• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Angelswin.com's Top 30 Angels Prospects for 2020

AngelsWin.com

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think the only way Taylor Ward can be of any value is to move him back to catcher. As a part time backup and player that can cover 1st, 3rd and left field he becomes a solid 26th man even if his bat is tepid. Otherwise the Angels need to package him for trade because I don't see him pushing anyone off the roster for the limited skills he currently has.

We should trade him that way I’m 2/3 of the way there in the prediction thread. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that his bat exploded upon being moved away from catcher. And he has the speed and the arm to be a solid outfielder. The power is real too, and the plate discipline isn't terrible. 

He reminds me a lot of former catcher Wil Myers as far as his abilities go. That's ultimately his upside. Myers sucked last c year but will have stretches where he's a great middle of the order hitter.

How long do you wait on Ward though?   He's has 4.5 seasons in the minors/majors, that followed 4 college seasons.   Turns 27 in 2020.

30 minutes ago, RBM said:

What are your thoughts on Luis Madero? He is ranked #12 by MLB but only made two of your 8 ballots and if he didn't get the #10 from one ballot he wouldn't even be in the top 30.

Also, it begs the question who are the prospects you guys think should have made the top 30 but didn't?

So I was the one that ranked him #10, in part because of his supposed mental makeup and a relatively stable K:BB ratio, combined with a quality 3-pitch mix. He is nothing super fancy but the fact that the Angels added him to the 40-man also points to their belief in his ability to pitch in the Majors. Glaser had a nice write up of him from Opening Day last year: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/luis-madero-impresses-on-minor-league-opening-day/

I think he can be a back-end starter but the Angels, after this off-season of acquisitions, may not have room long-term so he could move to the bullpen or is more likely trade bait possibly.

34 minutes ago, RBM said:

What are your thoughts on Luis Madero? He is ranked #12 by MLB but only made two of your 8 ballots and if he didn't get the #10 from one ballot he wouldn't even be in the top 30.

Also, it begs the question who are the prospects you guys think should have made the top 30 but didn't?

I didn't rank Madero because of the .303 BAA and a 1.54 WHIP.

I did rank the guys 4-15 a little different than my peers though. 

4.     Patrick Sandoval

5.     Jeremiah Jackson 

6.     Jose Soriano

7.     Will Wilson

8.     Jahmai Jones 

9.     Chris Rodriguez 

10.    Kyren Paris

11.   Aaron Hernandez 

12.   Jared Walsh  

13.   D’Shawn Knowles       

14.   Jose Rojas

15.   Mike Hermosillo    

@ettin, I apologize because I did post a few of your rankings above - but it was in jest. Sorry if I fed any feelings of being attacked. As you said, I like the "wisdom of the crowd" approach. That said, I think it is also perfectly reasonable for us to not only disagree, but hash out our disagreements. I disagree with a handful of your rankings, but that's OK!

1 hour ago, RBM said:

I like Madero and would have been happy ranking him in the #25-30ish range. He's another player that could shoot up--or at least into the top 20--with a good first few months.

The rankings really are in tiers, in my opinion. Players from about #20-35ish are somewhat interchangeable in order. 

One player that no one ranked who could fit your last question is John Swanda. He missed most of 2019 due to TJS, and probably will miss much if not most or even all of 2020. But he could eventually get to the #15-20 in the Kyle Bradish zone. And then, of course, you have all of the Dominican players, most of whom will never make this list, but one or two who might be really good. 

One more: Jack Kruger. He was a darling a year ago, mostly because he was the only halfway decent catching prospect. I still think he could be a solid back-up or platoon catcher.

there is no specific criteria for how we rank the players.  Use number for one guy and gut instinct for the next.  Who cares?  If you delved down into everyone's thought process for each individual player you'd find a ton of inconsistency.  Or maybe you wouldn't.  That's the beauty of doing it the way we do.  They're called opinions.  No one is right or wrong for doing it how they do it.  At the same time, I don't have a problem with a little spirited debate as to why any of us did what we did.  The nature of trying to guess the future of a 16 to 22 yo is fraught with error and bias.  The guys that do this for a living are wrong more than they're right.  

It's supposed to be fun.  I ranked Arol Vera 14th and Alexander Ramirez 15th.  Those guys are 17 years old.  I don't have a reason to justify that beyond a couple things I've heard and maybe a video or two but mostly it's that the Angels spent more money to get them then they did other guys.  If Soriano ends up 4th or 5th instead of 7th on the list, who gives a rats ass.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

@ettin, I apologize because I did post a few of your rankings above - but it was in jest. Sorry if I fed any feelings of being attacked. As you said, I like the "wisdom of the crowd" approach. That said, I think it is also perfectly reasonable for us to not only disagree, but hash out our disagreements. I disagree with a handful of your rankings, but that's OK!

It's okay AJ, I understand and was perfectly willing to defend my position on the outliers (Soriano, Aquino, and Wilson to be precise) that I placed in my rankings. You do not need to apologize to me. I took a very statistical and peripherals based approach to my rankings so I will freely admit that some of them are not within the normal framework and in some cases like Wilson, are probably going to be proven wrong long-term.

In fact let me just post my personal rankings list and my thoughts:

1. Jo Adell - No brainer

2. Brandon Marsh - Also a no brainer

3. Patrick Sandoval - Despite a quick climb and an increasing walk rate at each new challenge, I think Sandoval will be a quality mid-rotation starter who will possibly replace Heaney one day.

4. Jordyn Adams - Love this kid's potential so also a no brainer.

5. Chris Rodriguez - High ceiling, good velocity, great potential if he can overcome this recurring back issue.

6. Kyren Paris - Very limited first season but it was a great start and he has a real chance to be our SS of the future.

7. Jahmai Jones - Still has untapped potential in my opinion but he did not trend in the right direction this year. His arm limits him to 2B, probably, and his hit tool needs to develop more. Can be a low-level backup or a full-time regular based on how his development path progresses or a lack thereof. Good makeup too, so he is still in my Top 10.

8. Stiward Aquino - Aquino has a high ceiling just like Rodriguez. My ranking is really aggressive I will admit and realistically I probably should have moved him back about 5 spots but this is where he ended up. Good K/9 rate and velocity was good prior to the TJS, so he is a wild card.

9. Jeremiah Jackson - Loved his first season in terms of power but the K% is really troublesome and could derail him long-term. Could compete with Paris for the long-term SS role but I think if Jackson keeps up this power-based approach to his game he could slip over to the hot corner, possibly.

10. Luis Madero - Nothing flashy but he is a gamer and the fact that the Angels added him to the 40-man recently also indicates the front office feels the same. After this off-season he may not have a spot in the rotation long-term so he could wind up in the bullpen or as trade bait.

11. Hector Yan - Currently mixing in as a starter and reliever, Yan has the potential to improve as the former. For now a lefty with average velocity and good K/9 rates (but a not-so-great walk rate) is enough to place him here. If that walk rate does not improve or they move him full-time to the bullpen he will drop in my personal rankings next year. He is new enough that he gets the benefit of the doubt here from me. May be a touch to aggressive on my part.

12. Kyle Bradish - Liked his first season (Good K/9 and not-so-great BB/9) and want to see more. However, he has a short leash from my point-of-view due to his age (23) and League (A+). He needs to soar in 2020 or he will fall in my personal rankings. Like Yan this ranking is a touch aggressive on my part.

13. Aaron Hernandez - Similar to Bradish (Good K/9 and not great BB/9) but again want to see more. Basically the same write up as Kyle. In fact I probably should have swapped them but alas....

14. Livan Soto - The plate discipline and fielding ability is attractive but he will need to fill out more if he wants to be anything more than a backup MIF. He is young enough (19) that his future is still full of potential but he needs to effectively bulk up more without sacrificing his mobility and quickness to be in the conversation with Paris and Jackson.

15. Luiz Gohara - I love this pick-up by Eppler and if Gohara returns to his mid-90's velocity as a left-hander this could prove to be a brilliant signing for the Halos. As a former top prospect Luiz has a ton of potential but only time will tell how he recovers from TJS. This is one of those picks where I could have placed him higher but wanted to tame my enthusiasm. The Angels are overdue for some luck in the pitching department and I am hoping this is one of those four-leaf clovers.

16. Trent Deveaux - Still young and has a lot of impressive tools but needs to realize his potential. His K% is not good at such a low-level but fortunately he has time to work to improve his skill set. This is one guy that could shoot up the rankings or precipitously fall off my personal list. He gets ranked here because of that variability.

17. Kevin Maitan - 2020 will be a make or break year for Kevin on my personal ranking list. He has truly untapped potential but made little progress in 2019. His pure potential is the reason I have him at #17 but if he doesn't put up, it will be time to shut up talking about him on my Top 30 list in all probability.

18. Jared Walsh - If Jared can translate his upper-level Minors numbers to the Majors he will be a force at 1B for years to come. He may not get the opportunity this year to really shine because it is such an important off-season for Eppler to go all-in and not take a gamble at this corner position but Walsh will either flourish in Anaheim or somewhere else I think. He looks like he has enough ability to carve out at least a short-term MLB career, possibly more.

19. Robinson Pina - Love his K/9 rate and dislike his BB/9 rate. Probably should have ranked him higher on this list and Aquino lower and put them both in the #10-#15 range. Lot of potential here but he may wind up as a bullpen arm rather than a starter. If he continues like this in a rotation role, he will shoot up my list, otherwise he may fall off of it. Lot of variability here.

20. D’Shawn Knowles - Young (18) and above average plate discipline. Has a lot of potential but took a slight step back in 2019. The high ceiling is what is attractive here and he could easily climb up my personal list with a good 2020. Will probably be on my list in some form or fashion for the next two seasons, maybe longer if he progresses.

21. Orlando Martinez - Took a slight step forward in 2019 and I think this ranking is pretty close to accurate. If he progresses, he could move up but probably at an incremental pace. Could be a low-to-mid level regular if everything pans out, otherwise he could be a serviceable backup OF.

22. Jose Soriano - So this has been perhaps my most controversial ranking. The good: Improved velocity, low HR/9 rate, solid GB% rate, generally low BAA. The bad: Four years in the system at no higher than A-ball and every time he has pitched in A-ball his walk rate was no lower than 5.56 on a BB/9 basis (and in Rookie ball it has generally been high with one instance where he got as low as 2.57 BB/9). At 21 years old he needs to start progressing and 2020 will be an important season for him in our system. I want him to succeed but unless he is rocking a 15.0 K/9 rate to match the 5.5 BB/9 rate, he will never be better than a 2:1 K:BB ratio which is really important for a starter in Major League Baseball. AA will be a real challenge if he makes it to that level and will reveal a lot about his ability which is, for me, still in doubt.

23. Jose Rojas - Had a good season in AA in 2018 and continued that plus more in AAA in 2019 (of course it is the PCL). The point is that Rojas continued to excel. However, the Angels thought that leaving him exposed to the Rule 5 Draft was the correct decision and that says a lot. In fact it might portend a move this off-season by the Halos to go a different path. Particularly I don't think Eppler wants to risk an important 2020 season on a rookie who hasn't played a game yet in the Majors. It is probably a likelihood that Jose never sees the Angels Major League roster and is picked up in the Rule 5 or is traded or simply goes into Minor League free agency. Hope he does well though he sure set everyone's hair on fire!

24. Leonardo Rivas - Continues to show above average plate discipline but needs to get moving up the food chain in the Minors. Is currently exposed to Rule 5 so he may be gone soon but if he stays and can make noise in 2020 he could suddenly move up the depth chart in a hurry.... or just as easily fall off the Angels Minor League rosters. Still some potential as a 22-year old switch hitting MIF.

25. Jake Jewell - Personal favorite of mine, I think as a bullpen guy with a fantastic GB% rate he could excel in a back-end role, particularly if Simmons and Fletcher play up the middle. Think he could be an important part of the Angels future.

26. Michael Hermosillo - Perennially the backup OF I think he spends 2020 in and out of the Major League roster and then could take over the full backup role in 2021 and possibly longer because Goodwin is unlikely to be kept after next season. Solid tools, above average plate discipline, solid defensively, he really is a good backup OF choice. Not sure if he makes it as a low-level regular but it is a possible outcome.

27. Will Wilson - This was another controversial opinion of mine that I will probably be the most incorrect about. Should have had him placed higher, based on his solid potential skill set, but quite frankly his 2019 season in Rookie ball as a 21-year old was not impressive at all. Will, will need to do more in 2020 to convince me he is more legit but I will admit he probably deserved a Top 20 placement.

28. Denny Brady - This is my sleeper pick:  https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa3004347&position=P  . Love what he has done so far in two successive promotions (R to A, then A to A+), showing some solid K-BB% rates including really low HR/9 rates on inflated BABIP's. He can be hittable at times but he also induces a lot of pop-ups. If he continues like this he can work his way into the back-end of the rotation, maybe more if things break really well for him.

29. Jack Kruger - Broad but unspectacular skill set and will likely end up as a backup catcher either for the Angels or another team. The reason I say the latter is that Eppler tends to lean toward more veteran catchers to-date and so catcher development is generally not something this current front office relies upon (and they don't have to as a large market team). Could stay as depth for the Angels with options too, but he will not be the primary backstop unless his skills take a huge leap.

30. Isaac Mattson - Nice K-BB%'s over the last couple of seasons. Opponents have trouble hitting his stuff and he keeps the ball in the park. Will be a solid depth option in 2020 and could see his first action in the Majors then too.

Backup four:

1. Gabriel Tapia

2. Alejandro Duran

3. Emilker Guzman

4. Cooper Criswell

1 minute ago, ettin said:

It's okay AJ, I understand and was perfectly willing to defend my position on the outliers (Soriano, Aquino, and Wilson to be precise) that I placed in my rankings. You do not need to apologize to me. I took a very statistical and peripherals based approach to my rankings so I will freely admit that some of them are not within the normal framework and in some cases like Wilson, are probably going to be proven wrong long-term.

In fact let me just post my personal rankings list and my thoughts:

1. Jo Adell - No brainer

2. Brandon Marsh - Also a no brainer

3. Patrick Sandoval - Despite a quick climb and an increasing walk rate at each new challenge, I think Sandoval will be a quality mid-rotation starter who will possibly replace Heaney one day.

4. Jordyn Adams - Love this kid's potential so also a no brainer.

5. Chris Rodriguez - High ceiling, good velocity, great potential if he can overcome this recurring back issue.

6. Kyren Paris - Very limited first season but it was a great start and he has a real chance to be our SS of the future.

7. Jahmai Jones - Still has untapped potential in my opinion but he did not trend in the right direction this year. His arm limits him to 2B, probably, and his hit tool needs to develop more. Can be a low-level backup or a full-time regular based on how his development path progresses or a lack thereof. Good makeup too, so he is still in my Top 10.

8. Stiward Aquino - Aquino has a high ceiling just like Rodriguez. My ranking is really aggressive I will admit and realistically I probably should have moved him back about 5 spots but this is where he ended up. Good K/9 rate and velocity was good prior to the TJS, so he is a wild card.

9. Jeremiah Jackson - Loved his first season in terms of power but the K% is really troublesome and could derail him long-term. Could compete with Paris for the long-term SS role but I think if Jackson keeps up this power-based approach to his game he could slip over to the hot corner, possibly.

10. Luis Madero - Nothing flashy but he is a gamer and the fact that the Angels added him to the 40-man recently also indicates the front office feels the same. After this off-season he may not have a spot in the rotation long-term so he could wind up in the bullpen or as trade bait.

11. Hector Yan - Currently mixing in as a starter and reliever, Yan has the potential to improve as the former. For now a lefty with average velocity and good K/9 rates (but a not-so-great walk rate) is enough to place him here. If that walk rate does not improve or they move him full-time to the bullpen he will drop in my personal rankings next year. He is new enough that he gets the benefit of the doubt here from me. May be a touch to aggressive on my part.

12. Kyle Bradish - Liked his first season (Good K/9 and not-so-great BB/9) and want to see more. However, he has a short leash from my point-of-view due to his age (23) and League (A+). He needs to soar in 2020 or he will fall in my personal rankings. Like Yan this ranking is a touch aggressive on my part.

13. Aaron Hernandez - Similar to Bradish (Good K/9 and not great BB/9) but again want to see more. Basically the same write up as Kyle. In fact I probably should have swapped them but alas....

14. Livan Soto - The plate discipline and fielding ability is attractive but he will need to fill out more if he wants to be anything more than a backup MIF. He is young enough (19) that his future is still full of potential but he needs to effectively bulk up more without sacrificing his mobility and quickness to be in the conversation with Paris and Jackson.

15. Luiz Gohara - I love this pick-up by Eppler and if Gohara returns to his mid-90's velocity as a left-hander this could prove to be a brilliant signing for the Halos. As a former top prospect Luiz has a ton of potential but only time will tell how he recovers from TJS. This is one of those picks where I could have placed him higher but wanted to tame my enthusiasm. The Angels are overdue for some luck in the pitching department and I am hoping this is one of those four-leaf clovers.

16. Trent Deveaux - Still young and has a lot of impressive tools but needs to realize his potential. His K% is not good at such a low-level but fortunately he has time to work to improve his skill set. This is one guy that could shoot up the rankings or precipitously fall off my personal list. He gets ranked here because of that variability.

17. Kevin Maitan - 2020 will be a make or break year for Kevin on my personal ranking list. He has truly untapped potential but made little progress in 2019. His pure potential is the reason I have him at #17 but if he doesn't put up, it will be time to shut up talking about him on my Top 30 list in all probability.

18. Jared Walsh - If Jared can translate his upper-level Minors numbers to the Majors he will be a force at 1B for years to come. He may not get the opportunity this year to really shine because it is such an important off-season for Eppler to go all-in and not take a gamble at this corner position but Walsh will either flourish in Anaheim or somewhere else I think. He looks like he has enough ability to carve out at least a short-term MLB career, possibly more.

19. Robinson Pina - Love his K/9 rate and dislike his BB/9 rate. Probably should have ranked him higher on this list and Aquino lower and put them both in the #10-#15 range. Lot of potential here but he may wind up as a bullpen arm rather than a starter. If he continues like this in a rotation role, he will shoot up my list, otherwise he may fall off of it. Lot of variability here.

20. D’Shawn Knowles - Young (18) and above average plate discipline. Has a lot of potential but took a slight step back in 2019. The high ceiling is what is attractive here and he could easily climb up my personal list with a good 2020. Will probably be on my list in some form or fashion for the next two seasons, maybe longer if he progresses.

21. Orlando Martinez - Took a slight step forward in 2019 and I think this ranking is pretty close to accurate. If he progresses, he could move up but probably at an incremental pace. Could be a low-to-mid level regular if everything pans out, otherwise he could be a serviceable backup OF.

22. Jose Soriano - So this has been perhaps my most controversial ranking. The good: Improved velocity, low HR/9 rate, solid GB% rate, generally low BAA. The bad: Four years in the system at no higher than A-ball and every time he has pitched in A-ball his walk rate was no lower than 5.56 on a BB/9 basis (and in Rookie ball it has generally been high with one instance where he got as low as 2.57 BB/9). At 21 years old he needs to start progressing and 2020 will be an important season for him in our system. I want him to succeed but unless he is rocking a 15.0 K/9 rate to match the 5.5 BB/9 rate, he will never be better than a 2:1 K:BB ratio which is really important for a starter in Major League Baseball. AA will be a real challenge if he makes it to that level and will reveal a lot about his ability which is, for me, still in doubt.

23. Jose Rojas - Had a good season in AA in 2018 and continued that plus more in AAA in 2019 (of course it is the PCL). The point is that Rojas continued to excel. However, the Angels thought that leaving him exposed to the Rule 5 Draft was the correct decision and that says a lot. In fact it might portend a move this off-season by the Halos to go a different path. Particularly I don't think Eppler wants to risk an important 2020 season on a rookie who hasn't played a game yet in the Majors. It is probably a likelihood that Jose never sees the Angels Major League roster and is picked up in the Rule 5 or is traded or simply goes into Minor League free agency. Hope he does well though he sure set everyone's hair on fire!

24. Leonardo Rivas - Continues to show above average plate discipline but needs to get moving up the food chain in the Minors. Is currently exposed to Rule 5 so he may be gone soon but if he stays and can make noise in 2020 he could suddenly move up the depth chart in a hurry.... or just as easily fall off the Angels Minor League rosters. Still some potential as a 22-year old switch hitting MIF.

25. Jake Jewell - Personal favorite of mine, I think as a bullpen guy with a fantastic GB% rate he could excel in a back-end role, particularly if Simmons and Fletcher play up the middle. Think he could be an important part of the Angels future.

26. Michael Hermosillo - Perennially the backup OF I think he spends 2020 in and out of the Major League roster and then could take over the full backup role in 2021 and possibly longer because Goodwin is unlikely to be kept after next season. Solid tools, above average plate discipline, solid defensively, he really is a good backup OF choice. Not sure if he makes it as a low-level regular but it is a possible outcome.

27. Will Wilson - This was another controversial opinion of mine that I will probably be the most incorrect about. Should have had him placed higher, based on his solid potential skill set, but quite frankly his 2019 season in Rookie ball as a 21-year old was not impressive at all. Will, will need to do more in 2020 to convince me he is more legit but I will admit he probably deserved a Top 20 placement.

28. Denny Brady - This is my sleeper pick:  https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa3004347&position=P  . Love what he has done so far in two successive promotions (R to A, then A to A+), showing some solid K-BB% rates including really low HR/9 rates on inflated BABIP's. He can be hittable at times but he also induces a lot of pop-ups. If he continues like this he can work his way into the back-end of the rotation, maybe more if things break really well for him.

29. Jack Kruger - Broad but unspectacular skill set and will likely end up as a backup catcher either for the Angels or another team. The reason I say the latter is that Eppler tends to lean toward more veteran catchers to-date and so catcher development is generally not something this current front office relies upon (and they don't have to as a large market team). Could stay as depth for the Angels with options too, but he will not be the primary backstop unless his skills take a huge lea.

30. Isaac Mattson - Nice K-BB%'s over the last couple of seasons. Opponents have trouble hitting his stuff and he keeps the ball in the park. Will be a solid depth option in 2020 and could see his first action in the Majors then too.

Backup four:

1. Gabriel Tapia

2. Alejandro Duran

3. Emilker Guzman

4. Cooper Criswell

I disagree.  😉

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Thoughts on Wilson: After a great career in a top of the line collegiate league like the ACC, he struggled to hit at the rookie league level.   Was that because he wasn't used to playing beyond June, and tired?    

I wasn't impressed with his debut. Some would disagree, but I think a big part of it could be transition to wood bats.  To me, the most telling stat was his 54.7% GB rate.  I am hoping some minor swing adjustments will make him right as rain.  He had a 17% hr/fb rate.  Which is pretty good.  He also pulled the ball too much on the ground.  Which basically means he was rolling over a bunch.  Elevate the ball more on the pull side or take it the other way.  To me, that's a timing issue.  

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

IMO....  the strength of our rankings the last couple years is that its more than 1 or 2 guys and that we come into it with very different POVs.    The differences help balance each other out.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Thoughts on Wilson: After a great career in a top of the line collegiate league like the ACC, he struggled to hit at the rookie league level.   Was that because he wasn't used to playing beyond June, and tired?    

Fatigue...   switching to wood full time -- there are a ton of reasons...   Rookie league numbers are mostly noise.

I once asked a scout a similar question about a guy that went from raking in the Pac 10 to slogging through rookie ball.   His answer was "he looked bored".   I thought it was a pretty ridiculous response but didn't think much of it at the same time.  A couple years later I see a write up on the guy in BBA, in it he responded to their question about his early struggles in pro-ball with..  "I was really bored, it was tough to go from the Pac 10 and visiting major cities to playing in a bunch of places I never heard of in the Pioneer league".

Baseball players are goofy.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Fatigue...   switching to wood full time -- there are a ton of reasons...   Rookie league numbers are mostly noise.

I once asked a scout a similar question about a guy that went from raking in the Pac 10 to slogging through rookie ball.   His answer was "he looked bored".   I thought it was a pretty ridiculous response but didn't think much of it at the same time.  A couple years later I see a write up on the guy in BBA, in it he responded to their question about his early struggles in pro-ball with..  "I was really bored, it was tough to go from the Pac 10 and visiting major cities to playing in a bunch of places I never heard of in the Pioneer league".

Baseball players are goofy.

And that's what I'm hoping it is with Wilson. It's hard to ignore what somebody is and instead draft what they will someday be.

But three Angels specifically come to mind. The first is CJ Cron. Wasn't bad but also wasn't impressive in the minors. He was ok in a part time role with the Angels but became a legitimate starting 1B once given a full time role and that's largely due to HR's and the ability to make contact. He's better at the pro level than he ever was in the minors.

Matt Thaiss is the second. He's had his doubters since the Angels drafted him, and those are mostly built off of a lack of power. It's taken a few years, but the power has arrived. I'm not saying he's a starter immediately, but it looks to me like Eppler recognized what he would be over what he was at the time.

The third would be Wilson. He has a better hit tool than Thaiss and Cron, but appears to lack Thaiss' plate discipline, or the power of Cron and Thaiss.  My guess is the end result will be a borderline starting middle infielder that hits .280 with halfway decent defense and collects some doubles.

I suppose an unofficial 4th would be Taylor Ward, but that's mostly because he isn't even close the prospect he was when he was drafted, and there's no way Ric Wilson and Tony Reagins envisioned him from being a defensive first catcher to a slugger with no position.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

And that's what I'm hoping it is with Wilson. It's hard to ignore what somebody is and instead draft what they will someday be.

The third would be Wilson. He has a better hit tool than Thaiss and Cron, but appears to lack Thaiss' plate discipline, or the power of Cron and Thaiss.  My guess is the end result will be a borderline starting middle infielder that hits .280 with halfway decent defense and collects some doubles.

David Fletcher with worse fielding?

I also think some of the Will Wilson critique came from the fact he was a disappointing draft pick.  Just about every ranking had him roughly where the angels chose him.  Not to mention, we have a lot of guys in the system already who project as a short or 2nd, so what did he really add to our farm system?  Not to mention, we are sorely lack pitching both in the parent club and in the minors that I really wanted to draft the best available pitcher.  That aside, I think the Angels did not think anyone available was really worth their draft slot value, so they chose the best prospect they liked who they thought they could save a few dollars on by signing other potential high ceiling guys.  Because I believe the next three picks are all guys who could be top 50 prospects one day.  

With all this said, Wil Wilson was pretty much a consensus top 20 prospect who projects to be a good middle infielder with some power.   Just because he had a lack luster debut doesn't negate in entire body of work in college or all the scouting reports that had him a consensus top 20-25 player in the draft.   I am actually waiting to see (and sort of expecting) if he rocks both Burlington and Inland Empire pitching next year.  I also tend to think the comparisons to Thaiss are a bit premature, but I still have hope for Thaiss as well.  I still think Thaiss could be a good baseball player.  I have concerns, though, he won't really be given a chance.  I tend to think players really need some time to get their feet wet and go through their lumps, and Thaiss hasn't been given that opportunity. Bringing in Bour was a bad move, and they should have just platooned Thaiss with Albert (we couldn't have done any worse) all year.  Get Thaiss a good 250 plus at bats this year and let's see how he does.