• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Angels Engaging in Talks w/ Ryu and Keuchel

failos

With pitching salaries out of hand, and pitchers' health being very iffy nowadays, it's becoming more understandable why Billy is seemingly hesitant to sign bigger money FA pitchers.

Which would we rather have?    Panic moves?   Or being hesitant?

We saw enough of the former (Wells, Hamilton, etc.).

Focus on drafting, and foreign signing, enough pitchers to develop.    Seems that 2020's 1st round pick needs to be a college pitcher (at least ten projected to go in the first round?), for the first time since Newcomb several years ago.   

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With pitching salaries out of hand, and pitchers' health being very iffy nowadays, it's becoming more understandable why Billy is seemingly hesitant to sign bigger money FA pitchers.

Which would we rather have?    Panic moves?   Or being hesitant?

We saw enough of the former (Wells, Hamilton, etc.).

Focus on drafting, and foreign signing, enough pitchers to develop.    Seems that 2020's 1st round pick needs to be a college pitcher (at least ten projected to go in the first round?), for the first time since Newcomb several years ago.   

That said, Ryu might be the best gamble to take, if on a 3 year contract maybe with a team option 4th year.   

Just now, yk9001 said:

you guys are insane.

Guys who win ERA titles the previous years don't sign contracts laden with incentives... or team options.   Especially Boras clients.

Well there is a reason he is still available and it has to do with his history of injury and that fact he isn’t in the greatest of shape.  I’d offer him a incentive laden deal that still pays him well, something like $17 million base salary and $500k for every start over 20 for the first two years, and if he makes 50 starts in the first two years then the last two years are guaranteed at $22 million a year.  If he doesn’t then it is the same as the first two years.  Something along those lines.  Where he still gets a really good contract but has a chance to get $22-23 million a year if healthy.  

53 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

you guys are insane.

Guys who win ERA titles the previous years don't sign contracts laden with incentives... or team options.   Especially Boras clients.

no u.

What if everyone thinking about giving a big contract has the same concern?

10 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Thats not what I'm hoping to hear...we need to make a run at Ryu or Keuchel...relying on the kid starters is asking too much. 

Did you misread it? They’re not ruling it out. 

They have five starters. Obviously they’re not going to say, “We’re still looking for one more.”

Also, what ‘kids’ are they relying on? Ohtani, Heaney, Teheran, Bundy? None of those are kids. Canning? What a bizarre take. 

33 minutes ago, True Grich said:

@Jeff Fletcher can you confirm this? Specifically that the Angels are still interested in signing one of Ryu or Keuchel after their signing of Teheran.

Thing is, you have to secure an innings guy because beyond Bundy (2 years) and Teheran (1 year) you don't have much in the future outside of Ohtani and our kids Canning/Sandoval/Suarez. 

I believe Heaney only has a couple more years too right?

I can see Keuchel being a guy that can be productive for quite a while since he doesn't rely on velo to get guys out.

17 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Did you misread it? They’re not ruling it out. 

They have five starters. Obviously they’re not going to say, “We’re still looking for one more.”

Also, what ‘kids’ are they relying on? Ohtani, Heaney, Teheran, Bundy? None of those are kids. Canning? What a bizarre take. 

I didn’t misread anything. I just hope the mindset is we need another starter. Relying on Heaney and Ohtani to stay healthy, hell Canning to at this point with the elbow issues he had last year...Is setting us up for failure. And the tweet references Suarez, Sandoval, and Canning as the “kid” starters. Those are nice options to have as 6th starters, spot starters, and backups for   Any prolonged injuries. 

the mindset should be we need one more established starter; not the “haven’t ruled it out” which implies that there is a chance we might just settle for Bundy and Teheran. Adding a Keuchel or Ryu makes our rotation much more solid and gives us more flexibility with innings limits and injuries. 

2 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I didn’t misread anything. I just hope the mindset is we need another starter. Relying on Heaney and Ohtani to stay healthy, hell Canning to at this point with the elbow issues he had last year...Is setting us up for failure. And the tweet references Suarez, Sandoval, and Canning as the “kid” starters. Those are nice options to have as 6th starters, spot starters, and backups for   Any prolonged injuries. 

the mindset should be we need one more established starter; not the “haven’t ruled it out” which implies that there is a chance we might just settle for Bundy and Teheran. Adding a Keuchel or Ryu makes our rotation much more solid and gives us more flexibility with innings limits and injuries. 

I'm pretty sure that is the actual mindset. But it's not what they're going to tell the media.

17 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

If you think they're going to say, "We need another starter", you're nuts, whether they think they do internally or not.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It’s crazy how Eppler works because Maria and @Jeff Fletcher were both told that they weren’t interested in Teheran.  Smoke and mirrors.

Well the person who told me was one of Eppler’s underlings, and not one who works in Anaheim. It’s possible, as I pointed out in my original comment, that he wasn’t 100 percent in the loop. With sources like that I am much more comfortable using them to confirm things that are happening rather than things that aren’t happening. 

It’s also possible the whole thing came together in the last 4 days, since I heard that.