• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels heavily engaged in the catching market, discussing trades with 2 teams

mmc

3 hours ago, ettin said:

Geez, funny you ask! If only there was a blog section on this site that posted off-season primer articles about Angels catching options on Fridays, you'd totally know more!

I appreciate the work on those primers. I know the work that goes into articles like that. I was hoping for names actually being rumored and more than just speculation. I don’t see someone like Flower’s who was just resigned being traded. He hasn’t been mentioned by any sources (as incredible as that can be) as being available that I’ve seen. 

How about Jacob Stallings from the Pirates or Manny Pina from the Brewers?

Stallings doesn't have much of a history in the Majors, but last season he had an OPS of .708, threw out 40% of runners, had 13 DRS (4th among catchers), with good framing, while only starting 53 games. He will be 30 next year, but doesn't become a free agent until after the 2024 season.

Pina had an OPS of .724 (.725 career), threw out 25% of runners (35% career), 6 DRS (12th among catchers), good framing, while also only starting 53 games. Under contract for this season and next season. 

Both provide better offense and framing than Maldonado. Before we traded for Maldonado he had never started more than 66 games. I can't see either guy requiring too much in a trade.

Last season our catchers had -13 DRS (5th worst in baseball), bottom half in framing, OPS .630 (4th worst in baseball)

34 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Stassi projected to outperform Willson Contreras in 2020 by almost double 

Just go get castro or Maldy at this point.  Grandal was the grand prize.  Pretty much every other option is a gift card to sport chalet.  

Sports Chalet sells great flip-flops.

Here's the full article in the LA Times that expands on the initial tweet:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-12-09/mlb-winter-meetings-angels-manager-joe-maddon-need-veteran-catcher

"In his first news conference since being introduced at Angel Stadium in October, Maddon espoused the virtues of having a solid backstop. Like Mike Scioscia and Brad Ausmus before him, Maddon is a former catcher. He believes catchers provide the foundation for a team’s pitching staff.

“You don’t really have good pitching staffs without good catchers,” Maddon said. “It’s almost incongruent.”"

In addition to Contreras, the article mentions Tucker Barnhart as a potential trade target.

At this rate, I’m more interested in a really good defensive catcher - be it someone young, FA, but ultimately cheap to acquire - and a sharp focus in offensive FAs should Cole sign elsewhere. Trade surplus hitters for arms and/or sign best value FA SP you can get. 

12 hours ago, Buttercup said:

I appreciate the work on those primers. I know the work that goes into articles like that. I was hoping for names actually being rumored and more than just speculation. I don’t see someone like Flower’s who was just resigned being traded. He hasn’t been mentioned by any sources (as incredible as that can be) as being available that I’ve seen. 

I get it, I just like to rib people! 😄

15 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

If you promote one of your articles on here again I'm going to shove my tongue in your mouth while you sleep.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

YOU GUYS SHOULD READ MY OFF TOPIC BLOG ON CUP NOODLES, STAT!

We all know what a @tdawg87 article on wet noodles is all about. 😄