• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network: Joel Sherman plays Angels GM for day

Chuck

I actually watched the video.   

I'm pretty sure he's an AW poster.  

If the Halos are exchanging high priced contracts, I'd rather go with someone like Cueto.  

For whatever reason, Sherman thinks we could exchange Cozart for something.  While I don't really think so, if you could get the SFG to pay down about 10m of Cueto's contract in the second year and take Cozart then you'd be getting Cueto at about 2/20.  If you could get them to allocate the money into the first year and then get creative with an Albert buyout in 2021, then you wouldn't be adding much in terms of payroll for the next couple years.  Again, not gonna happen but if we're getting a bit creative.....

Also, would you take on Kimbrel's 2/33 if you could lessen the prospect capital to get Contreras or Caritini?  I probably wouldn't, but it's interesting to think about.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I actually watched the video.   

I'm pretty sure he's an AW poster.  

If the Halos are exchanging high priced contracts, I'd rather go with someone like Cueto.  

For whatever reason, Sherman thinks we could exchange Cozart for something.  While I don't really think so, if you could get the SFG to pay down about 10m of Cueto's contract in the second year and take Cozart then you'd be getting Cueto at about 2/20.  If you could get them to allocate the money into the first year and then get creative with an Albert buyout in 2021, then you wouldn't be adding much in terms of payroll for the next couple years.  Again, not gonna happen but if we're getting a bit creative.....

Also, would you take on Kimbrel's 2/33 if you could lessen the prospect capital to get Contreras or Caritini?  I probably wouldn't, but it's interesting to think about.  

I keep wondering if Maddon will be working with Eppler on acquiring some of his guys.

I would love to get Contreras, Darvish and Kimbrel. Give them Cozart and send them Jordyn Adams and a couple B prospects and call it good. That takes a ton of money off their hands.

20 hours ago, floplag said:

So if im getting this right, he prposed this:
I guess Joel Sherman was on MLB Network today and said this about the Angels:
#1. Sign Gerrit Cole
#2.  Trade Upton & 2 prospects to Boston for David Price
#3.  Sign Yasmani Grandal
#4.  Acquire Craig Kimbrel from Cubs for prospects
If this isnt correct someone please update it but this is what i to from another thread but i didnt hear it first hand

So...  with that, #s 1 and 3 make perfect sense. Although we would still need another pitcher IMO which is why i assume he suggested #2.
#2.  Straight up, maybe, i could see some merit to it but not with added prospects, if anything THEY should add for the salary relief that solves a lot of their problems.  2 guys missing a lot of time one costing 24M more than the other over three years doesnt equate to us adding anything to that deal.  If we added anything AND took on more money thats full win for them.  Plus, where does that leave us for a LF in '20?  Where would they even play him, what did he say about that?    If they are showing Bradley the door send him here then maybe some prospects make sense, but i just dont see it making sense, its creative just screams more what he wants for Boston than what makes sense for us. 
#4.  No, just no, i dont see him spending that kind of money on the pen, they would have to be fringe prospects to take that on or they would need the throw in Contreras ro something to get more, in short, nope. 

#2 I agree, they should send back another player or prospect. But Price makes only $21M more in real salary than Upton, and Upton is more valuable. But the Angels have two stud OF ready in 2020 or 2021 for playing time. The reason Sherman said they'd be interested is that Price is due $31M per season and his luxury tax is the same. They are near the threshold and Upton's AAV is only $21M per, so they'd get a $10M luxury tax savings.

#3 Kimbrel is due $16M in real salary, $14.3M in AAV for the next two seasons. He suggested trading Zack Cozart for Kimbrel and the Cubs sending us a prospect for the salary difference. I'd do this IMO. KImbrel may be down, but he's an elite arm when healthy and right, and for essentially Zack Cozarts money in 2020, plus yes, the same amount in 2021. Maybe you ask them to eat $6-8M of it in 2021. They still save $11-13M.