• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zack Wheeler signs with the Phillies (5 years, $118 million)

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

As good as Ryu was in 2019, he doesn't have a history of durability.   2019 was the first season in the past 5 where he exceeded 130 innings.

Thoughts on the Japanese pitcher, Yamaguchi?

This is true, but the flip side is that he has considerably less mileage on his arm than his peers, due to effectively missing 2 years of time.  It'll be a gamble, as any FA SP is, but his contract will likely reflect that risk, too - it's why the rumors for him are 3/50-60ish, as opposed to what Wheeler got.

I don't know enough about Yamaguchi to comment.

2 minutes ago, Halodays said:

Anybody else getting that feeling that the Angels are going to get shutout in their attempts to sign their "ace"?

Let’s just say at this point it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I don’t think Arte raised the luxury tax as much as we think honestly.

Theres no reason we couldn’t pay Wheeler that contract.

2 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Plus wasn't Ryu arguably better than Cole and Strasburg last year? I know he's old and had injuries, but seems like more upside than Wheeler.

Ryu was.  He somewhat tired out towards the end of the year, likely because he pitched quite a bit more this year.  Again, I'd be comfortable with adding him.  He's a solid #2 SP.  Cole/Ryu/Ohtani would make a great top 3.

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

If they get Cole 1000 other workable scenarios become viable.  It all hinges on him. 

If they can get Cole, Bumgarner and trade for a 3-4 starter without giving up Marsh then I’ll say we had a successful offseason.

Not getting Wheeler still hurts though. I think Mickey would have worked wonders with him.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

All we have to do is pay Cole a shit ton of money and all the fu*cked vibes will go away. 

This was actually my largest concern this offseason. We would be so preoccupied with signing Cole that we'd end up missing out on everyone else and blowing the budget on Garret. If Cole really wants to play here we should be able to make a competitive offer to him and still hand out a $100m+ to another starter.

I wanted to get him as much as anybody, but its become increasingly obvious that he and Cole were not going to happen based on the rumored pricing. 
Its time to re-think it as the two top SP thing is basically dead.
At this point the most we can logically hope for is Cole plus someone else on the FA list that has some risk attached and upside a la Kuechel, Teheran etc...
Im sure it will surprise no one but at this point im looking back at bats at this point with the assumption that cole plus a possible #3 is the best we are going to do.
I keep looking back at the whole trade with the cubs thing, its starting to make way to much sense. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Wheeler's ERA will be above 4

It was already just under 4.00 in 2019, while pitching in the NL and half of his games in pitching friendly Citi Field.

The odds aren't bad on a 4.00+ ERA in 2020, given how hitting friendly Citizens Bank Park is. 

5 years/$118 million is a lot to pay for that.

Edited by Angel Oracle

21 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Okay getting really worried now.

I repeat... we cannot have Cole be our only big signing this offseason....

i know most don't want to hear it, but the angels signing multiple top FA's just isn't going to happen.  it would be awesome, and it may even be necessary, but they're not going to do that. the plan is probably something like cole then roark, tehren, or miley. something like that. best case scenario may be a cole/ryu, but i'd think at the dollars that make that possible, it becomes more probable that ryu prefers to resign with the dodgers.

i'm all for it being something more aggressive, but i think the cole/rendon, cole/wheeler, cole/madbum plans were never on the table. i'm not tripping like many will on this thread, but the eggs are definitely seeming to go all in the cole basket, which is dangerous.

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Dylan from the Orioles as a back of rotation option

Kluber ($17.5 mil this season, $18 mil option for next season with $1 million buy out) may be on the table as the Indians retool and need cost affordable help on offense.

Take a shot at Boyd and see if the price reasonable (but I wouldn't give up Marsh in something like that)

Caleb Smith with the Marlins

Robby Ray with DBacks

Maybe buy low on someone like Kyle Freeland

Samardzija for one season

There are options to fill out the rotation if they can get Cole signed.

None of those are great options. Arte really needs to open his pocketbook. 

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This was actually my largest concern this offseason. We would be so preoccupied with signing Cole that we'd end up missing out on everyone else and blowing the budget on Garret. If Cole really wants to play here we should be able to make a competitive offer to him and still hand out a $100m+ to another starter.

I agree.  I’m disappointed about missing out on Wheeler and I didn’t give a shit about paying him what he got.  I would have been happy with it.  I’m just saying.  Let me at least have until Cole fucks us to blow my brains out.