• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rangers have acquired Kluber from the Indians

rafibomb

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

this is why I hate trades.  when it requires another team to match up and buy what you're selling is so tricky.  

The Indians return seems lighter than anything the Angels could have offered but they clearly preferred and coveted Clase which is really a player we don't have.  

While I'm a little annoyed that we couldn't get Kluber for what seemed like a reasonable price, I'm more annoyed that the Angels are now in their current position of having declining options and missing out on some guys that could have been some reasonable adds to help this team.  

Putting all their eggs in the Cole basket and the timing of which was a concern from the start and it seems that it's worked out as we've hoped it would not.  

NoThereIsAnother.jpg

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if the indianswin equivalent thought they should get Adell for Kluber, I can't imagine what they though of this trade.  A high upside reliever and a 4th OFer.  lol.  

1. they absolutely thought they should get Adell in a deal for Kluber ("the rest of their farm system is crap").

2. they do not like the trade one bit. 

Edited by Lou

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if the indianswin equivalent thought they should get Adell for Kluber, I can't imagine what they though of this trade.  A high upside reliever and a 4th OFer.  lol.  

Reports are Marsh plus another prospect in the Angels top 10.... I can see why Eppler gave that a hard pass

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

who?  

I updated many options (some clearly better pitchers than others) in the Rotation thread earlier.

Names like Boyd, Ray, Ryu, Taillon, Fulmer, Gray, and Hader (convert him back to a starter) strike me as good and available. Particularly Ray, Taillon, Fulmer, and Gray who I feel have the potential for top-of-the-rotation ability.

The more speculative and unlikelier names include Carrasco, Syndergaard, Marquez, Stroman, Darvish, Quintana, and Martinez. When there is a demand, other teams sometimes fill the void by putting players on the market that were not, at first, thought readily available. Although I think the Mets will start the season with their current full rotation, they may put up one of Syndergaard or Stroman if it brings back a return that helps them in other areas, then they, themselves, could pick up a mid or back-end starter to replace either (speculative and unlikely but you never know).

In particular I think the Rockies have a big decision to make. They probably should do a short rebuild considering the state of their team and Division so the idea that they have been rumored to be shopping Gray and Arenado lends itself to a reboot and would bring in talent that could help a new iteration of their team within the next couple of years. Or they could start the season and see where it takes them leading into the Trade Deadline.

Just saying there are still options.

• The Angels were one of the teams known to have interest in Kluber, though Jeff Fletcher of the Southern California News Group (Twitter link) reports that the Indians wanted highly-touted outfield prospect Brandon Marsh and another top-10 prospect from the Halos’ farm system.  It was a significant ask, given how Marsh is widely considered to be the Angels’ second-best prospect (after Jo Adell) and is ranked by Fangraphs as the 74th-best prospect in all of baseball.  If Cleveland was seeking for such a return for Kluber from the various teams in the hunt, Fletcher notes that it could be a sign that “they have a much higher opinion of Clase than most of baseball.”

• trade rumors 

Only way I'm parting with Marsh is in a package for a pitcher like Clevinger (whose probably not even available for trade) or Syndergaard. Fuck off Cleveland, good on Eppler for walking...now...still go find pitching. I'm not soured on Price if Boston eats some of his $$$.

43 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Only way I'm parting with Marsh is in a package for a pitcher like Clevinger (whose probably not even available for trade) or Syndergaard. Fuck off Cleveland, good on Eppler for walking...now...still go find pitching. I'm not soured on Price if Boston eats some of his $$$.

Eppler isn't going to trade Marsh unless it's for a front of the rotation starter with more than 2 years of control.  I truly believe that.  

He knows this team is more than 1 player away.  He's not gonna give away guys with significant upside and tons of control for guys with 1 or 2 years of control.  He's not gonna give away those guys for mid to back end starters with more control.  

I'm not a fan of price.  I'd rather just sign Keuchel or Ryu unless another player is coming along with Price.  

I'm about to make a stellar point here

I think Cleveland wanted Marsh and another one of our top prospects because they know we are desperate for pitching, so they figured they could pull a fast one. Eppler called their bluff and (rightfully) walked away. They probably already had the offer from Texas and really, really liked Clase, and since we don't have a reliever of that quality and control they asked for Marsh to cover the difference. 

While Marsh is a top 100 prospect, Cleveland likely values Clase more right now. 

So while the "equivalent" trade in a vacuum would be something like Buttrey and Hermosillo, it's highly unlikely Cleveland would want Buttrey over Clase. 

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but ultimately it seems Cleveland overplayed their hand and Eppler wasn't willing to part with Marsh AND another top prospect to take on just 2 years of control and $35 million. 

Eppler isn't hoarding. He was smart here. Dipoto makes that trade in a heartbeat and probably throws in Adams for shits and giggles.

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm about to make a stellar point here

I think Cleveland wanted Marsh and another one of our top prospects because they know we are desperate for pitching, so they figured they could pull a fast one. Eppler called their bluff and (rightfully) walked away. They probably already had the offer from Texas and really, really liked Clase, and since we don't have a reliever of that quality and control they asked for Marsh to cover the difference. 

While Marsh is a top 100 prospect, Cleveland likely values Clase more right now. 

So while the "equivalent" trade in a vacuum would be something like Buttrey and Hermosillo, it's highly unlikely Cleveland would want Buttrey over Clase. 

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but ultimately it seems Cleveland overplayed their hand and Eppler wasn't willing to part with Marsh AND another top prospect to take on just 2 years of control and $35 million. 

Eppler isn't hoarding. He was smart here. Dipoto makes that trade in a heartbeat and probably throws in Adams for shits and giggles.

This!

54 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

This.

It’s easy for people to scratch their heads and say “he’s just a reliever.” But maybe the Indians think he could be a starter. The guy throws 102. Also, my son (who remembers everything in baseball) said to me he remembered reading a quote from one of the Indians players after they had faced Clase in his second big league game. The guy apparently said he had the best stuff he’d ever seen, or something like that. 

Also, Clase offers 6 years of control of a guy who could pitch at the back of their bullpen on opening day. A guy who has already succeeded in the majors. 

Even Middleton and Buttrey have less value than that because they have 4 and 5 years of control.

As for the Indians high price for the Angels, maybe they just don’t like any of the Angels prospects. And maybe they couldn’t do the trade without getting back someone who can impact their roster from Day 1. They are trading a former Cy Young winner while still trying to win. 

A second, less likely scenario, is that maybe the Angels wanted the Indians to eat some of Kluber’s salary, and the Rangers didn’t. The Angels did just sell a prospect to create more payroll space so maybe they were trying to do it again. 

Not sure this has been posted:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nobody-really-wanted-corey-kluber/

Quote: "There were reports that Cleveland had asked the Angels for Brandon Marsh, a 50 FV prospect who is in the top 100 on THE BOARD. Looking just through the prism of prospect surplus value, Marsh is too much to give up for Kluber based on Kluber’s expected performance. "