• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Donaldson / Rendon

Hubs

CJ Cron is a prime example of why we can’t really expect too much from Thaiss, Rengifo, etc. yet. 

For three years, he was basically the same player as his first season - and that was better than what any of the youth did this year - and he never really showed much development year to year here. 

Ideally, yes, a couple of these guys take a step forward and became average big leaguers, maybe better, and maybe as soon as next year, but I don’t think any of them should rule out an IF acquisition if the price is right. Let them serve as AAA depth/bench/insurance for 2020 if there are better options ahead. 

JMO.  But the team only had 2 players with an OPS over .800 last season.  The Kid and Ohtani.  And only 4 with a OPS+ over 100.  With Calhoun no longer on the team, and Goodwin not really a long term option.  In his limited play, La Stella is more of a backup than a starter.  

With Donaldson, you get a proven player.  Last season a bounceback .900 OPS and a career .878 OPS.  Outside of his first half season, an OPS+ north of 100 every season.  Really would be a good 1-2-3 punch between Trout, Donaldson, Ohtani.  And if Upton bounces back, then a good 4 players.  You'd have depth on the bench with La Stella and Goodwin among others.  

So if it's for no more than 3 years, it would only cost the Angels a 2nd and $500k of international money.  But IMO, if we are truly looking to win, we need that short term thumper.  Anyone else with his kind of stats would get a lot more years, and probably more money.  But on top of him, if we don't get at least 2 front line starting pitchers and some pen help, it would probably not be worth it and another year of Trout will be wasted.  

48 minutes ago, Lou said:

"The Kid" is a dumb nickname

When Trout came up it seemed like there was a ridiculous frenzy to settle on a nickname, with all kinds of stupid fish references.

The best nicknames just happen organically.  And also there is absolutely nothing wrong with a player never having a nickname.

I am just fine calling Mike Trout “Mike Trout.”

11 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

When Trout came up it seemed like there was a ridiculous frenzy to settle on a nickname, with all kinds of stupid fish references.

The best nicknames just happen organically.  And also there is absolutely nothing wrong with a player never having a nickname.

I am just fine calling Mike Trout “Mike Trout.”

I think “The Millville Meteor” rolls right off the tongue. Don’t ya think????

His nickname should just be “God”. 

I think we're priced out of Rendon and Donaldson if we get Cole.  

I still think Billy is gonna roll with what he's got although I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back Calhoun or some other solid 4th OFer in lieu of going with Hermosillo at that spot.  Maybe someone like an Alex Gordon who gets on base decently and can spell Goodwin and Upton if either struggles and Adell/Marsh aren't ready.