• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Imagining a Cole-less offseason

Angelsjunky

I think a lot of people are of a very narrow view of things and are perhaps a bit too rigid in how they apply it.
You can win in this game without an ace, half the playoff teams last year didnt have what i would call an "ace" although a couple had ace like seasons maybe. 

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Castellanos sucks defensively at multiple positions.  I still can’t tell if that is more or less valuable than just sucking at one position. 

Ideally, he moves into a full time 1B/DH role, but for a year, he could serve as some back-up. We have a good team defensively overall. Easy to move him to 1B late in game, get Pujols some extra rest, and put Hermosillo in RF. 

If he keeps improving offensively, you could get a .900+ OPS guy at 1B/DH in his prime years for $15m AAV. Pretty solid and maybe worth tolerating for a year of poor defense at multiple positions.

Last four years he’s averaging 41 doubles, 6 triples, 27 HR, and a .286/.336/.504/.840 OPS, and he’s only 28 next year. Hasn’t hit below .272 in that time which is fairly well above-average in this day and age. Absolutely mashed for the Cubs last summer. It’d essentially mean less of a reliance on Pujols too, more than anything.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ideally, he moves into a full time 1B/DH role, but for a year, he could serve as some back-up. We have a good team defensively overall. Easy to move him to 1B late in game, get Pujols some extra rest, and put Hermosillo in RF. 

If he keeps improving offensively, you could get a .900+ OPS guy at 1B/DH in his prime years for $15m AAV. Pretty solid and maybe worth tolerating for a year of poor defense at multiple positions.

Can we stop with the "he moves to full time 1B/DH posts, its not going to happen as long as Pujols is on the roster.  Just stop it please your kidding yourselves. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Can we stop with the "he moves to full time 1B/DH posts, its not going to happen as long as Pujols is on the roster.  Just stop it please your kidding yourselves. 

Why? 2021 will be Pujols’ last year. Entirely plausible that with a 26th roster spot and a .900 OPS 1B, Bert is relegated to PH/part-time duties. That could happen this year.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Why? 2021 will be Pujols’ last year. Entirely plausible that with a 26th roster spot and a .900 OPS 1B, Bert is relegated to PH/part-time duties. That could happen this year.

Next year, sure, this year, no, unless hes hurt or otherwise unavailable or grossly under performs. 

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think a lot of people are of a very narrow view of things and are perhaps a bit too rigid in how they apply it.
You can win in this game without an ace, half the playoff teams last year didnt have what i would call an "ace" although a couple had ace like seasons maybe. 

And the two teams in the World Series had aces.  Actually you could say there were 5 aces in the World Series between the two teams.
My goal is not to be a playoff team.  I am sorry but I am past that.  I want the front office to build a team ready to beat other playoff teams, the ones with marginal pitching that don’t end up in the World Series.

Edited by Dtwncbad

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

And the two teams in the World Series had aces.  Actually you could say there were 5 aces in the World Series between the two teams.
My goal is not to be a playoff team.  I am sorry but I am past that.  I want the front office to build a team ready to beat other playoff teams, the ones with marginal pitching that don’t end up in the World Series.

Correct, see post about the scores in those games.  None of them were pitching duels or dominated by them. 
I agree im past that, i want another title for this club, but there is more than one way to do that.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

The idea of a 40 year-old Pujols becoming part-time is not far fetched, with the advent of a 26th roster spot.   As decent as he was in 2019...again, he turns 40 in 2020 and the WAR is negligible.

How many 40 year-olds in the past, with his physical girth, have started at least 100 games in the field?

as said if he isnt performing or gets hurt, of course it will, otherwise, nope

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

The idea of a 40 year-old Pujols becoming part-time is not far fetched, with the advent of a 26th roster spot.   As decent as he was in 2019...again, he turns 40 in 2020 and the WAR is negligible.

How many 40 year-olds in the past, with his physical girth, have started at least 100 games in the field?

Yup. They’ve never had anyone on roster outperform him to bump him, and because they were already paying him $24m annually, it was kinda dumb to sign another long-term FA 1B and spend more money there.

That argument could be used against signing Castellanos, but he can also play RF/LF/DH this year until Adell truly arrives. Every year that Pujols’ contract draws closer to the end, signing a new 1B becomes more feasible. 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ohtani gets 90 DH starts, Pujols gets 50 DH starts and 40 1B starts, and Castellanos could then get 20 DH starts and 120 1B starts (pretty much fulltime).

Sign Cole, sign Castro for $5m, sign Castellanos for $15m. If still worried about rotation, try and swing a trade for Robbie Ray, Matt Boyd, or Jose Quintana. Could use Thaiss or even Goodwin as trade pieces with Castellanos on board. Or could just sign someone like Lindblom or Roark if prefer keeping everyone. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sign Cole, sign Castro for $5m, sign Castellanos for $15m. If still worried about rotation, try and swing a trade for Robbie Ray, Matt Boyd, or Jose Quintana. Could use Thaiss or even Goodwin as trade pieces with Castellanos on board. Or could just sign someone like Lindblom or Roark if prefer keeping everyone. 

Cole, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Sandoval wouldn't be a bad rotation, pending being healthy.     They now have a real pitching coach (not a computer guy) to mentor them. 

This lineup by mid-2020 wouldn't be too bad either.

LaStella, Trout, Castellanos, Ohtani/Pujols, Upton, Adell, Simba, catcher's spot, Fletcher

Edited by Angel Oracle

43 minutes ago, floplag said:

Astros had 3 aces. Nationals had two. It could be easily argued dodgers had 3. Twins had 1. Rays had 1, borderline 2. 

Maybe I'm too old school but I'm not ok with Pena starting a playoff game.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Astros had 3 aces. Nationals had two. It could be easily argued dodgers had 3. Twins had 1. Rays had 1, borderline 2. 

Maybe I'm too old school but I'm not ok with Pena starting a playoff game.

True, but again see the game scores... there were no 2-1 duels. 

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Cole, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Sandoval wouldn't be a bad rotation, pending being healthy.     They now have a real pitching coach (not a computer guy) to mentor them. 

This lineup by mid-2020 wouldn't be too bad either.

LaStella, Trout, Castellanos, Ohtani/Pujols, Upton, Adell, Simba, catcher's spot, Fletcher

The rotation depth still has me a little concerned - I have a lot more faith in the youngsters than most here, but if Bundy IS the second acquired behind a presumptive Cole, then I’d like to see them at least start the year or ST with a flier like Smyly, Nova, Moore, Hellickson, if not someone better like Roark, Lindblom, Hill, etc.

Not hard to DFA or trade a vet flier SP type in May if they blow and a kid is ready.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The rotation depth still has me a little concerned - I have a lot more faith in the youngsters than most here, but if Bundy IS the second acquired behind a presumptive Cole, then I’d like to see them at least start the year or ST with a flier like Smyly, Nova, Moore, Hellickson, if not someone better like Roark, Lindblom, Hill, etc.

Not hard to DFA or trade a vet flier SP type in May if they blow and a kid is ready.

I actually like our depth. Obviously the quality could be better but if the pitchers were better they wouldn't be "depth".

If we get Cole, we are 10 starters deep. Remember, we have Dillon Peters who is probably as good as any "flier" we could take.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ohtani gets 90 DH starts, Pujols gets 50 DH starts and 40 1B starts, and Castellanos could then get 20 DH starts and 120 1B starts (pretty much fulltime).

If Ohtani gets 25 starts, that means there will be 137 games he isn’t starting.  If he only gets 90 starts at DH, that seems way too low.

He would only be the DH in like 65% of games he isn’t pitching in?

90 at DH and 25 starts on the mound is 115 games played.  He just sits 47 games?

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I actually like our depth. Obviously the quality could be better but if the pitchers were better they wouldn't be "depth".

If we get Cole, we are 10 starters deep. Remember, we have Dillon Peters who is probably as good as any "flier" we could take.

If we had a little more durability in the top 5-6, I’d be just fine with that Top 10, but I’m still really leery with the fact no one on the roster right now, aside from Bundy, has done more than a single full season in the rotation. Signing one more guy who has a reasonable track record of making 30 GS/160-180 IP, even if mediocre, makes me feel a little better, at least until a month or two passes and we see that the other Top 10 are proving healthy. Especially with Pena likely missing some time at start of the year. 

Just get them as an insurance policy. Let’s say something horrible happens - Canning or Sandoval need TJS in ST - and then someone like Bundy, Cole, or Heaney pull a hammy or miss the first few weeks...do we really want to be counting on a bunch of rookies who had a collective 6.00 ERA right out of the gate? Get someone cheap to help soak up innings, at least in April/May while everyone is still getting stretched out so we don’t kill the pen and give them the Cody Allen boot once we see things are stable.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If Ohtani gets 25 starts, that means there will be 137 games he isn’t starting.  If he only gets 90 starts at DH, that seems way too low.

He would only be the DH in like 65% of games he isn’t pitching in?

90 at DH and 25 starts on the mound is 115 games played.  He just sits 47 games?

Remember he will sit day before and day after he pitches too, if there’s a game. And I imagine they’ll play it fairly conservatively with him too. He also won’t play in NL parks, so he’ll get some PH usage too. 

Edited by totdprods