Jump to content

Vernon Wells...the Agent


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wells' sales pitch to potential clients: "You know what my OPS was in 2011? 660. You know what my salary was? $26 million. Let me show you how to get that kind of deal."

I mean if there was ever a guy that got the maximum amount of money for minimal output, it's Wells.

He was pretty solid for us on defense.     

Posted Images

As long as guys like Tony Reagins can be a GM, a guy like Vernon ("effin") Wells can be an agent.  

Ugh, was having a bad day already - didn't really need to hear Vernon Wells' name 🤮

p.s. - to be fair, I don't blame Wells at all - seems like a decent guy - but that trade ranks among the worst in baseball history for sheer, obvious, apoplectic stupidity - and that stupidity was glaringly obvious on the day it was made, not like many that looked fair at the outside only to blow up in retrospect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

As long as guys like Tony Reagins can be a GM, a guy like Vernon ("effin") Wells can be an agent.  

Ugh, was having a bad day already - didn't really need to hear Vernon Wells' name 🤮

p.s. - to be fair, I don't blame Wells at all - seems like a decent guy - but that trade ranks among the worst in baseball history for sheer, obvious, apoplectic stupidity - and that stupidity was glaringly obvious on the day it was made, not like many that looked fair at the outside only to blow up in retrospect.

i'm giving you extra credit for using "apoplectic."

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Who were the Angels braintrust who were responsible for that trade?

I seem to remember Sosh's fingerprints on that one.

If I remember correctly, when we missed out on Beltre or Crawford Arte was so gung ho about bringing in a big name that he threatened Reagins job if he didn’t get someone or pull the trigger on this trade.

I think it’s been well documented from people that were involved or part of the organization at the time.

One of the worst knee jerk reaction and trades of all-time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The year before he was traded Wells had one if not the worst contracts in baseball.  After having one of the 3 best seasons of his career at age 31 someone in the FO thought he was worth acquiring.  On the bright side that trade probably led to some of the best threads over the years considering who they traded for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Actually the opposite, Toronto turned around and flipped Naps to Texas, if I remember correctly.

right, and after landing in texas, he got to the WS twice with the rangers, once with boston, and once with cleveland. that turned out pretty well for napoli.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tank said:

right, and after landing in texas, he got to the WS twice with the rangers, once with boston, and once with cleveland. that turned out pretty well for napoli.

I never applied that philosophy, especially when multiple teams are involved. He bounced around the league which isn’t a good sign.

It’s like saying us trading Edmonds for Bottenfield and some throw in named Adam Kennedy won us the WS in 2002 because Kennedy hit three homer us in the ALCS.

If Toronto keeps him maybe none of it happens. Luck of the draw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

If I remember correctly, when we missed out on Beltre or Crawford Arte was so gung ho about bringing in a big name that he threatened Reagins job if he didn’t get someone or pull the trigger on this trade.

I think it’s been well documented from people that were involved or part of the organization at the time.

One of the worst knee jerk reaction and trades of all-time.

what's funny is that if we had signed Crawford everybody would have been celebrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...