Sign in to follow this  
Chuckster70

‘Losing a war that you weren’t informed of’: Some MLB pitchers are livid over electronic sign stealing

8 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

My point is that players cheat and sadly it’s a way of MLB life. 

There is a big difference between improving your grip on the baseball and tipping your hitters off to exactly what pitch the opposing pitcher is about to deliver.

The difference is between an individual standing in front of a huge crowd and several cameras and taking all the risk of his actions vs an entire organizational effort to tilt the entire batter/pitcher dynamic into their favor. Only an obtuse asshole would try to make a parallel

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

listen, i'm the fair minded guy that gives you the benefit of the doubt. hell, i even agree with you from time to time. but if you're going to ignore the point i made by only responding to half my statement, then what's the point?

as i said, originally, hitters will allow the advantage of pine tar used by pitchers because they know it's not about competitive advantage, it's about grip. the hitters would prefer not to have out of control 96 mph heaters coming at their head. the point is, although it is ultimately against the rule book, it's not being done for cheating's sake.

My point is that cheating is cheating. If a pitcher uses an illegal substance to gain an advantage (increased spin rate) over a hitter, it’s cheating. We all railed on Michael Pineda right here for having used pine tar. If the Astros condoned it’s usage, will the Angels allow it also?

https://community.fangraphs.com/gerrit-cole-and-the-pine-tar-controversy/

Edited by Calzone 2

Overall, we should not jump to conclusions on the Gerrit Cole spin question. Just to be perfectly clear, I personally have no idea how mechanical changes actually affect spin rate. I haven’t done the experiments myself and certainly have not spent as much time as Trevor Bauer trying different grips and substances in a controlled setting. However, this article suggests that there is an association, whether it be correlative or causative, in Gerrit Cole’s release point that has come with an increase in spin on both two-seam and four-seam fastballs. If further research can confirm this association, the results could be of incredible use to teams looking for value either in their player development system or trade market.

that's not cheating.

The author also discussed a change in pitch mix, fewer sinkers and more four seamers.

It could be better mechanics, pitch selection AND use of illegal substances. Who knows? I do know it's a fairly common practice with pitchers.

I thought pitchers used pine tar so they could make the ball move more deceptively, not to improve their spin rates. Maybe I just never connected the two (better grip and therefore better control).

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

I thought pitchers used pine tar so they could make the ball move more deceptively, not to improve their spin rates. Maybe I just never connected the two (better grip and therefore better control).

I’ve read that pine tar can increase RPM’s on a baseball. I think a lot of pitchers use it. 

1 hour ago, RBM said:

The author also discussed a change in pitch mix, fewer sinkers and more four seamers.

It could be better mechanics, pitch selection AND use of illegal substances. Who knows? I do know it's a fairly common practice with pitchers.

just what I was looking for.  do you have evidence of this?