Sign in to follow this  
mymerlincat

Zack Wheeler signs with the Phillies (5 years, $118 million)

Btw, I don't know why, but I started thinking about Jordan Zimmermann's contract this morning.  It was roughly similar to Wheeler's: 5 for $110M, back in the 2015 off-season.  I had honestly just sort of forgotten Zimmermann existed, but holy cow, that contract has turned out to be a disaster.  So far, he's 25-41 with a 5.61 ERA.  Somehow, that has amounted to 0.8 bWAR (I thought it'd be even worse).  He was roughly the same age as Wheeler when he was a free agent and had significantly better career stats up until that point.

There's really no point to this post other than to once again reinforce that big-dollar free agent pitching contracts (even more so than positional player contracts) are a total crapshoot.

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Btw, I don't know why, but I started thinking about Jordan Zimmermann's contract this morning.  It was roughly similar to Wheeler's: 5 for $110M, back in the 2015 off-season.  I had honestly just sort of forgotten Zimmermann existed, but holy cow, that contract has turned out to be a disaster.  So far, he's 25-41 with a 5.61 ERA.  Somehow, that has amounted to 0.8 bWAR (I thought it'd be even worse).  He was roughly the same age as Wheeler when he was a free agent and had significantly better career stats up until that point.

There's really no point to this post other than to once again reinforce that big-dollar free agent pitching contracts (even more so than positional player contracts) are a total crapshoot.

5/$118m for a pitcher like Wheeler, who’s basically been just average in his career, is nuts. It’s a perfectly reasonable gamble for a team like Philly to make, the Angels just aren’t really in a position to roll the dice on an arm that expensive and that risky when they have so many other needs.