Sign in to follow this  
mymerlincat

Dylan Bundy to the Angels for Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish, and Kyle Brnovich

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

2018. Bundy has never has a season as good as Heaney was in 2018. I think we will see Heaney return to 2018 form this year. He needs to stay healthy obviously.

Thing about Bundy is he has given up more HR's than anyone in MLB the past two years. I don't see how adding another #5/6 starter helps us. I think both Canning and Heaney will be better than Bundy this year.

At least we didn't give up a high level prospect like some were advocating last week.

That's the only full season Heaney has ever pitched and he was worth a 101 ERA+ and 1.4 bWAR.

In 2017, Bundy was worth a 102 ERA+ and 2.7 bWAR.

But yes, obviously Heaney is more likely to repeat his only full season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orioles trade Major League Arm for Isaac Rondon, Kyle Rondon, Zach Rondon, and Kyle Rondon Jr.

In all seriousness, I'm rather indifferent on this trade. I see Mattson as a Shoemaker-esque sleeper, but none of those guys are irreplaceable. But my problem with Bundy is that he's not much of an upgrade over Felix Pena/Dillon Peters. It makes sense if the Angels were going after two other starters, but it seems more likely they're going all in on Cole.

Still, this isn't a bad rotation: Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, with depth of Suarez/Barria/Peters/F Pena. I can live with that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Worth mentioning too that Bundy has still managed to post a better ERA+ and exactly twice the bWAR of Heaney though, managing 50 more games and about 200 more innings too, all while being almost two years younger than Heaney.

Yes, he has stayed healthy. Heaney hasn't. That's pretty obvious when you look at their history.

My point in looking at 2018 was not to recap their career to date. It was to show Heaney has the potential to be better than Bundy. He already showed us in 2018 he can perform like a #3.

Like I said he needs to stay healthy this year and I think he will.

Bundy is just an innings eater, and yeah we can use an innings eater, but nothing he has done shows us he can be more than a #5. I hope he can be more than that but I'm not excited about this move, especially if he is Eppler's second piece and not a third piece. We need to add top of the rotation arms and this isn't that. If Eppler adds three SP's and Bundy is #3 then I'm good with this. If he adds only two then Bundy is not the 2nd SP I would want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bundy’s career is pretty damn comparable to Kyle Gibson’s last three years - and the Rangers are paying him $20m over the next two seasons. Bundy for arb and fringe prospects is a good example of paying good value here. 

Edited by totdprods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Orioles trade Major League Arm for Isaac Rondon, Kyle Rondon, Zach Rondon, and Kyle Rondon Jr.

In all seriousness, I'm rather indifferent on this trade. I see Mattson as a Shoemaker-esque sleeper, but none of those guys are irreplaceable. But my problem with Bundy is that he's not much of an upgrade over Felix Pena/Dillon Peters. It makes sense if the Angels were going after two other starters, but it seems more likely they're going all in on Cole.

Still, this isn't a bad rotation: Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, with depth of Suarez/Barria/Peters/F Pena. I can live with that.

 

 

That's still a lot of question marks.  And man, Cole is just counting the money he can get from us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glen said:

 

That's still a lot of question marks.  And man, Cole is just counting the money he can get from us.  

Yeah. Both Odorizzi and Wheeler going elsewhere is a blow. It is feeling like Cole or bust, which is not a good place to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

My point in looking at 2018 was not to recap their career to date. It was to show Heaney has the potential to be better than Bundy. He already showed us in 2018 he can perform like a #3

Just gonna quote myself again for no reason.

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's the only full season Heaney has ever pitched and he was worth a 101 ERA+ and 1.4 bWAR.

In 2017, Bundy was worth a 102 ERA+ and 2.7 bWAR.

But yes, obviously Heaney is more likely to repeat his only full season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Orioles trade Major League Arm for Isaac Rondon, Kyle Rondon, Zach Rondon, and Kyle Rondon Jr.

In all seriousness, I'm rather indifferent on this trade. I see Mattson as a Shoemaker-esque sleeper, but none of those guys are irreplaceable. But my problem with Bundy is that he's not much of an upgrade over Felix Pena/Dillon Peters. It makes sense if the Angels were going after two other starters, but it seems more likely they're going all in on Cole.

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of wish you'd go back to posting vaguely homoerotic photos from your private collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bundy may well be a solid #4 starter here, if he continues to lay off throwing the 4 seamer.   4.30 ERA and 8 HRs allowed in 67 innings post-ASB = I'm good with that type of pitching from a #4 for a whole season.

Dude at least has averaged 168 innings/season since 2017.   Here, that is remarkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bundy may well be a solid #4 starter here, if he continues to lay off throwing the 4 seamer.   4.30 ERA and 8 HRs allowed in 67 innings post-ASB = I'm good with that type of pitching from a #4 for a whole season.

Dude at least has averaged 168 innings/season since 2017.   Here, that is remarkable.

All he needs to do is give us 30 GS/170 IP of 4.50 ball, at a minimum. If he does that the next two years, he does his job. We’ve struggled to get even that out of basically anyone the last few seasons. Anything better is bonus, and is totally within reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

All he needs to do is give us 30 GS/170 IP of 4.50 ball, at a minimum. If he does that the next two years, he does his job. We’ve struggled to get even that out of basically anyone the last few seasons. Anything better is bonus, and is totally within reason. 

Do you think Eppler still needs to add two more starting pitchers better than Bundy?

OR

Do you think Bundy is the second SP Eppler said he was pursuing and now that we have Bundy we only need one more top of the order starting pitcher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

Do you think Eppler still needs to add two more starting pitchers better than Bundy?

OR

Do you think Bundy is the second SP Eppler said he was pursuing and now that we have Bundy we only need one more top of the order starting pitcher?

If Bundy is the second starting pitcher this idea, then Eppler deserves to be fired. You can't talk about improving the team and roll out Harvey and Cahill and Bundy. 

Bundy should be a back of the rotation starter. The Angels have a whole bunch of those already. None as proven as Bundy, but it really doesn't move the needle much.

Cole does. Strasburg would too. Wheeler would've. Odorizzi likely would have. Hamels maybe would have. Bumgarner, not so much. Ryu would, if he's healthy. Big if. Teheran, Roark, Miley etc.... They don't move the needle pretty much at all.

Arte and Billy are running short on options though, unless they convince someone to trade Gray or Syndergaard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this