• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Finding Value in Free Agency...

Inside Pitch

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I think this where you pick up a very solid second tier pitcher then go to Cole (through Boras, obviously) and say, we laid the foundation, are you in or out? If there is hesitation you go hard after a Wheeler/Ryu/Bumgarner and not be left out in the cold late in the off season. 

It would be nice to get Cole. It would be a disaster to go another off season not putting the best arms in the rotation you can afford because your main target held up the process then bailed.

The problem is that these second tier pitchers may wait until Cole sets the market with his final price tag, then go off of that. 

I hope not, but that's kind of concerned me. That this could be a LONG WINTER before it gets good. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The problem is that these second tier pitchers may wait until Cole sets the market with his final price tag, then go off of that. 

I hope not, but that's kind of concerned me. That this could be a LONG WINTER before it gets good. 

that would actually be a good thing.  then we could focus on Cole, get him done and still have a ton of options for that second guy.  I don't think it will happen though.  Cole is in a completely different bracket in terms of price.  

I think wheeler is going to move very quick and set the secondary market early.  Bumgarner will be this years Keuchel unless he takes 3 years.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that would actually be a good thing.  then we could focus on Cole, get him done and still have a ton of options for that second guy.  I don't think it will happen though.  Cole is in a completely different bracket in terms of price.  

I think wheeler is going to move very quick and set the secondary market early.  Bumgarner will be this years Keuchel unless he takes 3 years.  

I really hope we can snag Wheeler first, then go to Boras and Cole and say, we'll offer you 100 more million dollars than Wheeler. Let's get-r-Done! 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I really hope we can snag Wheeler first, then go to Boras and Cole and say, we'll offer you 100 more million dollars than Wheeler. Let's get-r-Done! 

if we go after Wheeler, I will be surprised.  Pleasantly of course because I can almost guarantee we'll go after Cole.  

24 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cole will cost more than a hundred million more than Wheeler. Highest projections I’ve seen for Wheeler are around 100 million. About the lowest for Cole are around 225.

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Just focusing on the SP available...

2020Offseason.jpg

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?pos=sp

Pineda, Gibson --  both those guys looks like good gets.   Gibson in particular looks like a candidate to improve -- GB% over 50, in front of a bad Minnesota defense probably contributed to his inflated BABIP (3rd worst in MLB).  The dude, also had a strand rate of 67.50 -- which was the 4th worst in MLB.

In other words..   Kyle Gibson had the third worst defensive showing behind him, coupled with the fourth worst BP support.

Both guys are being projected for two years deals, one at 11 mil per, the other at 10 mil.  Both are projected to be 2+ fWAR pitchers...    While Cole should be the number one target, there are solid options beyond Wheeler for that 2nd spot.

So, given the recent discussion of the importance of defense, and pitchers who can create their own outs...

Pineda since then, 74 IP, 3.39 ERA, 3.57 FIP, 8.8 K/9

Gibson since then, 127 IP, 3.88 ERA, 4.37 FIP, 7.5 K/9

Combined they'll make 17.5 mil this year.   Pineda will be a FA again this winter.

46 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, given the recent discussion of the importance of defense, and pitchers who can create their own outs...

Combined they'll make 17.5 mil this year.   Pineda will be a FA again this winter.

I'm trying to think of a response to this. Cobb has been good. 

Quintana? 

Scared Horror GIF

Teheran and Harvey don't exist.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Somehow with the Angels luck, if he signed with the Angels Pineda will get hit so hard here that everyone will call him Piñata.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Perhaps a trade this summer for Pineda if we’re still within 5-7 games in July. Twins are done.