• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How do we stack up if we got Cole and Wheeler

Docwaukee

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Eppler would have to put in some serious work in order to land these two something that he seems to be allergic to

Why?  You are the only person on here who questions his work ethic.  You don’t think it took some serious work to land Ohtani?  Or to place a strategy on a draft?  To build the relationships necessary to win the trust of Trout?  I am sure you will see this as just me defending him, but it makes zero logical sense to question someone’s work ethic when the job requires crazy long hours and there is zero reason to believe he doesn’t invest those type of hours.  I would love to hear why you actually think he doesn’t work hard.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why?  You are the only person on here who questions his work ethic.  You don’t think it took some serious work to land Ohtani?  Or to place a strategy on a draft?  To build the relationships necessary to win the trust of Trout?  I am sure you will see this as just me defending him, but it makes zero logical sense to question someone’s work ethic when the job requires crazy long hours and there is zero reason to believe he doesn’t invest those type of hours.  I would love to hear why you actually think he doesn’t work hard.  

Lol I wasn’t being THAT serious. 

I think this is probably his first offseason where he’s been given the green light to spend big (so we think). Although he did piss away a lot of money last offseason even though they were only one year deals. We have no idea just how serious of a play he made for Corbin or Evoldi last offseason. Hopefully Billy boy comes through I just think the market for Wheeler will get too crazy and spill a little out of Eppler’s comfort zone. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Lol I wasn’t being THAT serious. 

I think this is probably his first offseason where he’s been given the green light to spend big (so we think). Although he did piss away a lot of money last offseason even though they were only one year deals. We have no idea just how serious of a play he made for Corbin or Evoldi last offseason. Hopefully Billy boy comes through I just think the market for Wheeler will get too crazy and spill a little out of Eppler’s comfort zone. 

As @Inside Pitch has said a few times, this really is Arte’s off season.  They are going after the big fish and if Eppler can convince them that this is the place to play, Arte still has to write the biggest checks he has ever written for pitching, twice.  I am not saying this to take Eppler away from blame, I just see it as a partnership when you are talking about $100-250 million contracts.  I could be wrong, but I think that Arte wasn’t really allowing him to go BIG without Trout.  But it also could have easily been Eppler who told Arte, “we really shouldn’t lock down long term contracts if we don’t know whether or not Trout will be here long term”.  It is very easy to understand that without Trout the team decisions drastically change.  

They've done this kind of proposed offseason spending before. Arte committed $254+$77.5+$85+34+35+3... Between 2011 and 2012, (including Weaver's extension in August)...

Now, that was on a $140 M payroll, which has since been pushed about $20-$40. The Angels highest opening day payroll has been at $166.6 in 2018, but year end luxury tax payroll that year was at $176.7 down from $188.5.

2019 was at $158.9 Opening Day, and will end somewhere close to the previous years $176.7- 40 man payroll... I'd assume.

For 2020, I can see an Opening Day payroll of $200. He'll try not to go over the tax.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They've done this kind of proposed offseason spending before. Arte committed $254+$77.5+$85+34+35+3... Between 2011 and 2012, (including Weaver's extension in August)...

Now, that was on a $140 M payroll, which has since been pushed about $20-$40. The Angels highest opening day payroll has been at $166.6 in 2018, but year end luxury tax payroll that year was at $176.7 down from $188.5.

2019 was at $158.9 Opening Day, and will end somewhere close to the previous years $176.7- 40 man payroll... I'd assume.

For 2020, I can see an Opening Day payroll of $200. He'll try not to go over the tax.

He doesnt need to go over the tax, but he will need to push it a little.
Right now we are 68M under the threshold with about 140M committed.   Next year that drops to under 100M.  The year after Pujols drops, then Upton a year later.  Ive said for some time now that if we did get close or even over for a year or two at most over the next few years to bring it back down that busting it for a couple 2-3 years at most to open a window at some real competitive baseball is worth it.
Do i think they will do that, no, but as a fan id like to see it.  Go ham, bite the bullet for a year or two, and play some post season baseball. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

As @Inside Pitch has said a few times, this really is Arte’s off season.  They are going after the big fish and if Eppler can convince them that this is the place to play, Arte still has to write the biggest checks he has ever written for pitching, twice.  I am not saying this to take Eppler away from blame, I just see it as a partnership when you are talking about $100-250 million contracts.  I could be wrong, but I think that Arte wasn’t really allowing him to go BIG without Trout.  But it also could have easily been Eppler who told Arte, “we really shouldn’t lock down long term contracts if we don’t know whether or not Trout will be here long term”.  It is very easy to understand that without Trout the team decisions drastically change.  

So Arte should get the credit for this off season not Eppler? Might make sense why Eppler doesn’t have a contract extension. If Arte doesn’t trust Eppler enough to do his job then it’s probably time to look for someone new. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

He doesnt need to go over the tax, but he will need to push it a little.
Right now we are 68M under the threshold with about 140M committed.   Next year that drops to under 100M.  The year after Pujols drops, then Upton a year later.  Ive said for some time now that if we did get close or even over for a year or two at most over the next few years to bring it back down that busting it for a couple 2-3 years at most to open a window at some real competitive baseball is worth it.
Do i think they will do that, no, but as a fan id like to see it.  Go ham, bite the bullet for a year or two, and play some post season baseball. 

One or two years slightly over the $208 / $210 threshold isn't gonna kill the team.

14 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So Arte should get the credit for this off season not Eppler? Might make sense why Eppler doesn’t have a contract extension. If Arte doesn’t trust Eppler enough to do his job then it’s probably time to look for someone new. 

Thoughts and prayers Bro... 

Hopefully you didn't break any major bones after taking such a gigantic logical leap.

pour one out malt liquor GIF

50 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

q3iCWqE.gif?noredirect

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Wow, I would like to believe that with Trout or without Trout the Angels are trying to win another championship. Of course having Trout locked up makes the job a lot easier. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

push GIFb