• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Signing 2 FA Pitchers and its affect on the Draft

Stradling

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Rich Hill love stems from his cost and performance. He posted a 2.45 ERA with 11 k/9. Those are elite numbers, and he'd likely only cost 5 million on a one year contract.

And you're right, chances are he's only got 100 innings in him. But that figures to be 2/3 of the amount Shohei Ohtani will throw, while also receiving at least mid rotation starter performance. And it gives the Angels a few more months to assess the aliments Barria, Sandoval and Suarez make in order to determine who is and isn't ready for a promotion, and it provides the Angels with depth, and Hill could be used in long relief come playoffs. 

It just seems like a ton of potential payoff for a minimal investment.

You highlighted the issue right there. We need guys who can go deep into games and give us innings. Having two guys in the rotation essentially starting the season with an expectation they won't be pitching much more than 100 innings is not really a good thing. Between Ohtani and Hill, we'd have two guys creating a gap of a full seasons worth of innings. And that's not including the inevitable injuries. 

I don't want Suarez pitching 60+ innings next year. Or Barria.

Yeah, Hill is good for what he is, but come on.

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You highlighted the issue right there. We need guys who can go deep into games and give us innings. Having two guys in the rotation essentially starting the season with an expectation they won't be pitching much more than 100 innings is not really a good thing. Between Ohtani and Hill, we'd have two guys creating a gap of a full seasons worth of innings. And that's not including the inevitable injuries. 

I don't want Suarez pitching 60+ innings next year. Or Barria.

Yeah, Hill is good for what he is, but come on.

Agreed, but I do think some of that can be bridged by including an additional RP in the bullpen. I'm fully cognizant that Hill could go 100, and Ohtani 150 innings, or 5 innings a night. But if Felix Pena is in the bullpen like most of us anticipate, that's an additional arm that can bridge a couple innings easily. Or the Angels could rotate Sandoval, Suarez and Barria in that long relief role. It protects them from overly relying on the kids while also providing an opportunity to see major league hitters and a safer proving ground. 

You never know, Suarez may ability flourish in the relief role before doing the starter thing. CJ Wilson and Hector Santiago were both lefties with similar stuff as Suarez that had success as relievers early in their careers.

Btw, the Angels will be able to have one more pitcher than everyone else because Ohtani will be a 2-way player. 

They can have 4 starters and 9 relievers plus Ohtani. Of course, they probably need to bring up a 5th starter from AAA once in a while but he’d just swap out for one of the relievers. 

37 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Btw, the Angels will be able to have one more pitcher than everyone else because Ohtani will be a 2-way player. 

They can have 4 starters and 9 relievers plus Ohtani. Of course, they probably need to bring up a 5th starter from AAA once in a while but he’d just swap out for one of the relievers. 

So if they can get away with 4 starters plus Ohtani, and two of those are acquired via free agency or trade and the other two are Heaney and Canning, does this likely mean we will see Felix Pena shift back into a relief role?

I suppose that could definitely deepen the bullpen, as Pena can go multiple innings.

I wonder how committed the team is to Andrew Heaney being in the rotation. It seems like he will spend considerable time in the IL because of chronic issues. I wonder if  he'd have to any value in a trade and the Angels sign ba 3rd starter.

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If Angels try a 5 man rotation would Ohtani still be a Sunday starter? Or will it just be whenever it's his turn?

I think the plan is once a week. Doesn’t have to be Sunday (although that’s the most logical since there’s always a game and there are often days off after.) But Friday would work too. Or even Tuesday. 

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think the plan is once a week. Doesn’t have to be Sunday (although that’s the most logical since there’s always a game and there are often days off after.) But Friday would work too. Or even Tuesday. 

And that still applies if they go with a 5 man? So 5-man and a fill in option here and there?

34 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes

Probably around 13-15 starts. Some other fill ins here and there for the 6th guy.

That gives Ohtani 25-26 starts, and the other 4 will be around 31 each. Maybe you slot in Cole and Wheeler/Bumgarner/Sale every 5 days and push them to 32 or 33. Giving Heaney and Canning closer to 27-28.

That's assuming no pitcher is out for more than a week or two. Which would be a miracle.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would think either Sunday or Wednesday. Lot of off days on a Thursday, iirc. 

Edit: Just looked it up. About an even amount of off days on Monday and Thursday with a couple Wednesday’s. 

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

Probably around 13-15 starts. Some other fill ins here and there for the 6th guy.

That gives Ohtani 25-26 starts, and the other 4 will be around 31 each. Maybe you slot in Cole and Wheeler/Bumgarner/Sale every 5 days and push them to 32 or 33. Giving Heaney and Canning closer to 27-28.

That's assuming no pitcher is out for more than a week or two. Which would be a miracle.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

FTFY

Actually in 2011, they didn’t have many injuries three pitchers pitched more than 30 starts and two others pitched 25 ish. Best staff the Angels had under Scioscia