Ron Mexico

Grandal signs with the Chicago White Sox (4 years - $73 mil)

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so we didn't want him for the money he signed for until we found out that we were in on him and didn't get him?  

Nope. I never wanted Grandal. However, if true that we were in on him, this is another case where Eppler lost out on someone he was targeting and that I find concerning.

Not so much for Cole because his market isn’t very big but for someone like Wheeler, it’s concerning. 

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Nope. I never wanted Grandal. However, if true that we were in on him, this is another case where Eppler lost out on someone he was targeting and that I find concerning.

Doc wins . . . 

28 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so we didn't want him for the money he signed for until we found out that we were in on him and didn't get him?  

MLBTR had him getting a 4/68 deal. If the Angels signed him for 4/73, most posters here would be commenting that he only got 5 million more than what the "experts" thought and that the Halos got a great catcher at a great deal. Since they didn't sign him, the White Sox overpaid and will come to regret it. Gotta love the spin on these fan forums. I don't recall any of the posters here that are bagging on the Sox stating what they would pay for Grandal and at what price Eppler should walk away from.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

MLBTR had him getting a 4/68 deal. If the Angels signed him for 4/73, most posters here would be commenting that he only got 5 million more than what the "experts" thought and that the Halos got a great catcher at a great deal. Since they didn't sign him, the White Sox overpaid and will come to regret it. Gotta love the spin on these fan forums. I don't recall any of posters here that are bagging on the Sox stating what they would pay for Grandal and at what price Eppler should walk away from.

wrong 

4/73 is an overpay, regardless of which team signed him

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

wrong 

4/73 is an overpay, regardless of which team signed him

Okay so where was this a week ago? Where are all the posts about how much Eppler should offer Grandal and the highest amount of years and dollars he or posters here would go? BTW, if he keeps up a 2.5 WAR, he's worth it.

His last 3 years bWar, 2.2, 3.3, 2.5

Just now, beatlesrule said:

Okay so where was this a week ago? Where are all the posts about how much Eppler should offer Grandal and the highest amount of years and dollars he or posters here would go?

there are plenty of posts stating what posters would offer Grandal 

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Okay so where was this a week ago? Where are all the posts about how much Eppler should offer Grandal and the highest amount of years and dollars he or posters here would go? BTW, if he keeps up a 2.5 WAR, he's worth it.

Yeah there were a lot of posters who wanted Grandal and I’m guessing they were content with a 4/60 contract for him. 

If you wanted Grandal than 3.25 mill a year isn’t significant enough to justify losing out on him. 

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

there are plenty of posts stating what posters would offer Grandal 

So I skimmed through this thread

and most of the posts about Grandal have him getting very similar AAV. Some are only 3 years but adding a 4th would put his contract about to what he got. None of the posts I saw commented a max they would offer him. I am sure there are other threads about what his contract might look like but my point is, he didn't get some outrageous contract that blew away what most here would offer him. Many posters here were pretty close so I don't see why so many are saying he got too much. Again, if the Angels would have signed him, this would be a completely different thread with way more positive remarks about the contract.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, totdprods said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

• 1. Gerrit Cole - 8/$256m
  • 24. Wade Miley - 2/$16m
  • 34. Jason Castro - 2/$10m

This actually seems pretty realistic, though a bit underwhelming. Might need to swing a trade or round out the pen and bench with some solid low-dollar signs to really make the offseason feel like a win if those were the three we landed.

They have Wheeler at 5/$100m to Philly and Grandal to Cincy for 4/$68m. I'd pass on both for those amounts. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:52 AM, wopphil said:

As for a non-Cole offseason, what if it went something like this:

Wheeler - 5/100 (16 first year)

Odorizzi - 4/56 (12 first year)

Donaldson - 3/66 (20 first year)

Grandal - 4/56 (12 first year)

That's a huge offseason with 60 mil in new money for 2020, which is potentially doable.

a quick 3-minute search 

I would have a much stronger interest in signing Maldonado if Cole signs with the Angels.  I would just consider it part of Cole's contract in a way.  He's not going to cost anywhere near what you would have had to sink in Grandal. No he won't hit anywhere near Grandal's level, but he would be good enough on a one or two year contract.  Just get two exceptional starting pitchers lined up who can pitch near 200 innings, and either a third one who can also eat innings (but at a lower tier level), or at least a veteran reliever to support the bullpen further.  After that it's up to Eppler to make trades to bolster the offense some.  If Eppler can trade for a catcher, that would work as well.

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

So I skimmed through this thread

and most of the posts about Grandal have him getting very similar AAV. Some are only 3 years but adding a 4th would put his contract about to what he got. None of the posts I saw commented a max they would offer him. I am sure there are other threads about what his contract might look like but my point is, he didn't get some outrageous contract that blew away what most here would offer him. Many posters here were pretty close so I don't see why so many are saying he got too much. Again, if the Angels would have signed him, this would be a completely different thread with way more positive remarks about the contract.

Like I assumed three people had him at 4/60 and two others are looking at the 4/73 as a bargain.

Ok, so if Eppler wanted him and lost out on him it is Eppler’s fault?  So it isn’t possible he would want him at a certain price point but if it went above that he no longer saw any value in that type of deal?  Yea bullshit.  So he targeted a guy and didn’t get him and the only answer is he failed.  And yes paying a guy $3 million more per year is a big deal.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok, so if Eppler wanted him and lost out on him it is Eppler’s fault?  So it isn’t possible he would want him at a certain price point but if it went above that he no longer saw any value in that type of deal?  Yea bullshit.  So he targeted a guy and didn’t get him and the only answer is he failed.  And yes paying a guy $3 million more per year is a big deal.  

Oh boo hoo, someone said something negative about Billy! Last I checked Eppler was the GM no? Eppler doesn’t have a great track record with judging the FA market, losing out on targets and then overpaying for the guys he does get. 

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol @ a difference in cost of 22% being no big deal.

i hope you don't run a business (unless you're my competitor)

3.25 mill a year in this business given everything, yeah not that big of a deal if he’s someone you want. 

But keep doing you. 

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

3.25 mill a year in this business given everything, yeah not that big of a deal if he’s someone you want. 

But keep doing you. 

you are literally the most negative fan I've ever met. 

Ever. 

and keep doing me? what would ever give you the notion that I won't? the track record is fairly long. 

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Oh boo hoo, someone said something negative about Billy! Last I checked Eppler was the GM no? Eppler doesn’t have a great track record with judging the FA market, losing out on targets and then overpaying for the guys he does get. 

Ok but it had little to do with Eppler and more to do with your lack of common sense on this subject.  I’ve agreed with you a lot lately, but this one is pretty bad.