• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sounds like a job for English Cop...

red321

@EnglishCop opportunity for you to pick up the mantle...your whole life has prepared you for this opportunity...

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/02/apostrophe-protection-society-john-richards-england/

A former copy editor fought to defend the apostrophe. Now he admits ‘ignorance and laziness’ have won.

For nearly two decades, John Richards dedicated his life to protecting an endangered species: the correctly placed apostrophe.

As the founder of the Apostrophe Protection Society, he waged war against signs advertising “ladies fashions” or claiming that “Diamond’s are forever.” But last month, the 96-year-old admitted defeat.

“The ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!” Richards wrote on the Apostrophe Protection Society’s website. Given the lack of interest in correct apostrophe usage and his own advancing age, Richards recently announced that he is shutting down the group.

As a copy editor (and an English speaker), it genuinely drives me nuts when grown-ass adults and businesspeople write like they're in 2nd grade.

"I am going to the Angel's game." (Which Angel's game is it?)

"We are having dinner with Johnson's." (You're having dinner with the Johnson's what?)

"Come enjoy biscuit's and gravy!" (I didn't know that biscuit had his very own "and gravy.")

29 minutes ago, red321 said:

@EnglishCop opportunity for you to pick up the mantle...your whole life has prepared you for this opportunity...

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/02/apostrophe-protection-society-john-richards-england/

A former copy editor fought to defend the apostrophe. Now he admits ‘ignorance and laziness’ have won.

For nearly two decades, John Richards dedicated his life to protecting an endangered species: the correctly placed apostrophe.

As the founder of the Apostrophe Protection Society, he waged war against signs advertising “ladies fashions” or claiming that “Diamond’s are forever.” But last month, the 96-year-old admitted defeat.

“The ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!” Richards wrote on the Apostrophe Protection Society’s website. Given the lack of interest in correct apostrophe usage and his own advancing age, Richards recently announced that he is shutting down the group.

I have so much respect for that man

10 minutes ago, Taylor said:

As a copy editor (and an English speaker), it genuinely drives me nuts when grown-ass adults and businesspeople write like they're in 2nd grade.

"We are having dinner with Johnson's." (You're having dinner with the Johnson's what?)

"Come enjoy biscuit's and gravy!" (I didn't know that biscuit had his very own "and gravy.")

Your a homo.

Which of the following is grammatically correct, and why?  

- Tom is faster than me. 

- Tom is faster than I. 

The answer is the 2nd one because the word "than" is a marker for a new independent clause, and "I" is the subject of the new independent clause.

But it's rare to see anybody write "Tom is faster than I" because it looks and sounds stupid.  I never correct myself when writing or saying it even though I know the rules of subject and object pronouns.  

It's even worse when you use plural pronouns.  

- Tom is faster than them.

- Tom is faster than they. 

Yep, the 2nd one is correct grammatically, but nobody says or writes it because it looks and sounds so stupid because it's so normal to hear and see it written or spoken incorrectly.  

And yeah, breaking kids of their incorrect apostrophe usage is pretty hard.  You use an apostrophe to show possession, omission, or a contraction.  The only exception to the rule is its/it's.  But publications to this day differ over how they use an apostrophe in a sentence like this:

The progressive tax has been around in the United States since the 1860's/1860s. 

I've seen major publication use 1860's, and others use 1860s.  1860 possesses nothing in the above sentence, and it's not a contraction.  So why use the apostrophe there? 

Same thing with shortening something like 1960s to  '60s.  The apostrophe rule works with that because the apostrophe is replacing omitted numbers, but I've seen major publications type that as 60's.  

I love grammar and usage discussions about English because it's such a weird language.  

17 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

Which of the following is grammatically correct, and why?  

- Tom is faster than me. 

- Tom is faster than I. 

The answer is the 2nd one because the word "than" is a marker for a new independent clause, and "I" is the subject of the new independent clause.

But it's rare to see anybody write "Tom is faster than I" because it looks and sounds stupid.  I never correct myself when writing or saying it even though I know the rules of subject and object pronouns.  

It's even worse when you use plural pronouns.  

- Tom is faster than them.

- Tom is faster than they. 

Yep, the 2nd one is correct grammatically, but nobody says or writes it because it looks and sounds so stupid because it's so normal to hear and see it written or spoken incorrectly.  

And yeah, breaking kids of their incorrect apostrophe usage is pretty hard.  You use an apostrophe to show possession, omission, or a contraction.  The only exception to the rule is its/it's.  But publications to this day differ over how they use an apostrophe in a sentence like this:

The progressive tax has been around in the United States since the 1860's/1860s. 

I've seen major publication use 1860's, and others use 1860s.  1860 possesses nothing in the above sentence, and it's not a contraction.  So why use the apostrophe there? 

Same thing with shortening something like 1960s to  '60s.  The apostrophe rule works with that because the apostrophe is replacing omitted numbers, but I've seen major publications type that as 60's.  

I love grammar and usage discussions about English because it's such a weird language.  

Speaking of which, people who don’t understand the difference between then and than. 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, Taylor said:

What's the proper way to write that, because that's how I've always done it.

Would it be "I'm going to the Angels' game?"