• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: MLB’s era of ‘load management’ is just getting started

AngelsWin.com

It would be interesting to see how many of the arms of yester-year would do today. Nolan Ryan would be the exception. But for the most part, I think it's a guarantee that pitchers from 20+ years ago would get a lot more strikeouts, but they'd also give up a lot more HR's. Unless you're talking about Greg Maddux, most the guys throwing 88-90 which was the norm, would be obliterated by today's hitters. 

I'm highly skeptical of Bob Feller throwing Max effort every pitch for 300 innings a year. Also, the 1950's aren't the 2010's. 

But for the most part, I think the most successful pitchers from decades ago would still be successful today, just not to the degree that they were. 

Conversely, you put the best MLB hitters from today against competition in the 1950's and they would likely be wildly successful. Like change the game type of successful.

It's just the natural progression of things.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

It would be interesting to see how many of the arms of yester-year would do today. Nolan Ryan would be the exception. But for the most part, I think it's a guarantee that pitchers from 20+ years ago would get a lot more strikeouts, but they'd also give up a lot more HR's. Unless you're talking about Greg Maddux, most the guys throwing 88-90 which was the norm, would be obliterated by today's hitters. 

I'm highly skeptical of Bob Feller throwing Max effort every pitch for 300 innings a year. Also, the 1950's aren't the 2010's. 

But for the most part, I think the most successful pitchers from decades ago would still be successful today, just not to the degree that they were. 

Conversely, you put the best MLB hitters from today against competition in the 1950's and they would likely be wildly successful. Like change the game type of successful.

It's just the natural progression of things.

Well, even Clemens, Randy Johnson etc have been in the last 10 years power pitchers.

The older guys would be what they were in the end TJ surgery claimed Ryan in his last start.

The strike zone would also be different. Now if you are talking Ryan, Gibson, Drysdale etc they would probably be less intimidating as intimidation and the inside part of the plate was theirs. Today the inside most of the time has been adjusted to the hitters.

Todays hitters would crap themselves playing in those days! Arod, AP#5 etc.... They liked to lean over the inner half. They would had been in the dirt.