• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which relievers do you want the Angels to target in free agency?

mmc

Most of the talk around here is about starting pitching as it is by far our biggest need, but while our bullpen is solid, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add 1 or 2 good relievers to make our bullpen one of the best in the league.  Which relievers do you want the Angels to pursue in free agency?  The best reliever, Will Smith, is already off the board, but I would be very happy if the Angels could sign at least one of Dellin Betances, Will Harris, Chris Martin, Daniel Hudson, Drew Pomeranz, or Steve Cishek.

Get Cole and another second tier pitcher first. Secondly try and sign another catcher. If after that there is any room in the budget maybe I would consider a  RP. Middleton is back from his TJ surgery, and with some of the pitchers rushed to the majors last season maybe 1 or 2 of them could become a long man in the pen and be a possible spot starter when needed...

Just wouldn't worry about the pen too much this offseason with the rotation in the disarray it's been in for the last several seasons.

19 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

We don’t need bullpen help

I think you can ALWAYS use bullpen help. But Eppler doesn't seem to want to spend on relievers, and honestly given how fickle relievers are I agree with him.

He'll almost certainly pick up 1-2 guys on the cheap with the hopes of a clean peanut. Buttrey, Middleton, and Robles is a pretty damn good trio for the final 3 innings.

2 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

None.  The bullpen is already among the best in baseball, and we are going to get a full season next year from Middleton. We could even trade one of the guys for a lefty reliever, if necessary.

Just remember that guys who are heavily reliant on L/R splits are less valuable now that we have a 3 batter minimum for relievers in 2020. So, no more LOOGY’s.

I dont think its something they will spend money on as the needs are greater elsewhere, but, i think Dos and Strad pretty much nailed it, Betancis and McHugh
Betancis was I believe a leg injury, achilles to be exact, if thats healed up and doesnt affect his motion he could be helpful. and McHugh could also spot start since he was a starter till last year.
If there is any money left over, they wouldnt be bad ideas at all.

Nobody, because we need to allocate every single possible penny to SPs and a catcher.  Again, my dream offseason is to add Cole (7yr 35mil AAV, 25-27mil year 1), Ryu (3yr 16mil AAV, 12-14mil year 1), and Grandal (4yr 15mil AAV, 12mil yr 1).  If we can't afford those 3, trade Simba (-15mil), which means we're "only" adding roughly 35-40mil of salary for next year.  

Rotation:  Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, one of Sandoval/Barria/Suarez

Lineup (with Ohtani):  La Stella 3B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Grandal C, Upton LF, Goodwin RF, Fletcher SS, Thaiss / Pujols 1B, Rengifo 2B

Lineup (without Ohtani):  La Stella 3B, Trout CF, Grandal C, Upton LF, Goodwin RF, Thaiss 1B, Fletcher SS, Pujols DH, Rengifo 2B

Priorities....

KEY.

Extremely important - absolutely necessary for any chance of contention. 

Very important - a definite need, but some flexibility in terms of how its accomplished. 

Optional - a luxury but not a big priority, and more of a bonus.

2019-20 OFFSEASON PRIORITIES

1. Very good starting pitcher 

2. Good plus starting pitcher  

3. Catcher upgrade 

4. Relievers

5. Added offense somewhere

6. Third starting pitcher

Edited by Angelsjunky

26 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Just remember that guys who are heavily reliant on L/R splits are less valuable now that we have a 3 batter minimum for relievers in 2020. So, no more LOOGY’s.

That's why I hope we'd be looking for a LHP that throws hard, with maybe only 1 other plus pitch.  I know, hard to find, but look, we traded away Will Smith.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yep, McHugh would be my choice as well.  I don’t know what Betances injury was but if it wasn’t his shoulder he would be a good get as well.  

Betances missed the first 24 weeks of the season with shoulder and lat injuries.He then tore his Achilles tendon in his first game back. I think he would be worth the risk on a one year deal,he could be fairly cheap on a one year deal to show he is healthy.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Nobody, because we need to allocate every single possible penny to SPs and a catcher.  Again, my dream offseason is to add Cole (7yr 35mil AAV, 25-27mil year 1), Ryu (3yr 16mil AAV, 12-14mil year 1), and Grandal (4yr 15mil AAV, 12mil yr 1).  If we can't afford those 3, trade Simba (-15mil), which means we're "only" adding roughly 35-40mil of salary for next year.  

Rotation:  Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, one of Sandoval/Barria/Suarez

Lineup (with Ohtani):  La Stella 3B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Grandal C, Upton LF, Goodwin RF, Fletcher SS, Thaiss / Pujols 1B, Rengifo 2B

Lineup (without Ohtani):  La Stella 3B, Trout CF, Grandal C, Upton LF, Goodwin RF, Thaiss 1B, Fletcher SS, Pujols DH, Rengifo 2B

La Stella?