• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Yanks offer Gerrit Cole a deal?

I imagine Fletcher has sources in multiple directions- with the team of course but also the Boras folks.  I could see it happening, 8/280 seems high but that seems to be where this is going.  Arte could just say make it so and Cole could say hell yes.  If the cost is more than 8/280 other options need to be considered.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Odd this is getting published so quickly. Almost as though someone wants the Angels to know details so that they can top it.

there is someone in the Yankees camp (I think) intent on wanting to run this entire process through the press for whatever reason.  It's starting to feel like they know Cole is going west and that the

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

Someone knows something, methinks. 

I don't know a thing. But I've been hurt many times in the past, from either my own birdie, fake news or my own expectations....so I'm not getting my hopes up. I hate let downs. 

That said, the Angels work in the night and in the shadows so something big also wouldn't surprise me. 

3 hours ago, floplag said:

IF we lose out of Cole i see 2 options... Remdon, Kuechel, Lindblom or the blockbuster with the Cubs, perhaps a little of both.
If we cant out pitch them we better out hit them. 

you can out hit anybody for a game or even a series, but if you can't pitch, then you're done. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I don't know a thing. But I've been hurt many times in the past, from either my own birdie, fake news or my own expectations....so I'm not getting my hopes up. I hate let downs. 

That said, the Angels work in the night and in the shadows so something big also wouldn't surprise me. 

That’s the one reason I think there’s a tiny chance something could be up. The Angels have always kept a tight ship on leaks. 

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

No not the bonus.  The deferred money.  It gets decreased to present day value for the playing time portion.  So while he gets paid $12.5 million for 5 years after his playing days are over.  I believe for official AAV, that is treated as less because they subtract the theoretical interest.  That's why MLB treats his contract as present day of $193.8 million.  It's really just a difference in accounting methods.   But I believe for official terms, the MLB present day figures are the correct ones.  

l thought you couldn't do that. lt doesn't sound fair if it's not counted as AAV. Why not just pay Trout $20M/yr. and defer the rest. That way we can sign more FAs without going over the tax threshold...

Edit: Are you sure about the deferred money not counting towards the AAV. Every where I read says Greinke has the highest current AAV for a pitcher at $34.4M. Rosenthal also reported the same thing on this video:

https://www.mlb.com/news/gerrit-cole-rumors

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

The only way I think a deal actually happened is if Cole wanted to be an Angel all along (very possible) and Arte/Billy came in with a take it or leave it offer so big that Cole couldn't say no. Like 8/$284M.  Then this makes sense, and it also makes sense that Fletcher would post the "surprised eyes" at such a figure. 

On the other hand, the skeptic in me says that this is probably just a bit of trolling on Fletcher's part, and we are all reading way too much into it.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only way I think a deal actually happened is if Cole wanted to be an Angel all along (very possible) and Arte/Billy came in with a take it or leave it offer so big that Cole couldn't say no. Like 8/$284M.  Then this makes sense, and it also makes sense that Fletcher would post the "surprised eyes" at such a figure. 

On the other hand, the skeptic in me says that this is probably just a bit of trolling on Fletcher's part, and we are all reading way too much into it.

This is pretty much my feeling on it. The skeptic in me says it's unlikely, but there's a chance, I guess.

What a bizarre evening. Kudos, @Jeff Fletcher - you've kept us all on the edge of our seats.

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

None of that matters GB.  The best speculation that’ being reported by the national writers is that the offers are starting at 245 million.  You’re automatically making us losers in the bidding. 

I definitely agree that if we do end up losing on Cole they need to move to Rendon and Keuchel. 

Can Rendon pitch? Cause we could have Trout clones at every position, but without pitching it won't matter...