• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dylan Bundy to the Angels for Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish, and Kyle Brnovich

mmc

seems like a fair trade and all, but why not just sign a mediocre back of the rotation innings eater like Kyle Gibson for a few mil more instead of giving up prospect capital?  

and now all of a sudden people like WAR to determine this guy's worth?  

I'll reserve my final judgement until everything plays out over the next couple months but my initial thought is that this is the second piece to the rotation with Cole being the primary.  A cheap catcher and we are likely done.  Anything more than that and I will be pleasantly surprised.  

2 hours ago, vladdy#27 said:

Cahill -0.8 WAR in 102.1 IP for 9M
Harvey -0.3 WAR in 59.2 IP for 11M
Total: -1.1 WAR in 162 IP for 20M

Bundy 2.5 WAR in 161.2 IP for 6M~ (Average over the last 3 seasons 2.1 WAR 167 IP)

So 3+ WAR better for 14M cheaper.

Agreed, but by that logic, the Angels were a game better for 20 million cheaper without making any move. So they spent about 6 million and a crop of pretty replaceable prospects on two wins.

Which I'm totally fine with, contextually. Good trade.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

seems like a fair trade and all, but why not just sign a mediocre back of the rotation innings eater like Kyle Gibson for a few mil more instead of giving up prospect capital?  

I'll reserve my final judgement until everything plays out over the next couple months but my initial thought is that this is the second piece to the rotation with Cole being the primary.  A cheap catcher and we are likely done.  Anything more than that and I will be pleasantly surprised.  

Yeah.  This guy is gonna get paid a bit and cost a bit in young players.  Maybe the upside is higher.... and they see something they can harness.

Back in the day, I'd definitely dislike this deal.  They are smarter  than me now, though.  Right?  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If this is the second starting pitcher, then I will be irate and call for Eppler to be fired. 

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If this is the second starting pitcher, then I will be irate and call for Eppler to be fired. 

That would mean our #2 pitcher is recovering from TJ surgery and pitching once a week, and our #3 starter has a career 4.44 ERA. Then Bundy slots in.

That's not good.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

it's not just on Eppler.  I think people are making too much of Arte's comments about increasing payroll.  He will but even payout to Cole at 35m plus 5m for a catcher puts them at about 190m.  I wouldn't expect it to go any higher than that.  

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

hey....Orioles fan here....and a regular on the Orioles Hangout....  The general consensus is that Bundy is what Bundy is...a backend of the rotation and reliable innings eater.  He gives up too many HRs both in Camden and on the road but is fine for what he brings.  Of course, Mike Elias/Sig Mejdal are of the Houston rebuild mode....i.e.  sell any and all parts, etc.   So we fully expect another 100 plus loss season and maybe two, but are generally positive about the rebuild under the new regime (and that the Angelos sons are much more hands off than the old man who is ill and not involved in active franchise issues any longer).   We are hopeful to hit a lottery ticket with any of the four coming back, but most believe this is an OK, fair return (unlike the Villar to the Marlins recently which most feel was a true salary dump).       Don't be expecting any Arrieta like transformation, though....those days are long gone.   Braves fans said the same thing about Gausman...we knew better.  Same with Dylan.  He is what he is.    Dylan is an excellent character guy, very stoic despite having essentially to rebuild his career after surgery and his decline in velocity and many of us were  saddened by his injuries because when he was drafted, he was the top pitching prospect in the nation and his first year in the minors with 98 plus fastball and killer slider was really amazing. 

Anyway....we wish him all the best and that he has a fantastic year with you guys!!   

Welcome, and thanks for that feedback.  
We will of course be a little hyped but i think youve hit the nail pretty well.  We are about the only team that he is actually an upgrade to even if it is the back end which i dont think anyone is suggesting anything else realistically. 

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Its fine, Kyle Bradish will be one of the most sought after free agents in 6 years and Bundy will be the next Joe Blanton. But look on the bright side, the Lakers are 19-3.

I don't think anyone can predict either outcome.  If the A's acquired Bundy instead of the Angels, there would probably be a large number of people on this forum criticizing Eppler and predicting a Cy Young year for Bundy, paying little attention to what prospects were sent to the Orioles.

7 hours ago, Glen said:

That would mean our #2 pitcher is recovering from TJ surgery and pitching once a week, and our #3 starter has a career 4.44 ERA. Then Bundy slots in.

That's not good.

I agree. Bundy's acquisition is an interesting start, and certainly worthwhile to stabilize the back end of the rotation. But the Angels pitching issues weren't just in a lack of innings. It was the quality of innings too. The upside. Bundy addresses one part, not the other. They'll need a couple pitchers to address the other. 

If their goal is to win 85 games, then Bundy and Cole will suffice. 

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it's not just on Eppler.  I think people are making too much of Arte's comments about increasing payroll.  He will but even payout to Cole at 35m plus 5m for a catcher puts them at about 190m.  I wouldn't expect it to go any higher than that.  

It definitely would, but the reason my expectations are high is rooted in the concept that ultimately, winning a World Series is the goal. Eppler's job was to build a winner and rebuild the farm while maintaining a reasonable payroll for a mid to large market team. He's done the latter, but it's been 5 years and Eppler has failed to build a winning team which is his primary function in the front office.

Every GM has their failures, but the longer Eppler is in the GM seat, the more those failures have compounded. Maybin, Nava, Gentry, Giavotella, Harvey, Cahill, Doug White and Brad Ausmus..... Even the Upton deal is looking like it has become prohibitive.

He has to win at some point. And that point has come. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This could very well be no different than if we essentially traded three Jake Jewells and a future Mike Morin to Cam Bedrosian to them. 

Yeah, it's a collection of arms...a bunch of potential traded for a talented question mark...it's balanced.

Of the guys traded, only Mattson was drafted earlier than 2018 (two were in 2018 and one in 2019).  From this we start to get an indication of what Eppler is using some of these post 3rd-round picks for...trading for potential middling assets like Bundy.  

7 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, it's a collection of arms...a bunch of potential traded for a talented question mark...it's balanced.

Of the guys traded, only Mattson was drafted earlier than 2018 (two were in 2018 and one in 2019).  From this we start to get an indication of what Eppler is using some of these post 3rd-round picks for...trading for potential middling assets like Bundy.  

I really don't see much potential though. Mattson has good numbers but lacks projection. Bradish projects into the back of a rotation, that's about it though. The other two are about as typical as college starters get it seems. They'll more than likely remain starters until they reach AA, then either become middle relievers or depth fodder.

If I was Mike Elias....I don't think I would've accepted the offer. Arms are nice to have but you need quality.