• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not even a little bummed out for some reason. Glad it's over.

Incoming 20 pages of convincing ourselves we should be happy we didn't pay him that contract.

"Loud Noises!!!" I wanted Cole, I also knew the Yankees would be the biggest obstacle for them given their future rotation issues.   So, I'm not one of those people shocked or all that put out by

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You’re the “I told you so” guy.  

Yea fuck us for having some actual optimism.  

Except that a lot of signs pointed toward him NOT signing with the Angels. The realist in me saw things objectively. I voted on him signing with the Yankees in the MLBTR poll and the poll Scotty put up here. I understand that being a realist is the same as being a pessimist but I choose to live life in reality and not fantasy. I get that many here prefer fantasy although it got out of hand with the Cole obsession and I stated it many times but hey, most optimists will just be really disappointed their dream didn't come true but then go on to the next fantasy and that's fine if they want to live their life that way. I need to start betting against all the fantasyland posters here. I could finally afford the medium sized jacuzzi.

Just now, RBM said:

The bottom line is the Angels don't have an answer to this. They are not this type of organization at this time.

I said this at the time. If the Astros won, he’d be less invested in winning. Since they lost, he might sign with the Yanks. Dipshits here we’re celebrating like the jackbrains they are. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Why is there some thing wrong with high risk / high reward? One team in 30 wins a World Series each year, how does that system imply that it’s wise to make ‘low risk moves?’ 

High risk signings can set you back, make you less flexible. I think Eppler has done a good job building more depth and longevity. It’s not sustainable for the Angels to make huge signings. We have a ton of holes. Improving one particular aspect really well still leaves the other gaps.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Except that a lot of signs pointed toward him NOT signing with the Angels. The realist in me saw things objectively. I voted on him signing with the Yankees in the MLBTR poll and the poll Scotty put up here. I understand that being a realist is the same as being a pessimist but I choose to live life in reality and not fantasy. I get that many here prefer fantasy although it got out of hand with the Cole obsession and I stated it many times but hey, most optimists will just be really disappointed their dream didn't come true but then go on to the next fantasy and that's fine if they want to live their life that way. I need to start betting against all the fantasyland posters here. I could finally afford the medium sized jacuzzi.

Make sure you get a coupon for that jacuzzi 

19 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

This place was absolutely OBSESSED with Cole for months. This is their reaction when you tried to reason with them as to why the Angels wouldn't sign him or how he would cost too much

not interested la la la GIF

The problem isn’t so much missing out on Cole as it is the front office putting all their eggs in one basket. We look like Dipoto trading away guys to make a nicer offer to Ohtani.

Just now, Bronson said:

I hope he goes back to being an average pitcher. He gets paid either way but the Yankees will suffer and it'll be a beautiful thing.

I mean seriously, he could completely fall back to earth in the AL East pitching in Yankee stadium. That would be a tremendously awful contract if that were to happen. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Ok..... Starting to feel a little better. Keep those coming...

Many here have gone over his numbers many times. I made a long post about bWAR and how all the previous FA pitchers were all better than Cole when they hit free agency. I get why you and others are upset though. Eppler has missed out on more players than just Cole and his insanely overpaid contract. The Angels needed pitching and 3 of the top FA pitchers are gone and they Angels weren't close on any of them. Then there is the whole all in quote and raising payroll thing. It's now going to be difficult for Eppler to make the Angels better than the A's and Astros but all we can do is wait and see what Eppler does indeed do or not do for that to happen.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

The problem isn’t so much missing out on Cole as it is the front office putting all their eggs in one basket. We look like Dipoto trading away guys to make a nicer offer to Ohtani.

The problem with thinking like this is the market for starting pitching was set yesterday when Strasburg got the largest deal ever, then today that was beat by $80 fucking million.  So we either gave out the largest deal ever for a pitcher yesterday when I am pretty sure we all thought it was an overpay or do it today when we ONLY offered $50 million above the largest contract ever for a pitcher.