• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy to the Angels for Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish, and Kyle Brnovich

mmc

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Don't watch the AL East much do you?  2011- Orioles were 69-93 last place.   2012- 93-69 playoffs  2014 AL East Champions by 12 games 96-66...  let's come back and look at this in 2022 and we will see who is correct.  

14 years from 1998 to 2011 where the O's finished 3rd once and never over .500.  You are overestimating the O's ability to contend by 3-4 years at least.  I'm guessing it will be 5-6 before they have a season above .500 again.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

14 years from 1998 to 2011 where the O's finished 3rd once and never over .500.  You are overestimating the O's ability to contend by 3-4 years at least.  I'm guessing it will be 5-6 before they have a season above .500 again.  

exactly. it wasn't as if 2011 was an outlier

2 hours ago, Lou said:

In 2014, NY only won 84 games and Boston 71.  That isn't happening again. There is no way in hell you're winning the division in 2022.

My favorite part of your prediction, however, is that in 2021 you're going to win either 62 or 81 games. 

I intended to say likely last place in 2020, .500 in 2021 and division in 2022.   Sorry for the confusion.  Enjoy your season!  No offense meant. Probably overly optimistic.  Having seen 5 World Series teams in my life is good enough, but we can hope. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Perhaps...but those 14 years really have no relevance to this rebuild.   Most teams outside perhaps of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers are going to have years of being not very competitive followed by a few years of winning.  See Astros, Rays, Twins, Tigers etc...The days of dynasties like my Orioles teams of the late 1960s and through much of the 1970s are pretty much over. 
Peter Angelos is infirm and no longer involved at all in the running of the organization..his sons are quite different in style and decision making thus far.  Hopefully Elias and company will do better than 5-6 years, but you could be right, sure. 

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd like to think that Bundy could surprise everyone and recapture his earlier promise, but unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on that one and his upside for the next two years is as a good #4. The velocity over the last four years says it all:

image.png

The most obvious thing to notice is the big drop from 2016 to 2017. He's been relatively stable since, but I see a slight downward trend, and he now seems to have slightly below average fastball velocity (I believe average is 92-93, and he seems slightly below that on average).

Yep. Guy just isn’t very good. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I intended to say likely last place in 2020, .500 in 2021 and division in 2022.   Sorry for the confusion.  Enjoy your season!  No offense meant. Probably overly optimistic.  Having seen 5 World Series teams in my life is good enough, but we can hope. 

You should stay here, you seem nice. 🤩

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

neither does 2014

I was just responding to the post that noted there were 14 losing years from 1998-2011, and then said it is going to thus take 5-6 years to rebuild.  But I certainly agree with you. Rebuilds are rebuilds.  Past is past.  Particularly with new GM, new de fact ownership from Angelos sons.  And losing teams like Astros, Twins, etc have turned around very quickly if they draft and trade correctly.    

But the winning in 2014 did affect the current rebuild in one very negative way..it convinced old man Angelos that Chris Davis was a superstar and led him to go against his own GM, bid against himself and give out the worst contract in baseball history in 2016 which is still an albatross, though I think they will eventually DFA Davis sometime this year and eat the rest of his deal.    

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

holy crap. the O's will be paying Davis $42M (deferred) from 2023-2037

Go look at Cobb's deal too. $20M deferred over something like 10 years too. They thought their window was going to last longer than it did.

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

holy crap. the O's will be paying Davis $42M (deferred) from 2023-2037

Yes, Scott Boras is a genius and Peter Angelos yet again ignored his own GM.  He paid Albert Belle for years on deferred deal too. Dan Duquette was against the deal by all accounts but Brady Anderson was very influential with the old man about Davis (and other dumb choices).  One of the true signs of the old man not  being actively in charge any longer due to his health was Brady getting kicked out of the organization.   

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Go look at Cobb's deal too. $20M deferred over something like 10 years too. They thought their window was going to last longer than it did.

Cobb may yet be flippable if he can go out and pitch this year.  Davis not.  In fairness, everyone else is gone...Jones, Wieters, Machado, Schoop, etc. etc.  And those are the only two deals remaining of any sort as we are down to about 60 million Opening Day payroll estimate - Davis and Cobb make up 60 percent of that.  But both of those will limely be jettisoned sometime this year.  

Just now, tntoriole said:

Cobb may yet be flippable if he can go out and pitch this year.  Davis not. 

Yes, agreed (I considered Cobb as a possible bad swap for Cozart in the Primer Series I write for this site), but the O's will have to take care of that deferred money still. That is a lot of money that another team will not want to take responsibility for. I think the O's may have to try and restructure that deal and pay him off at the end of his deal or promise to take it all on in trade.... something like that, that deferred money for Davis and Cobb will haunt them in their rebuild effort.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

Yes, agreed (I considered Cobb as a possible bad swap for Cozart in the Primer Series I write for this site), but the O's will have to take care of that deferred money still. That is a lot of money that another team will not want to take responsibility for. I think the O's may have to try and restructure that deal and pay him off at the end of his deal or promise to take it all on in trade.... something like that, that deferred money for Davis and Cobb will haunt them in their rebuild effort.

There is a definite segment of Orioles insiders who believe that the team is being prepared for sale when the old man passes.  We shall see. 

• 7 months later...