• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy to the Angels for Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish, and Kyle Brnovich

mmc

Bundy’s career is pretty damn comparable to Kyle Gibson’s last three years - and the Rangers are paying him $20m over the next two seasons. Bundy for arb and fringe prospects is a good example of paying good value here. 

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Orioles trade Major League Arm for Isaac Rondon, Kyle Rondon, Zach Rondon, and Kyle Rondon Jr.

In all seriousness, I'm rather indifferent on this trade. I see Mattson as a Shoemaker-esque sleeper, but none of those guys are irreplaceable. But my problem with Bundy is that he's not much of an upgrade over Felix Pena/Dillon Peters. It makes sense if the Angels were going after two other starters, but it seems more likely they're going all in on Cole.

Still, this isn't a bad rotation: Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, with depth of Suarez/Barria/Peters/F Pena. I can live with that.

That's still a lot of question marks.  And man, Cole is just counting the money he can get from us.  

8 minutes ago, RBM said:

My point in looking at 2018 was not to recap their career to date. It was to show Heaney has the potential to be better than Bundy. He already showed us in 2018 he can perform like a #3

Just gonna quote myself again for no reason.

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's the only full season Heaney has ever pitched and he was worth a 101 ERA+ and 1.4 bWAR.

In 2017, Bundy was worth a 102 ERA+ and 2.7 bWAR.

But yes, obviously Heaney is more likely to repeat his only full season.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Orioles trade Major League Arm for Isaac Rondon, Kyle Rondon, Zach Rondon, and Kyle Rondon Jr.

In all seriousness, I'm rather indifferent on this trade. I see Mattson as a Shoemaker-esque sleeper, but none of those guys are irreplaceable. But my problem with Bundy is that he's not much of an upgrade over Felix Pena/Dillon Peters. It makes sense if the Angels were going after two other starters, but it seems more likely they're going all in on Cole.

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of wish you'd go back to posting vaguely homoerotic photos from your private collection.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bundy may well be a solid #4 starter here, if he continues to lay off throwing the 4 seamer.   4.30 ERA and 8 HRs allowed in 67 innings post-ASB = I'm good with that type of pitching from a #4 for a whole season.

Dude at least has averaged 168 innings/season since 2017.   Here, that is remarkable.

All he needs to do is give us 30 GS/170 IP of 4.50 ball, at a minimum. If he does that the next two years, he does his job. We’ve struggled to get even that out of basically anyone the last few seasons. Anything better is bonus, and is totally within reason. 

14 minutes ago, RBM said:

Do you think Eppler still needs to add two more starting pitchers better than Bundy?

OR

Do you think Bundy is the second SP Eppler said he was pursuing and now that we have Bundy we only need one more top of the order starting pitcher?

If Bundy is the second starting pitcher this idea, then Eppler deserves to be fired. You can't talk about improving the team and roll out Harvey and Cahill and Bundy. 

Bundy should be a back of the rotation starter. The Angels have a whole bunch of those already. None as proven as Bundy, but it really doesn't move the needle much.

Cole does. Strasburg would too. Wheeler would've. Odorizzi likely would have. Hamels maybe would have. Bumgarner, not so much. Ryu would, if he's healthy. Big if. Teheran, Roark, Miley etc.... They don't move the needle pretty much at all.

Arte and Billy are running short on options though, unless they convince someone to trade Gray or Syndergaard. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@totdprods Looks like the Angels paid quite a bit less than what you and I were talking to a few days ago. 

What was the thought? Suarez, Bradish, Thaiss, Aquino, etc....

Definitely less, but, I do think it was a bit of a quantity over quality deal. Does one Thaiss/Barria equal those four arms? I didn’t think it would cost two good prospects like Thaiss and Barria, but I though we’d have to cough up someone who was a name. 

Overall I like the deal a lot. All of those arms are fairly interchangeable with any number of other guys already in the system, or replaceable in the draft, and the ceiling for most is no different from what we can pluck off waivers usually. 

Take it as a good sign that both Eppler and the Orioles valued our Top 15, even 20, guys as being too much to pay for Bundy, which is a good reflection of the value our Top 20 does indeed have. 

"Still, this isn't a bad rotation: Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, with depth of Suarez/Barria/Peters/F Pena. I can live with that."

You can live with it but you can win a WS with it. Cole is no guarantee. This could get ugly. Bundy may hopefully pitch better with better defence behind him.  

41 minutes ago, RBM said:

Do you think Eppler still needs to add two more starting pitchers better than Bundy?

OR

Do you think Bundy is the second SP Eppler said he was pursuing and now that we have Bundy we only need one more top of the order starting pitcher?

Both? That’s what I’m alluding to about why this deal is so good - for now. It gives Billy a ton of leverage and flexibility. Bundy is a great safety net to have as the rest of the offseason plays out.

Assuming they sign Cole, he’s added two solid, durable SPs to a young promising rotation, only one of whom will take up significant money. So from there, he has three options...

• Sit back on Bumgarner, Ryu, maybe guys like Teheran, Keuchel, Wood, Roark, arguably the top FA arms remaining after Cole/Strasburg, and see how things play out. Maybe someone winds up like Keuchel last year, and the Angels snag someone on a really good value deal. Similarly, this can apply to the trade market, especially someone like Robbie Ray. 
  • He can go cheap (Bailey, Hellickson, Smyly) on the rotation or stand pat, and instead turn his focus and dollars to offense - something that should be a strength and double-down to make it stronger, and hope the young arms step forward. He could sign maybe a Castellanos, Donaldson, other IF options (Castro, Hernandez, Gennett) and/or Souza or Pillar for RF 1-yr deals, Castro for C, etc., and if any of those deals pay off, move hitter prospects at the deadline for established arms
  • He can go big on the rotation, sign Cole, sign the next best arm he can find like Bumgarner or Keuchel, and then perhaps deal a young SP arm or two for a bat, or again, hold onto everyone and assess midseason, with Canning et al slotting into a #5-6 rotation based on everyone’s health and production. 

Now that we’re out on Wheeler and Hamels, and Ryu/Bumgarner seem fairly unlikely, it’s pretty safe to say the Angels will have to add to the rotation either by volume and value (Cole *plus* a lesser arm like Keuchel etc.) or if they need another impact arm, by trade, with that move likely meaning some offensive additions to replace whoever is dealt.