• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels in the running for Gerrit Cole as winter meetings open

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

They lost 90 games with the worst pitching in the  league, with injuries to Upton, Simmons, and La Stella for large portions of the season. Also  they suffered through injuries with Ohtani, and Trout. Signing a couple of top pitchers and a full season of Ohtani on the mound, could turn those 90 loses into 90+ wins. The Angels could be an exciting team to watch.

Once you make the playoffs anything is possible with quality pitching and the best player in the world on your team...

not that we should put a ton of stock in this, but projections currently have them about even with the A's and about 14 games behind the astros with the 6th best offense and pitching in the lower 3rd.  

The Astros  far and away have the highest total predicted btw.  by 4 games over the dogs and 7 games over the yankees for example.  I still contend that not being able to cheat is going to have a material impact on them going forward.  Not just from the fact that they'll no longer have an edge but mentally.  

Right now we're in the 82-85 win range.  With Cole, we move into the 88-91 win range.  And one thing of note is that projections don't give hardly any credit to young or less proven players like Rengifo, Thaiss, Adell, Goodwin, Canning, Sandoval or even guys like Fletcher and Ohtani.   

With Cole, I think we're pretty similar to where the Nats ended up last year.  And think that rotation is pretty comparable from the top down.  

35 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not that we should put a ton of stock in this, but projections currently have them about even with the A's and about 14 games behind the astros with the 6th best offense and pitching in the lower 3rd.  

The Astros  far and away have the highest total predicted btw.  by 4 games over the dogs and 7 games over the yankees for example.  I still contend that not being able to cheat is going to have a material impact on them going forward.  Not just from the fact that they'll no longer have an edge but mentally.  

Right now we're in the 82-85 win range.  With Cole, we move into the 88-91 win range.  And one thing of note is that projections don't give hardly any credit to young or less proven players like Rengifo, Thaiss, Adell, Goodwin, Canning, Sandoval or even guys like Fletcher and Ohtani.   

With Cole, I think we're pretty similar to where the Nats ended up last year.  And think that rotation is pretty comparable from the top down.  

Good piece. It still baffles me to see how the Yankees could afford Cole if they wanted to get back under the tax. They’d need to make some serious moves to get under. Yankees seem extremely desperate if the rumors are true. With Arte in a place to spend big money and be able to match any offer, I still lean towards Cole going to Anaheim. I’m sure the Yankees sold them on the fact of their history and the fact that they’re basically one piece away from winning. Angels probably showed him more of their plan to be a dominant team and as well as being near family, philanthropy in his hometown, playing for one of the best coaches, best pitching coach, Ohtani (who he’s a big fan of), playing with Pujols who is the father of baseball and oh yeah some guy name Mike Trout.

Just remember Gerrit Cole. When you’re ready to start a family would you rather do it in New York? Where you won’t see your wife and kids for the summer? Or start your family at home in Southern California where your extended family lives? You can be with your wife and kids during the season and they will have the support of your family. 

31 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Just remember Gerrit Cole. When you’re ready to start a family would you rather do it in New York? Where you won’t see your wife and kids for the summer? Or start your family at home in Southern California where your extended family lives? You can be with your wife and kids during the season and they will have the support of your family. 

That last part though...SPOT ON.

Just now, RBM said:

Who would be our Patrick Corbin in this  comparison?

that would be a bit of a gap but we have more depth after that.  It would be really nice to somehow fill that gap with another solid starter though.  But overall wins mostly.  

their rotation was amazing as to how it was setup for the playoffs especially which we wouldn't match up as well.  

I would say the Mets have the best chance of having a similar top 3 if they were able to get to the post season.  That team, btw, should be going all in on a guy like Rendon.  With the FA class being what it is, it's kinda spread the wealth out a bit.  The best teams have those top two guys but no one really stands out beyond that.  Maybe the Rays or Indians (if they get a healthy Kluber).  

Adding one more good starter and we might be better than I realized.  

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yep. I agree. And it’s why I wanted to see Eppler aim higher than Dylan Bundy. Maybe he becomes that third guy. Who knows. I do know it was a good trade - unless Kyle Bradish becomes a top of the rotation guy. Even then the timing is right now.

If Eppler’s offseason for SP is Cole and Bundy we are obviously in a better position but I would have preferred Cole and someone who is a legitimate third starter in a playoff series. 

If Bradish becomes a top of the rotation guy then I'll eat my hat.  Peek and Brnovich are more of the wild cards at this point and even though we have really seen much, it's safe to say we didn't give up anything more than depth.  Which does hurt, mind you, as we don't really have any on the pitching side.  It was a fair trade.  

It was actually a smart trade for the O's because most of the guys we gave up have some higher end relief potential which tends to bring more back in trade if those types can establish themselves.  

Personally, I would have rather they sign Gibson and try to go volume on a trade for a pitcher with more upside even if less consistent.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Personally, I would have rather they sign Gibson and try to go volume on a trade for a pitcher with more upside even if less consistent.  

Ditto...   Gibson and Pineda have now signed for 50 mil combined for a combined total of 5 years.      As someone that warned the Yankees needed to address their future rotation and that the Rangers would be FA players the situation as it stands now is annoying but not unexpected.  

This has played out exactly as I didn't want it to.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ditto...   Gibson and Pineda have now signed for 50 mil combined for a combined total of 5 years.      As someone that warned the Yankees needed to address their future rotation and that the Rangers would be FA players the situation as it stands now is annoying but not unexpected.  

pretty much.  I was hoping they'd come out of the gate and get one of those two FA pitchers and a solid catcher.  Instead, we've cut into our farm depth a bit for the equivalent of Ricky Nolasco.  Not liking the timeline so far.  

I am warming to the idea of Keuchel depending on cost as the 2nd guy.  You kinda know what you are getting with him.  Imagine Cole, Keuchel and Bundy giving them 550 innings next year.  If I’m not mistaken that is more innings than our starters gave us in 162 games last year.  I realize they aren’t great, outside of Cole, but you win games tomorrow by a rested bullpen today.  

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is really the biggest blunder of the offseason so far. Sure I would've loved Grandal or Wheeler, but Gibson and Pineda would've been huge lifts for this rotation at minimal cost. It really does feel like Eppler is putting all his cash in the Cole basket and planning on addressing other needs through small trades or minor signings... So yes, quite disappointed. And then if we don't land Cole we are seriously F'd.

This really is a case of the Nervous Nellies. We should really wait until Spring Training is here to start deciding if we won or lost the off-season. In fact we may be waiting that long if Boras, as he often does, drags the market out to the last possible minute.

Patience.

5 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Good piece. It still baffles me to see how the Yankees could afford Cole if they wanted to get back under the tax. They’d need to make some serious moves to get under. Yankees seem extremely desperate if the rumors are true. With Arte in a place to spend big money and be able to match any offer, I still lean towards Cole going to Anaheim. I’m sure the Yankees sold them on the fact of their history and the fact that they’re basically one piece away from winning. Angels probably showed him more of their plan to be a dominant team and as well as being near family, philanthropy in his hometown, playing for one of the best coaches, best pitching coach, Ohtani (who he’s a big fan of), playing with Pujols who is the father of baseball and oh yeah some guy name Mike Trout.

They were under the threshold last year and reset their penalty to zero. I doubt they care about going over this year especially if they can grab Cole.