• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Donaldson versus Rendon

Glen

I don't know how some of you guys are fans of a "big market" team. At what point do we stop penny pinching. Rendon is a top 10 offensive player in the game with absolutely no signs of slowing down any time soon; and brings gold glove level defense at a position we've had a black hole at since Glaus. 

Donaldson, while good, is on the decline and is consistently injured. 

1 minute ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I don't know how some of you guys are fans of a "big market" team. At what point do we stop penny pinching. Rendon is a top 10 offensive player in the game with absolutely no signs of slowing down any time soon; and brings gold glove level defense at a position we've had a black hole at since Glaus. 

Yea, Donaldson is just getting worse and worse, while Rendon is still in his prime and probably will be better in 5 years than Donaldson is right now.

Rendon's the better hitter than Donaldson. Hits for power and average and gets on base well. Donaldson's becoming more of a guy who is just a home run guy than just an all around hitter. Donaldson's an elite defensive third basemen but Rendon's pretty good himself. Give Donaldson the slight edge on defense. Although Rendon might struggle in 2020 if he signs with an American League team. A lot of star hitters struggle in their first year in a new league since they get to face a lot of pitchers whom they have never faced before. 

9 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Yea, Donaldson is just getting worse and worse, while Rendon is still in his prime and probably will be better in 5 years than Donaldson is right now.

He hit the second-most HR of his career last year and had his third-best OBP. Yes, I'm cherry-picking. And yes, he is probably due for a decline.  

Rendon is gonna cost $300 million.

30 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

He's only had one sub .900 OPS season since 2015 (2018 - his one season missing a lot of time).    I wouldn't call that declining.   In 2019, played in 155 games with a .900 OPS.

He's also only played in a little over 1,000 regular season MLB games, not exactly a ton of games leading to burn out.

14 minutes ago, Glen said:

I think talks for him would start with Adell and Marsh. I try not to overvalue our prospects but I'd hate to give up both of them.

I'm not so sure.  He's owed a ton of money, so I don't think they can reasonably expect two top prospects AND the team that trades for him to take on all he's owed.  Also, his career slash line away from Coors is .265/.323/.476, which is like a poor man's Donaldson.

2 minutes ago, Bronson said:

He definitely would light a fire under their ass.

I’ve always liked Donaldson. I’ve wanted him since his A’s days. I thought his body was done that final year in Toronto but he proved otherwise last year in Atlanta. 

Obviously Rendon is the better player but Donaldson at say... 3/60? You have to seriously consider it before dropping 250 on Rendon

49 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd rather get Donaldson on a much cheaper, much shorter contract. Rendon is gonna be waaaaaayyyy too expensive. Just my two cents.

I understand this viewpoint, but Rendon is younger, better and a proven winner.  He brings way more to the team than Donaldson does.  Between the two, I'm paying more and gettting Rendon.

Of course, if the Angels got Donaldson, I wouldn't be upset. 😃

Obviously I think everyone would love Rendon first.  But if the Dogs do a Yank and just go nuts, then Donaldson wouldn't be a bad plan b.  

I read one rumor where the Dogs actually value going after Bumgarder more than Rendon, so that may be an opportunity for us to not get in a big bidding war.