• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryu to Toronto 4/$80m

totdprods

I think it is important to keep in mind that Eppler likely knows his job is on the line this year. If he had unlimited resources from Arte, then he likely would be happy to overpay to bring in Ryu or Keuchel to help save his job. That didn't happen for one reason or another. It is reasonable to assume that either Arte refused to shell out the extra money to bring one of those guys in or Eppler cares more about the long term health of the team despite his job being at risk which is admirable.  

Would an oft injured Ryu  push this team over the top in 2020? Maybe...probably not. Would Keuchel? Even less likely. 

I know we all want to win now and we are tired of losing and having a shitty rotation but the fact is that the actual TOTR arms, that would have had a significant impact on the rotation, did not  sign here at no fault to Arte or Eppler. The secondary arms we have missed out on, while would have helped, are not going to make or break the team and the arms we have added in their place are pretty comparable. The way I look at it, Teheran will be our Keuchel and Bundy will be our Kyle Gibson. They each have very similar projections and came cheaper leaving much more flexibility. 

I don't think it is ridiculous that so many fans are calling for Eppler's job but I do think it is irrational and I think it would be a mistake. 

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

or he knew more than a bunch of hysterical grown men on a message board.

I actually quite enjoy things like this in sports. If this is the rotation with which the Angels start the season, there are only two likely outcomes: it's successful and Eppler makes a lot of people look like idiots, or it isn't successful and all the people who have ripped Eppler, all the pundits on TV who have asked "What the hell are the Angels doing?" are going to be even more annoying than usual.

(Its like the current situation with Chip Kelly - he's going to turn the program around and affirm the genius label so many attached to him at UO, or he's going to continue with crappy seasons and be revealed as a fraud who won with the foundation Bellotti built. I don't see any in-between at this point.)