• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zack Wheeler signs with the Phillies (5 years, $118 million)

mmc

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

a player's wife that wants to live on the west coast?

We can cook up reasons to rationalize why they lost on guys.  Sure, it was his wife.  Fine.  At the end of the day they still didn’t get the player.  It’s the FO job to get guys to decide to come here.  That’s a tiny detail that is important.  

anyway, maybe they couldn’t have got him no matter what.  Or maybe they just didn’t get it done and it was possible.  You don’t know and I don’t know and we probably won’t know one way or the other.  All I’m saying is that they missed a guy and we need to hope they make something else work.  Sorry man, I’m not doing the <shrugs we didn’t have a chance> thing anymore.  I’m disappointed.  

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Of course. I’m just theorizing about what a Vernon Wells style trade would look like were Eppler to become as desperate as Reagins was after striking out on every FA.

but why? nobody wants to think about that.

that's like wondering what you'd look like with cancer. 

44 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Let’s just say at this point it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I don’t think Arte raised the luxury tax as much as we think honestly.

Theres no reason we couldn’t pay Wheeler that contract.

Arte cannot raise the CBT threshold (Luxury tax) it is set at $208M. He can exceed it by authorizing payroll expenditures which is what I presume you intended to say.

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

We can cook up reasons to rationalize why they lost on guys.  Sure, it was his wife.  Fine.  At the end of the day they still didn’t get the player.  It’s the FO job to get guys to decide to come here.  That’s a tiny detail that is important.  

anyway, maybe they couldn’t have got him no matter what.  Or maybe they just didn’t get it done and it was possible.  You don’t know and I don’t know and we probably won’t know one way or the other.  All I’m saying is that they missed a guy and we need to hope they make something else work.  Sorry man, I’m not doing the <shrugs we didn’t have a chance> thing anymore.  I’m disappointed.  

feel free to be disappointed, but if we really didn't have a chance (which appears to be the case) then it's nothing but wasted energy. 

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They were never signing 2 hundred million contracts. 

Apparently not, but I do think some of us were hoping the team was committed to winning. There were a few potential good buys at the top of the market, aside from Cole this means we’re are looking at good buys at the bottom of the market or bad buys in the middle.

5 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

1 - Cole/MadBum/Stras

2 - Ohtani

3 - Ryu or Teheran

4 - Heaney

5 - Canning

Solid rotation.

No to Madbum unless he is the second pitcher they sign after Cole or Stras.  He is not an ace anymore. 

Due to age, I'd stay away from Ryu as well, though it wouldn't be a bad signing.

Cole/Stras and Teheran are what is needed and due to age, Cole has to be prefered over Stras.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Ryu or Teheran?

That's a big difference!

One was leader for NL CY Young for a chunk of the year and the other was left off the playoff roster. 

If the Angels sign Cole, I'd take Teheran over Ryu in a heartbeat.  He will cost far less and is younger.  It is a much smarter decision.

I'm wondering if the fact this team had a starter die from an OD, and the origination being under investigation, is going to turn possible FA's away from coming here. Will that make players think twice, even if the money is comparable?   

That, and the long playoff drought, have to enter the minds of top players considering signing with this organization.

1 minute ago, Homebrewer said:

I'm wondering if the fact this team had a starter die from an OD, and the origination being under investigation, is going to turn possible FA's away from coming here. Will that make players think twice, even if the money is comparable?   

That, and the long playoff drought, have to enter the minds of top players considering signing with this organization.

no 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Dylan from the Orioles as a back of rotation option

Kluber ($17.5 mil this season, $18 mil option for next season with $1 million buy out) may be on the table as the Indians retool and need cost affordable help on offense.

Take a shot at Boyd and see if the price reasonable (but I wouldn't give up Marsh in something like that)

Caleb Smith with the Marlins

Robby Ray with DBacks

Maybe buy low on someone like Kyle Freeland

Samardzija for one season

There are options to fill out the rotation if they can get Cole signed.

Or they could trade a young AAA relief pitcher for 2 years of Dylan Bundy

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

but kevinb says "we" have the resources!

FF we do have the resources. Arte just spent 300 plus million on the stadium and land. We have plenty of space before hitting the cap. Now whether Arte wants to spend that kind of money is on him. But Cole is going to get 250 or so million dollars. That could kind of cash could have easily bought Wheeler and another 100 million dollar pitcher. But I guess time will tell what the Angels do. 

6 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

We might have never had a chance.

Hope this doesn’t happen to the Angels chances of signing Cole. I’m very confident the Angels will come to the table with the best offer ... which doesn’t guarantee he’ll take it. 

He knows that the Yankees and Dodgers will offer the best chance for another WS appearance. On the bright side he’s a local kid and if he signs with the Angels the team will have the best player and pitcher in baseball ⚾️ 

I imagine Arte could turn this into a advertising bonanza and actually get $3M legit fans into the seats.