• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Danny Salazar

So beyond the fact that the Indians would be selling low rather than keeping him on the roster to see if he recovers value, the Angels probably shouldn't be expending trade assets and spending $4.5M on a player that may be damaged goods right now.

In the past I was a Salazar advocate and would love to see him get back into form but now is not the right time to buy him with the payroll in the shape it is in, especially when we are about to try and sign Gerrit Cole. The available space after that will be limited barring aggressive spending by Moreno.

24 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

"Meh", I mean he is the kind of guy Eppler pitches a tent over, but I'll pass, like Chuck said, dude can barely hit 90, he is an injury risk, and there's nothing particularly impressive with his stuff.

If he can’t throw 90 then he certainly isn’t the type of guy Eppler “pitches a tent over”. 

Just now, wopphil said:

I am not sure we have roster spots for reclamation projects, and we shouldn't be relying on anyone's return to health.

We can say this all we want Phil but if we need a 3rd or 4th starter they aren’t all going to be gems.  One is going to have to be a bounce back candidate.  I mean I guess we could get 4 decent arms but not one of them will be great.  We could go with Miley, Keuchel, Gibson and Hamels.  We probably have the budget for that.  

55 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We can say this all we want Phil but if we need a 3rd or 4th starter they aren’t all going to be gems.  One is going to have to be a bounce back candidate.  I mean I guess we could get 4 decent arms but not one of them will be great.  We could go with Miley, Keuchel, Gibson and Hamels.  We probably have the budget for that.  

We need three reliable arms from outside the organization. Guys who are healthy today, and have a history of health. Even a guy like Rick Porcello would be a far better choice than a guy like Salazar. 

If a Danny Salazar is being counted on to take a rotation spot, it will have been an unsuccessful season. If, instead, we are taking a flyer on him (assuming we have a roster spot to do so), then by all means go for it.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

We need three reliable arms from outside the organization. Guys who are healthy today, and have a history of health. Even a guy like Rick Porcello would be a far better choice than a guy like Salazar. 

If a Danny Salazar is being counted on to take a rotation spot, it will have been an unsuccessful season. If, instead, we are taking a flyer on him (assuming we have a roster spot to do so), then by all means go for it.

we're just not gonna add three reliable arms from outside the org.  Eppler has already said as much that he's targeting two.  That third guy, if there is one, is likely to be a project or a leftover at a minimum of cost.  

there's gonna have to be internal improvement if this team has a chance.  Ohtani, Canning, Heaney are gonna have to step up and guys like Sandoval, Suarez and Barria are gonna have to contribute.  Maybe not all of them.   But most of them.  

17 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

This.

If we plan on competing this season it needs to be 3.

the scenario where we add a third arm is likely one where we don't add any of the best FA pitchers.  One where we end up with Hamels and Gibson so Eppler makes a trade to get like a Gray or Boyd and has to give up Sandoval or Suarez to do so.  

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the scenario where we add a third arm is likely one where we don't add any of the best FA pitchers.  One where we end up with Hamels and Gibson so Eppler makes a trade to get like a Gray or Boyd and has to give up Sandoval or Suarez to do so.  

Why do you think that? Let’s say we sign Cole and Wheeler or Ryu

2020: Cole 25 mill  / Wheeler or Ryu 17 mill

Now he can still swing a trade for Gray or even Quintana at 10.5 this season. 

At the end of the day his job is on the line. If Billy ends up with two then I believe he’s digging his own grave. To be clear I say three because I’ve basically written Heaney off. Sure when we’re typing out our depth charts/rotations it’s easy to plug his name in but the reality is he can’t stay healthy. He is who he is at this point and Eppler needs to plan for it. 

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Why do you think that? Let’s say we sign Cole and Wheeler or Ryu

2020: Cole 25 mill  / Wheeler or Ryu 17 mill

Now he can still swing a trade for Gray or even Quintana at 10.5 this season. 

At the end of the day his job is on the line. If Billy ends up with two then I believe he’s digging his own grave. To be clear I say three because I’ve basically written Heaney off. Sure when we’re typing out our depth charts/rotations it’s easy to plug his name in but the reality is he can’t stay healthy. He is who he is at this point and Eppler needs to plan for it. 

maybe that's the difference then because I seriously doubt Eppler has written Heaney off and plans to get a third starter in case he's injured.  

they are very much counting on him to be the guy he was in 2018.  

I also don't think they're gonna add 52m in payroll.  

finally, if they were going to spend that much, I'd rather have a good catcher than a guy like Quintana