• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Plan B: What do you think the best option for the Angels is now?

rafibomb

I haven’t actually seen any mention of Ryu and the Angels linked. Not that it means much. His price is also likely going way up after the crazy deals for the top three. So that’s another reason to err on side of caution. Plus, I imagine LAD will *have* to make a huge bid on one of Ryu, Rendon, or Bumgarner at this point. All three of those guys will be costly, which leads me to think the trade market will yield what we need. 

Would it be worth taking Price’s full $96m back if they threw in Chavis or Benintendi? Angels could use either for a season, or flip one for another arm, perhaps like Ray. 

Sign Rendon or Donaldson, trade for Price and Benintendi, flip Benintendi for Ray. 

Just now, Stradling said:

That works for me.  So what does that deal look like?  Do you eat all of the contract?  If you do can you do that deal without killing the farm because of the money owed and they are looking to shed payroll?

At this point we’re going to have to spend money where possible to save prospects because we’re going to need the few prospects we have to trade for another pitcher. 

So hopefully the Cubs will give up Contreras to shed the Darvish salary

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

No he’s not.  I really don’t think this is the case.  The dodgers work magic constantly, serious doubts until proven otherwise that the Angels can get the same type of performance out of him.  He’s a solid pitcher but he’s not top 5 or top 10 frankly.  He’s not that young and he has significant injury risk.  I can take him or leave him. 

Projection-wise, I can agree with that. But he was crazy good and consistent this last year. There is a ton of risk with him for sure, but he’s the best option left IMO. 

Just now, Don said:

Projection-wise, I can agree with that. But he was crazy good and consistent this last year. There is a ton of risk with him for sure, but he’s the best option left IMO. 

I think we’re in a situation where “the best” of what’s available among the FA pitchers is maybe not the wisest course of action.  They can try and get better 2nd tier pitchers next year. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I think we’re in a situation where “the best” of what’s available among the FA pitchers is maybe not the wisest course of action.  They can try and get better 2nd tier pitchers next year. 

I agree, but go get one, like Keuchel as a safe bet to take some innings and keep you in ball games.  Trade for Darvish.  Do not miss out on Rendon.  

Just now, Stradling said:

I agree, but go get one, like Keuchel as a safe bet to take some innings and keep you in ball games.  Trade for Darvish.  Do not miss out on Rendon.  

Ya I agree with this.  To me the inning eater type is what you go after (Keuchel) and we of course agree on powering up the offense with Rendon. 

I think the idea of eating the Darvish deal to get Contreras has merit but I don’t know if Chicago is doing that. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Ya I agree with this.  To me the inning eater type is what you go after (Keuchel) and we of course agree on powering up the offense with Rendon. 

I think the idea of eating the Darvish deal to get Contreras has merit but I don’t know if Chicago is doing that. 

Then just acquire Darvish, it is basically a 4 year $81 million I think.  He has better stuff than anyone on the market.  

Getting Rendon would make losing an asset like Wilson make a ton more sense. It would probably open up some of our infield depth to be traded for pitching. Signing Ryu in addition would make sense with that 2 players over $20 MIL comment.  If it’s a shorter term deal for higher AAV then that could be solid. 

maybe trade for Syndergaard (no Adell, no canning) and extend his contract. The extension doesn’t have to take hold until his contract is up, so that could help afford Ryu and Rendon. Ohtani is as good as anybody in the league and he has a lot to prove which I think will lead to a great year. 
 Thor/Ohtani/Ryu/Heaney/Bundy/Canning looks very good to me   

47 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Please don’t trade for David Price.  Please.  Disaster.

I don’t think Price would be the disaster everyone thinks-  he wasn’t horrible last year- 1.9 war- I believe that’s better than any of our pitchers last year-  pitchers are very fickle things-  Maddon has a track record with Price-  depending on the “price” 😆 we have to pay, it could work out better for us than Cole in the long run.  Oh-  I also think we get Kris Bryant now-  another former Maddon player.  

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m just a fan of Ryu. Dude just seems to know what he’s doing on the mound. If he stays healthy, I feel confident in his ability to be consistently good. And if he comes at like 4/80-100, then all we have to do is get three good years out of him for that to be worth it. Tons of ifs there, but I’d really like to give a shit in September/October next year. I feel like Ryu is the SP option that best helps meet that goal. I feel like we’ve been waiting another two years for about five years now.

1 minute ago, howie said:

I don’t think Price would be the disaster everyone thinks-  he wasn’t horrible last year- 1.9 war- I believe that’s better than any of our pitchers last year-  pitchers are very fickle things-  Maddon has a track record with Price-  depending on the “price” 😆 we have to pay, it could work out better for us than Cole in the long run.  Oh-  I also think we get Kris Bryant now-  another former Maddon player.  

I’m scared of what we would have to give up for Price. And the miles on him scare me. If he stays the same as what he was in 2019 then he’s a reasonable secondary piece for an already good team. But I fear that he’s nearing his end as a valuable SP.

5 minutes ago, Don said:

I’m just a fan of Ryu. Dude just seems to know what he’s doing on the mound. If he stays healthy, I feel confident in his ability to be consistently good. And if he comes at like 4/80-100, then all we have to do is get three good years out of him for that to be worth it. Tons of ifs there, but I’d really like to give a shit in September/October next year. I feel like Ryu is the SP option that best helps meet that goal. I feel like we’ve been waiting another two years for about five years now.

It depends what the deal is.  I’m way more pessimistic on Bumgarner.  But a big deal for Ryu is pretty scary.  I just don’t see him making that big a difference.  That’s what it boils down to.  How do we look with Ryu and Donaldson vs.  the Yankees, the Astros.  Hell even the A’s.  It’s not that great imo.  Rendon maybe charges the offense up enough to make a difference year over year.  But I don’t know about these older players.  The worst thing that could happen is these guys fucking us in a couple of years (maybe even in 2020 tbh with a guy like Donaldson) then we’ve burned the goddamn money and we in the same dog shit spot. 

don’t even get me started on Price.  Christ no.  Please not him and that contract.  And relief for Boston.  Perfect let’s help out another AL power house.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

It depends what the deal is.  I’m way more pessimistic on Bumgarner.  But a big deal for Ryu is pretty scary.  I just don’t see him making that big a difference.  That’s what it boils down to.  How do we look with Ryu and Donaldson vs.  the Yankees, the Astros.  Hell even the A’s.  It’s not that great imo.  Rendon maybe charges the offense up enough to make a difference year over year.  But I don’t know about these older players.  The worst thing that could happen is these guys fucking us in a couple of years (maybe even in 2020 tbh with a guy like Donaldson) then we’ve burned the goddamn money and we in the same dog shit spot. 

Agreed on Bumgarner. And a 4 year deal for Ryu could screw us, but a 9 year deal for Cole scares me just as much, but at a higher AAV. I’m cool taking that shorter term gamble on Ryu at this point. It’s just a matter of opinion between us, and more ultimately, pure freaking chance.

I don't see any SP options out there that would alone turn the Angels into a legit contender.

Bumgarner cannot pitch on the road (5+ ERA the last two seasons). Also, had his name not been Bumgarner, he wouldn't be looking at anywhere near $100 million (not even half of that, probably)..Ryu is injury prone and had his career year right when he's about to get his contract. Is this a guy you trust to stay healthy for a full season? I wouldn't.David Price was a star a millennia ago. He's also old, injury prone, and expensive. Would you trust him to stay healthy?

While it is true that many of these options would be way better than what the Angels had in the rotation last season, the ultimate goal should be to get to the postseason. I don't think that any of these  options will be anywhere near enough