make that work. 

They technically do if they include Adell in a deal, but that's not happening nor should it

40 minutes ago, Halos of Anaheim said:

I’m pretty impressed by how calm Eppler seems to be about this rotation. He must really believe in Callaway and Maddon making the most out of it and the development of Canning/Sandoval.

I guess we’ll see if he’s right. 

He believed in last year’s rotation too. I had a feeling they would stand par with what they have 

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lol....  I'm still more annoyed about Gibson and Pineda than Ryu and Keuchel.

Walker seems like a solid addition right now. And then a trade for a starter and sign Castro and the offseason won’t be completely lost. But I mean everyone sees what the Angels need and Eppler hasn’t addressed it yet so idk what to think anymore. 

42 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Well he didn't get the $100 mil everyone was projecting. 4 years is too much for Ryu but at $20 mil a year that's not a terrible contract. Eppler had free agency to pick up some pretty good arms, and I don't know how anyone could say that Eppler hasn't been a massive failure in free agency in the pitching department. Now it's up to him to put together a nice trade scenario where we bring back a top of the rotation arm with out giving up the farm. I don't know if he can do it but I am willing to wait till the season begins to see how this all plays out. Not stoked with how the off season has played out so far though. 

"top of the rotation arm" and "without giving up the farm" can't work in the same sentence. 

I realize the market is what it is but some of the contracts given out to pitchers are crazy.  At the trade deadline this year when the Angels didn't make a move some people said the price was too high wait for the off season.  The off season isn't over but the price for quality pitching whether it's through FA or a trade is always going to be high.  After that you're looking at trading for a guy who has under performed his contract that is owed a good chunk of change (Price), one year signings you hope stay healthy and outperform their contract (Teheran) or guys that have never really lived up to the hype (Bundy).  Those types of moves can work out but this is a team that really needs a #1 or 2.  I'll be curious to see what else they do but the rotation as it is right now doesn't give me too much hope.  If no other big moves are made I hope I'm wrong.   

I trust Ohtani will be good for however many innings they allow him to throw this year. The other 3 guys(Canning, Heaney, Sandoval) have the stuff and have flashed at times their ability. It's just asking a lot, likely too much, to expect all 3 to put things together this season. Bundy and Teheran help a bit to mask that risk a bit, but neither are obviously moving the needle much at all. Really need someone with some sort of certainty and track record added to this group.