• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network: Joel Sherman plays Angels GM for day

Chuck

20 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Upton was crap last season but put up 3.8 bWAR in '18 and 5.8 bWAR in '17. I have more faith in him bouncing back than I do Price. 

Price bWar last 3 years

2017 1.6 

2018 4.4

2019 1.9

Total of 7.9

Upton bWar last 3 years

2017 5.8

2018 3.8

2019 -0.9

Total of 8.7

It's close but Upton was more valuable. Sherman did mention that the Angels need to take a gamble and that's what this trade would be. Upton will be 33 in August and Price will be 35 in August. 

I don't love or hate this idea but I agree that the Angels would need to get someone else back in the deal. By trading away Upton, Adell would have to start the year in right field and left field would be Goodwin unless a left fielder comes back from Boston.

Bottom line is, this is just a small segment from a television program and no real life inside info. 

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Price bWar last 3 years

2017 1.6 

2018 4.4

2019 1.9

Total of 7.9

Upton bWar last 3 years

2017 5.8

2018 3.8

2019 -0.9

Total of 8.7

It's close but Upton was more valuable. Sherman did mention that the Angels need to take a gamble and that's what this trade would be. Upton will be 33 in August and Price will be 35 in August. 

I don't love or hate this idea but I agree that the Angels would need to get someone else back in the deal. By trading away Upton, Adell would have to start the year in right field and left field would be Goodwin unless a left fielder comes back from Boston.

Bottom line is, this is just a small segment from a television program and no real life inside info. 

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Price bWar last 3 years

2017 1.6 

2018 4.4

2019 1.9

Total of 7.9

Upton bWar last 3 years

2017 5.8

2018 3.8

2019 -0.9

Total of 8.7

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Price bWar last 3 years

2017 1.6 

2018 4.4

2019 1.9

Total of 7.9

Upton bWar last 3 years

2017 5.8

2018 3.8

2019 -0.9

Total of 8.7

I'm unclear what point you're trying to make.  Could you please post more to clear it up?  Thank you.

What if the Angels took Jackie Bradley and Price for Upton and Cozart, and Boston ate a bit of salary still?

Off top of head, haven’t looked at salaries or anything. Maybe by taking more Price salary after ‘20 and taking JBJ now, they’d match up better?

Edited by totdprods

So if im getting this right, he prposed this:
I guess Joel Sherman was on MLB Network today and said this about the Angels:
#1. Sign Gerrit Cole
#2.  Trade Upton & 2 prospects to Boston for David Price
#3.  Sign Yasmani Grandal
#4.  Acquire Craig Kimbrel from Cubs for prospects
If this isnt correct someone please update it but this is what i to from another thread but i didnt hear it first hand

So...  with that, #s 1 and 3 make perfect sense. Although we would still need another pitcher IMO which is why i assume he suggested #2.
#2.  Straight up, maybe, i could see some merit to it but not with added prospects, if anything THEY should add for the salary relief that solves a lot of their problems.  2 guys missing a lot of time one costing 24M more than the other over three years doesnt equate to us adding anything to that deal.  If we added anything AND took on more money thats full win for them.  Plus, where does that leave us for a LF in '20?  Where would they even play him, what did he say about that?    If they are showing Bradley the door send him here then maybe some prospects make sense, but i just dont see it making sense, its creative just screams more what he wants for Boston than what makes sense for us. 
#4.  No, just no, i dont see him spending that kind of money on the pen, they would have to be fringe prospects to take that on or they would need the throw in Contreras ro something to get more, in short, nope. 

are we that desperate to take on Price for his age 34-36 seasons at a ridiculous salary?  Even if the Sox paid some of that salary, what does it come down to?  20mil per?  Just spend that money on Wheeler.  We're taking away some of our financial flexibility for a marginally useful pitcher.  Forget the name for a second and look at what you're getting for a guy in his mid 30's making tons of money.  The whole point of paying a guy like price that much is so that you get his age 30-33yo season with the assumption that age 34 and beyond is likely gonna be painful.   If here were a free agent this year, he'd be in the Hamels/Keuchel/Ryu range at best getting 2/30-3/45 at most.  

He's on a bullet train to sucktown on the Sox dime and we want to jump in front to take him there ourselves?  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

are we that desperate to take on Price for his age 34-36 seasons at a ridiculous salary?  Even if the Sox paid some of that salary, what does it come down to?  20mil per?  Just spend that money on Wheeler.  We're taking away some of our financial flexibility for a marginally useful pitcher.  Forget the name for a second and look at what you're getting for a guy in his mid 30's making tons of money.  The whole point of paying a guy like price that much is so that you get his age 30-33yo season with the assumption that age 34 and beyond is likely gonna be painful.   If here were a free agent this year, he'd be in the Hamels/Keuchel/Ryu range at best getting 2/30-3/45 at most.  

He's on a bullet train to sucktown on the Sox dime and we want to jump in front to take him there ourselves?  

Something something Maddon reunion something something.

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Exactly. Only way this makes sense is if we think getting him out of Boston and the AL East will turn back the clock and make him SuperPrice. Otherwise, we’re creating a hole and spending the same money we would be for another good arm with more upside. 

7 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

A 34 year old pitcher who has missed significant time the last 2 seasons due to injuries... gee what could possibly go wrong

I'm glad he's not the GM, because his way we don't get Cole or Wheeler and lose a LF. I would trade Cozart for Kimbrel in a second only because Cozart is an anchor at this point.

34 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm glad he's not the GM, because his way we don't get Cole or Wheeler and lose a LF. I would trade Cozart for Kimbrel in a second only because Cozart is an anchor at this point.

Cozart is not really tradeable at this point. He’s had season ending shoulder surgery two years in a row and there’s serious questions about his health next year. 

People need to stop thinking that he’s a trading chip.

These GM for a day ideas are really fun, and I respect that Sherman didn't simply say, "Sign Gerrit Cole." That's the last argument.

Again, I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think the Angels could use a total overhaul of their rotation. The only two I'd want there are Canning and Ohtani and neither were pitching at the end of the year. I'd trade Heaney for a catcher, and bring in Wheeler, Ryu and Hamels and Pineda. Granted that would only be possible by back-loading Wheeler's deal, but it would essentially wipe the pitching slate clean so that they could start the process over.

It just feels like the Heaney is that last holdover left from the Dipoto built pitching staff that we'd all like to forget.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

These GM for a day ideas are really fun, and I respect that Sherman didn't simply say, "Sign Gerrit Cole." That's the last argument.

Again, I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think the Angels could use a total overhaul of their rotation. The only two I'd want there are Canning and Ohtani and neither were pitching at the end of the year. I'd trade Heaney for a catcher, and bring in Wheeler, Ryu and Hamels and Pineda. Granted that would only be possible by back-loading Wheeler's deal, but it would essentially wipe the pitching slate clean so that they could start the process over.

It just feels like the Heaney is that last holdover left from the Dipoto built pitching staff that we'd all like to forget.

Cole, Ohtani, Wheeler, Canning, Gibson

7 hours ago, floplag said:

So if im getting this right, he prposed this:
I guess Joel Sherman was on MLB Network today and said this about the Angels:
#1. Sign Gerrit Cole
#2.  Trade Upton & 2 prospects to Boston for David Price
#3.  Sign Yasmani Grandal
#4.  Acquire Craig Kimbrel from Cubs for prospects

This actually isn't necessarily the worst of plans, although a few things:

For #2, zero chance we would include prospects.  If anything, Boston should kick in some money, such that we are swapping one contract for another at basically an equal cost.  I'm actually okay with this idea, because the deepest part of our organization is OF.  We have a top 5 prospect in baseball in Adell, and a top 50 prospect in Marsh who will both begin in AAA and are very close to being ready.  Beyond them, we have Adams, Knowles, etc.  Sure, the start of 2020 might be a bit light in terms of OFers, but I'd expect Adell to be ready within 1-2 months, and Marsh seems like he wouldn't be far behind.

#4 is ridiculous.  I'd instead use the money and sign Ryu instead.

Lineup, to start the season:  LaStella 3B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Grandal C, Goodwin RF, Thaiss/Pujols 1B, Simba SS, Fletcher LF, Rengifo 2B

Lineup, at midseason:  LaStella 3B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Grandal C, Adell RF, Goodwin (or Marsh?) LF, Thaiss/Pujols 1B, Simba SS, Fletcher 2B

Rotation:  Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Price, Heaney, Canning.  Looks rather good to me.