Ron Mexico

Grandal signs with the Chicago White Sox (4 years - $73 mil)

9 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I"m going to need to see your financials along with everyone else's to confirm that.

Well, there is my Trout jersey. And my Ohtani jersey. And my Salmon WS replica jersey. and my Angels jacket, 5 or 6 t-shirts, hoodie, beanie, cooler bag, license plate frame, tie, 6 or 7 hats, window decal, and every other Angel item I have purchased since I was a kid.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Agree.  I like Grandal a lot, but that extra 18m for a 34yo catcher is too much risk for my taste.  

While I agree, the free agent market often works out this way. It’s what we said about Corbin last year. It’s possible Strasberg, Cole and Wheeler all sign for an amount above what we are comfortable with.

58 minutes ago, RBM said:

I'm thinking Eppler was in until he was out. He was in for 3 years at $15-16 M. He was out when it went to 4 years and a higher AAV.

If this is true then Eppler wasn't even close. Hope he's not that far off on his bid for Cole.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

If this is true then Eppler wasn't even close. Hope he's not that far off on his bid for Cole.

I don't the situations are comparable.  Grandal is a "yeah, sure, if it fits in these parameters"...Cole is significantly more important overall considering the team's strengths and weaknesses.  That being said, if they make some half-assed offer like 6/$180 mil?  Yeah, they should be skewered...

32 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Seems to be Eppler’s MO to this point in free agency

Unless you count Billy outbidding himself for Zack Cozart 

What was the next closest offer for Zack?  

I’d have to think it was the fourth year, more than the AAV, that made the Angels move on. Eppler had to know Grandal wouldn’t sign for much less than the $18-plus million/yr that MIL had just paid him.

29 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I don't the situations are comparable.  Grandal is a "yeah, sure, if it fits in these parameters"...Cole is significantly more important overall considering the team's strengths and weaknesses.  That being said, if they make some half-assed offer like 6/$180 mil?  Yeah, they should be skewered...

Grandal was a luxury option. Would’ve been great short term. Long term? I’m not mad he dropped out. I’d maybe do 4 years for a lower aav, but that’s lot to guarantee a catcher at that age. 

Starting pitching is a need, not a luxury. That’s where it’s okay to overpay. I assume the Sox are trying to signal to guys like Cole that they’re serious about competing. That’s why we should go hard for Wheeler. Send a message that we’re going for it.