Sign in to follow this  
AngelsWin.com

OC Register: Source: Stephen Strasburg, Angels had face-to-face meeting

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not that it matters much but Cole won’t turn 30 until September.  He is entering his age 29 season.  Strasburg is entering his age 31 season.  

I like Cole. I think he’s amazing but.......if he’s going to be counted on to throw 230+ innings for multiple years, idk how long he’s going to last. Nobody does. 

We should all be able to share our ideas and opinions here. However, when we are inaccurate and the inaccuracy is brought up we should address it  

Do you still believe this is true?

“Most on here are getting off hard to the idea of signing Cole for 8 years” @Vladdylonglegs?

6 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I like Cole. I think he’s amazing but.......if he’s going to be counted on to throw 230+ innings for multiple years, idk how long he’s going to last. Nobody does. 

Then don’t throw him 230 plus innings?  

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Why would he be counted on to throw 230+ innings?  No one has pitched at least 230.00 innings in the regular season since 2016 (Price) and Cole has never pitched that many innings (last season was his career high).  

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

We should all be able to share our ideas and opinions here. However, when we are inaccurate and the inaccuracy is brought up we should address it  

“Most on here are getting off hard to the idea of signing Cole for 8 years” @Vladdylonglegs?

Right.  If we choose to make comments that are generalizations and those generalizations are untrue, you should be called out for it.  It would be like me saying, “most people were on board with signing Cahill”, when I was pretty much the only one who thought it wasn’t that bad of a signing at the time.

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Why would he be counted on to throw 230+ innings?  No one has pitched at least 230.00 innings in the regular season since 2016 (Price) and Cole has never pitched that many innings (last season was his career high).  

(Insert regular season + post season stats here)

You can say the same thing about any pitcher.  Cole is 29, has pitched 1,200 innings in the majors and averaged 205 innings the last three years during which he's thrown at least 200 innings each of those years.  Strasburg is two years older, has pitched over 1,400 innings in the majors and averaged 171 innings the last three years while throwing over 200 innings only one of those years and only twice in 8 full years in the majors.  I'll take either on the Angels and obviously cost is a factor but between the two I think most would say Cole is more likely to stay healthy and produce over the next ~5 years.  

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Well I guess you’re just used to quiet Octobers. I understand. 

10 minutes ago, RBM said:

It is true. Everyone is on board with a record breaking contract that will pay him outrageous money into his mid/late 30s. What is inaccurate?

3 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It is true. Everyone is on board with a record breaking contract that will pay him outrageous money into his mid/late 30s. What is inaccurate?

Well, the "Most on here are getting off hard to the idea of signing Cole for 8 years" part

Some people (and we know who they are) just talk out of their ass.  It's like a fart.  Some of them are loud, but don't necessarily smell and some are silent but deadly. Then there's the loud, smelly farts and that's what we get a lot of in here.   Rational people leave the room when there is a loud, smelly fart in the room.  That being said, there's usually a WTF before they depart - but they know sticking around is pointless. The really gifted people are the one's who can return the favor before departing. The original offender is left alone, smelling their own fart and wondering where everyone went.  The point is that you eventually have to leave these a-holes alone to wallow in their own crap.

Ok, I will ask, who here has a hard on at the idea of signing Cole to an 8 year deal?  

Next question, who here would rather have him on a shorter deal, but would tolerate an 8 year deal if that is what it takes to sign the best pitcher in baseball?  

@Vladdylonglegs this would be a good thread you could start, make it a poll question.  

Still think it’s really convenient this article came out about Boras client Strasburg and the Angels just as the article about Boras client and Cole and the Yankees came out. Feels a little Boras-coordinated to drive up offers or get other teams involved, probably an indicator that talks are progressing for at least one of them. 

Edited by totdprods

59 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

The Angels have hit the desperation button. After a death, injuries and the lack of qualify player development in pitching they have no other choice but to buy a pitcher. Now they’re going to have to go overboard to pay for one. Looking back at Wilson, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, Richards, Ohtani and a few others, none of them either through injuries or lack of talent stepped up to be a true long term Ace. Ohtani still has that potential but being a two-way player will most likely prevent that. Cole would certainly fill that role but 7 or 8 years for a 30 year old is a huge gamble for any team. 

Kudos for changing "destruction" to desperation, but even after the edit you seriously have the most skewed negative view of things possible..     

A person could just as easily argue that after spending four years rebuilding the farm, adding depth to the system, locking up their franchise player and securing their park, they are ready to go big..   ALL of these things are net positives that figure to impact the franchise in a positive way for years to come  -- it's signs of progress..   Spending now to get a legitimate ace when they have multiple SPs all under the age of 24 and in AAA or on the cusp of MLB could just as easily be viewed as an attempt to build their team with an eye towards the future as it is an act of desperation..  But in your world -- it's always the opposite.   People really should stop wasting time looking back -- it serves no purpose other than to focus on what didn't work..   The here and now is all that matters -- monies spent on bad decisions no longer on the books have no bearing on future possibilities.   

The Angels will need to spend to sign Cole, so will any team already a WS contender and primed to win that wants to sign him.

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Another poll

Will it be Cole or Coal this winter?

Well the good news is you’ll either be right or you’ll be happy.  This is a win win for you.  He either signs with the Angels and you’ll be able to say you knew it.  Or he signs with the Yankees and you’ll be wrong, but happy he is signing with your favorite team. 

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Which speaks to my point. When it comes to every other player people don't want to pay for their past success. With Cole everyone does. Why?

Do you believe all players are equal?   Are Reggie Willits and Mike Trout the same?  They both played CF.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Well the good news is you’ll either be right or you’ll be happy.  This is a win win for you.  He either signs with the Angels and you’ll be able to say you knew it.  Or he signs with the Yankees and you’ll be wrong, but happy he is signing with your favorite team. 

It’s like ordering a double double. Animal style.