• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did we really have to trade Will Wilson to get Rendon ?

UndertheHalo

The more I think about them dumping Wilson for essentially 13 million dollars the more I’m kind of bothered about it.  Yes, I know Wilson wasn’t a super star in the making (most likely) but he is a solid 50 grade prospect and I don’t know.  Dumping him for 13 million bucks seems whack.  The Angels aren’t loaded.  Couldn’t they have just eaten it for 1 year ? Using prospects as a means of clearing money seems like a shitty thing.  I appreciate that we got Rendon.  Thrilled about it.  But did they really need to...I mean let’s face it.  Just throw away Wilson ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

We didn't trade Wilson for Rendon. We could have afforded him before Wilson. The next FA we sign will likely be in thanks to the Wilson trade. Plus, you can never be sure about prospects. When you have an overload of infield talent and the chance to capitalize on a situation to free up salary room to potentially take the Angels in a completely different (and better) direction, then you take it. Eppler clearly doesn't waste prospects in a trade. The Indians asked for Marsh, Sandoval and Deveaux for Kluber and Eppler is smart not to bite just because we need an ace. Eppler has my 100% trust in the trades he makes. 

This is pretty much how I have felt from the beginning.  I know at the end of the day I will never know the whole story, but this is how I see it:

1) Arte is too cheap to take a 12M hit for one year and just release Cozart.

2) Their scouting is so inept that they took a guy as their first round pick and then 46 games later decided he actually isn't that great.

I just don't see how that trade doesn't have a bad look to it no matter how you swing it.  It's most likely that they just don't value Wilson that highly and are trying to capitalize on his 1st round status (I believe someone else has mentioned that here).  The problem with that is the fact that they literally just drafted him.  He's played 46 minor league games.  Why the hell did you draft him then? And what does that say about their competence going forward?

Edit:  I wanted to point out that my point is independent of everything else.  Regardless of what they do this offseason I don't see how this was necessary.  And if it was, as I have stated, it just looks bad on their scouting and drafting competency.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

59 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

We didn't trade Wilson for Rendon. We could have afforded him before Wilson. The next FA we sign will likely be in thanks to the Wilson trade. Plus, you can never be sure about prospects. When you have an overload of infield talent and the chance to capitalize on a situation to free up salary room to potentially take the Angels in a completely different (and better) direction, then you take it. Eppler clearly doesn't waste prospects in a trade. The Indians asked for Marsh, Sandoval and Deveaux for Kluber and Eppler is smart not to bite just because we need an ace. Eppler has my 100% trust in the trades he makes. 

We just signed our #1 pick a few months ago and gave him a check for $3.4M dollars. If Eppler was unsure about the prospect ... then he should of never picked him. Using your recent #1 draft pick to make Cozart away for the 1 year left on his contract is unsettling imo. 

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

This is pretty much how I have felt from the beginning.  I know at the end of the day I will never know the whole story, but this is how I see it:

1) Arte is too cheap to take a 12M hit for one year and just release Cozart.

2) Their scouting is so inept that they took a guy as their first round pick and then 46 games later decided he actually isn't that great.

I just don't see how that trade doesn't have a bad look to it no matter how you swing it.  It's most likely that they just don't value Wilson that highly and are trying to capitalize on his 1st round status (I believe someone else has mentioned that here).  The problem with that is the fact that they literally just drafted him.  He's played 46 minor league games.  Why the hell did you draft him then? And what does that say about their competence going forward?

Edit:  I wanted to point out that my point is independent of everything else.  Regardless of what they do this offseason I don't see how this was necessary.  And if it was, as I have stated, it just looks bad on their scouting and drafting competency.

Not sure if anyone can still say arte is "cheap".

He ate like 75 mill on hamilton. And in the last 12 months, bought the stadium, gave trout the richest contract in sports history, extended upton, and gave rendon over 200 mill, after offering cole 300.

I doubt he.... was too cheap to eat 12 mill.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

He ate like 75 mill on hamilton. And in the last 12 months, bought the stadium, gave trout the richest contract in sports history, extended upton, and gave rendon over 200 mill, after offering cole 300.

and with that, everyone should shut tf up 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

barack obama applause GIF by Obama

A few points:

1. Fangraph's has Wilson as a 45, not a 50 FV. 

2. I don't know how they convert future value into surplus value, but this is from their article on the Kluber trade: "He was graded as a 40+ FV player on our 2019 midseason update, and Eric Longenhagen told me he’ll probably be a 45 this offseason. Clase will be 22 years old in March and will be making the minimum salary through 2022. Generically, a prospect like Clase would be worth around $4 million or so in present value." I don't know if they arrive at that because of his future value only or if position is taken into account. But if it's future value only, then a 45 FV is worth about $4 million. It may be that Wilson is worth double or even triple because of positional value, but worst case scenario, it's a break even deal.

3. If you can sell an asset for $13 million that's worth $4 million it makes a lot of sense to do it.

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we don’t get within $12 million of the tax then this was a very dumb trade.  

Agreed. Wilson was the 7th best prospect on the team. And he’s a catcher. This trade is a waste without some big signing (not including Rendon).

Edited by failos