• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Finding Value in Free Agency...

Inside Pitch

Just focusing on the SP available...

2020Offseason.jpg

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?pos=sp

Pineda, Gibson --  both those guys looks like good gets.   Gibson in particular looks like a candidate to improve -- GB% over 50, in front of a bad Minnesota defense probably contributed to his inflated BABIP (3rd worst in MLB).  The dude, also had a strand rate of 67.50 -- which was the 4th worst in MLB.

In other words..   Kyle Gibson had the third worst defensive showing behind him, coupled with the fourth worst BP support.

Both guys are being projected for two years deals, one at 11 mil per, the other at 10 mil.  Both are projected to be 2+ fWAR pitchers...    While Cole should be the number one target, there are solid options beyond Wheeler for that 2nd spot.

6 hours ago, greginpsca said:

I don't know much about Gibson, other than i have heard that he is not a hard thrower. That doesn't make him a likely sign by Eppler. Eppie has a thing for hard throwers.

Fair statement...   But his average FB velocity was 92 MPH last year .... that puts him ahead of Ryu (90.0), and Bumgarner (91.4).   Basically you have the elite guys -- Cole, Strasburg, and Wheeler above him and then a bunch of guys at or below where Gibson is...  

What Gibson DOES bring is elite GB rates...  The only guys to throw 150+ innings with a better GB rate..

Dakota Hudson
Luis Castillo
Brett Anderson
Marcus Stroman
Max Fried

Whether or not Eppler will target him I dunno -- but he is IMO one of the better bets out there considering the price and what the stats are showing us.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=150&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=14,d

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't think the Angels are getting Cole. Whenever all the talking heads say something is a given, and every day threads are built around that narrative it just seems doomed. 

It’s true.  But it sure does feel like they have a great shot.  The Angels desperately need him.  We all know that tho. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't think the Angels are getting Cole. Whenever all the talking heads say something is a given, and every day threads are built around that narrative it just seems doomed. 

If we don’t sign Cole we can cancel the creation of the Scott Boras appreciation thread. 

The thing about Cole is.... have we ever had anyone like him? 

Ryan i guess, but im too young. Weave at his peak, lackey, Fin, etc... all great pitchers... but I cant really think off the top of my head how many bonafide cy young candidates (sorry Bart) wave ever had. Coupled with Trout would be nice... like Seattle in the 90s...

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ryan i guess, but im too young. Weave at his peak, lackey, Fin, etc... all great pitchers... but I cant really think off the top of my head how many bonafide cy young candidates (sorry Bart) wave ever had. Coupled with Trout would be nice... like Seattle in the 90s...

Nope. Weaver for 2-3 years was close. 

Dude's a franchise changer.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

Nope. Weaver for 2-3 years was close. 

Dude's a franchise changer.

Its not just a need... 

Literally the stars are aligned. We have a need, the money, the time is right, etc.

The money is scary, but like I mentioned before.... it will be the same as hamilton and cj wilson combined... but better spent.

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Frank Tanana early in his career was a stud

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its not just a need... 

Literally the stars are aligned. We have a need, the money, the time is right, etc.

The money is scary, but like I mentioned before.... it will be the same as hamilton and cj wilson combined... but better spent.

And honestly, even if the contract offers get ridiculous, Arte can afford it. I understand he's a smart businessman and he obviously needs to know when to say "No" but is he going to get outbid for Cole, especially by the likes of NY or The Dodgers? Fuck no. 

It will come down to if Cole truly wants to sign here. I don't believe money will be an issue. Arte will pay him.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

And honestly, even if the contract offers get ridiculous, Arte can afford it. I understand he's a smart businessman and he obviously needs to know when to say "No" but is he going to get outbid for Cole, especially by the likes of NY or The Dodgers? Fuck no. 

It will come down to if Cole truly wants to sign here. I don't believe money will be an issue. Arte will pay him.

Agreed.

And to those who doubt, based on recent history regarding signings, I think its important to remember timelines. It didnt make sense to splurge when everything sucked. Now, yeah, our SP staff sucks.... but 2 adds change it completely.

You fix that, with how the lineup looks, and Adell ready to debut...

Its time, Arte.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Agreed.

And to those who doubt, based on recent history regarding signings, I think its important to remember timelines. It didnt make sense to splurge when everything sucked. Now, yeah, our SP staff sucks.... but 2 adds change it completely.

You fix that, with how the lineup looks, and Adell ready to debut...

Its time, Arte.

And he can backload the contract. Pujols is off the books in 2 years. Upton in 3. That's $58 million off the books by 2023. So they can look at the next 3 years as going "all-in". 

Just fuckin do it Arturo.

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, but thats back when people still wore ties and carried umbrellas to go to the market for spam. 

Sorry, Im drinking and wanted to make a period piece joke.

Tanana in his day would have drank Lackey and Napoli under the table then would have gone out and pitched 8 shutout innings. 

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

And he can backload the contract. Pujols is off the books in 2 years. Upton in 3. That's $58 million off the books by 2023. So they can look at the next 3 years as going "all-in". 

Just fuckin do it Arturo.

I try to ignore the Pujols money coming off because of the trout contract.

That said, its a combo of hamiltons money (which we could say goes to upton), pujols, other bits and pieces, and the fact that we have the media deal, and the team makes money.

Like you said, we can afford it.

And the simplest truth is the team will make more when we win than lose. Ticket sales are one thing. Beer sales, parking, espn money for sunday games etc are a bigger boost than most think.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Tanana in his day would have drank Lackey and Napoli under the table then would have gone out and pitched 8 shutout innings. 

But he also had the benefit of thinking he was going to die when the Soviets parachuted into the Rose Bowl.

With no tomorrow, everyday is a cheat day diet wise.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

I try to ignore the Pujols money coming off because of the trout contract.

That said, its a combo of hamiltons money (which we could say goes to upton), pujols, other bits and pieces, and the fact that we have the media deal, and the team makes money.

Like you said, we can afford it.

And the simplest truth is the team will make more when we win than lose. Ticket sales are one thing. Beer sales, parking, espn money for sunday games etc are a bigger boost than most think.

Well, Trout is already making the most he will ever make. In 2021 it drops by about a million.

Also, this is starting to get into "makes too much sense" territory so I'm scared. 

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Well, Trout is already making the most he will ever make. In 2021 it drops by about a million.

Also, this is starting to get into "makes too much sense" territory so I'm scared. 

Its like hes already wearing an Angels hat, and in the 11th hour, some random weirdo team like the Twins will sign him.