• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryu to Toronto 4/$80m

totdprods

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t blame Dipoto for Upton signing.  However I can blame him for the black hole we had in LF before Eppler arrived.  

I’m just saying Eppler was only under a strict budget for pitching this offseason due to the contracts he previously agreed to. It wasn’t just Rendon.

it’s also Pujols, which definitely isn’t his fault

9 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I’m just saying Eppler was only under a strict budget for pitching this offseason due to the contracts he previously agreed to. It wasn’t just Rendon.

it’s also Pujols, which definitely isn’t his fault

Besides Upton which contracts did he agree to?  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Besides Upton which contracts did he agree to?  

That’s about it(besides Trout and Rendon)

but when Upton makes 24 million and Ryu is making 20 million...you’re never gonna convince me that was solid management by Billy

even without the benefit of hindsight pitching has always been our biggest downfall

10 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

That’s about it(besides Trout and Rendon)

but when Upton makes 24 million and Ryu is making 20 million...you’re never gonna convince me that was solid management by Billy

even without the benefit of hindsight pitching has always been our biggest downfall

Signing Upton was a good move at the time, possibly even a very good move. Nobody could have predicted how sharply Upton would decline.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Signing Upton was a good move at the time, possibly even a very good move. Nobody could have predicted how sharply Upton would decline.

No one predicted this sharp of a decline but there were several people who didn't like giving a 30+ year old declining defender that kind of money and for 5 seasons.

At a certain point you have to place accountability on the GM for the moves that work out. Just like you give him credit for the moves that worked (Simmons, Bundy, Ohtani, Trout extension, Rendon).

I'm not an Eppler hater but this is just common sense

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

No one predicted this sharp of a decline but there were several people who didn't like giving a 30+ year old declining defender that kind of money and for 5 seasons.

At a certain point you have to place accountability on the GM for the moves that work out. Just like you give him credit for the moves that worked (Simmons, Bundy, Ohtani, Trout extension, Rendon).

Absolutely, but by the same token, you have to "overpay" guys in order to get anyone. Everyone has misses. I'm not going to argue that Eppler has done a great job. You can't do a great job when the team is the worst in baseball and has the best player on the team, but I think people are going to be really disappointed when we get a new GM and he's not perfect. I think Eppler is probably an above average GM, but there is definitely room for improvement.

It reminds me a lot of the fire Scioscia crowd. We see all the mistakes he makes and think he's the only manager out there who makes them. I think GMs have far more impact than managers do, but I think people are vastly overestimating how much better a new GM could be underestimating how much worse a worse GM could be. 

9 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Who were the several people who didn't like it? I just skimmed through the thread about his 5-year extension, and only found one person  (JustATroutFan) who disliked it.

• 1 year later...