• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top 50 MLB prospects 2020 : CBS Sports

Brandon Marsh 2.jpg

Top 50 MLB prospects 2020: Ranking Wander Franco, Jo Adell and the rest of baseball's best young players

2. Jo Adell, OF, Angels

There's a case to be made that Jo Adell is the best non-teenage prospect in baseball. That case begins with the fact that Adell is a fantastic athlete. Here, watch him do some plyometrics then check back. Done? Good. Adell can hit the ectoplasm out of the baseball just as well as he can ghost around the basepaths or in the outfield. He might finish his development with four tools that project as plus or better -- that isn't a common profile. Talking about only the pluses with top prospects can get boring, but there are few minuses to nitpick with Adell. The main one is that he's prone to swinging and missing. He struck out in roughly a third of his plate appearances in Triple-A over a 27-game stretch. But it's worth noting that he fanned a lot during his initial exposure to Double-A, only to return this year and hit .308/.390/.553 in 182 plate appearances -- with, it should be known, a greatly reduced K rate. If you want a second negative about Adell it's that he's yet to appear in 100 games in a season. (He finished with 99 in 2018.) A third? Uh ... he might never be on your favorite team. Otherwise, Adell is a very good prospect. You're going to like watching him play baseball. You should get the chance to do sometime in 2020.

36. Brandon Marsh, OF, Angels

Although Brandon Marsh may lack Adell's upside, he's a high-quality prospect himself -- one who could well reach the majors in the 2020 season, perhaps alongside Adell. Marsh missed most of June due to injury, but still appeared in 96 Double-A games this season. He hit .300/.383/.428 and delivered seven home runs and 18 steals (on 23 tries). You probably get the gist from those numbers that he can contribute across the board. He can also run, field, and throw, and he might learn to better leverage his raw power in the coming years, too. At minimum, Marsh should develop into a most-days starter in either corner.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/top-50-mlb-prospects-2020-ranking-wander-franco-jo-adell-and-the-rest-of-baseballs-best-young-talent/

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This was posted in the prospects thread earlier, but I wonder if Marsh is going to crack the rest of the big sports outlets prospects lists like BA, BP, ESPN (Keith Law), Fangraphs, MLB.com, etc.

he's at a different level now regardless of where he's ranked.  Even if some pundit doesn't recognize.  Power is the only thing left.  

If any of the people that make the rankings saw Marsh play in the AFL they will have to put him high on the boards, he crushed it. 

Consider this, Marsh led the entire Solar Sox team in OPS. Of players with 75 at bats or more he ranked 6th in the AFL for OPS.

Adell in the AFL .273/.351/.444/.796

Marsh in the AFL .328/.387/.522/.909

This is tremendous. If the Angels have two Top 50 OF prospects on top of having Trout - on top of having Goodwin and Upton under control for multiple years - they have either insane depth or one hell of a trade chip. 

It's interesting to think about what Brian Goodwin's long-term 2020 role will be if he continues to play really well. I think we all agree he'll get the Opening Day nod and first dibs at holding down RF - but how long do they keep him there before either Adell or Marsh force an audition? Obviously, it will be performance-based for all three, but the more the Angels give Goodwin a look - and the longer he produces at a rate similar to last year - he boosts his value while the youngsters likely boost their value eating up PCL pitching. The longer a leash Goodwin has, provided he plays well, the more valuable he becomes to the Angels and in trade talks. There's a balance to walk there. 

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

This is tremendous. If the Angels have two Top 50 OF prospects on top of having Trout - on top of having Goodwin and Upton under control for multiple years - they have either insane depth or one hell of a trade chip. 

It's interesting to think about what Brian Goodwin's long-term 2020 role will be if he continues to play really well. I think we all agree he'll get the Opening Day nod and first dibs at holding down RF - but how long do they keep him there before either Adell or Marsh force an audition? Obviously, it will be performance-based for all three, but the more the Angels give Goodwin a look - and the longer he produces at a rate similar to last year - he boosts his value while the youngsters likely boost their value eating up PCL pitching. The longer a leash Goodwin has, provided he plays well, the more valuable he becomes to the Angels and in trade talks. There's a balance to walk there. 

It's ironic. Goodwin used to be that top prospect. And then he got displaced by other top prospects, which led him here, where he will eventually get displaced by another top prospect. 

The best thing that can happen is that Goodwin continues to improve (as do Adell, Marsh and Hermosillo) and he makes himself into quite the trade chip, while Hermosillo takes over as the 4th outfielder.

Hermosillo is one of those guys that missed his train. There is no reason for the Angels to displace Goodwin with him at this point while Adell and Marsh both exceed his abilities. So for his career sake he really needs to be traded, there just isn't a scenario where he can crack the roster unless it's just occasional call ups for a ten day IL player.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If Hermosillo can learn to hit .250, he'll be a more useful 4th outfielder than Goodwin. 

I think that's gonna be a tall task for him considering he has hit only .260 in the friendly confines of the PCL.  

but he's crushed lefties pretty much his entire minor league career.  He could carve out a platoon role at some point.  Not likely with the halos, but maybe with another team.   

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think that's gonna be a tall task for him considering he has hit only .260 in the friendly confines of the PCL.  

but he's crushed lefties pretty much his entire minor league career.  He could carve out a platoon role at some point.  Not likely with the halos, but maybe with another team.   

That's probably true. I just think he has the potential to be a really good 4th outfielder, able to play all three well, while Goodwin's value is more as a fill-in/platoon corner outfielder, ,but with limited defensive skills.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's probably true. I just think he has the potential to be a really good 4th outfielder, able to play all three well, while Goodwin's value is more as a fill-in/platoon corner outfielder, ,but with limited defensive skills.

agree.  Goodwin actually plays good RF defense and solid in CF.  He just sucked in LF.  Herm has the defense but lacks the bat.  

the thing about Herm is that he's gonna have to figure out how to hit off the bench or once in awhile.  He's still getting his sea legs at the major league level and he's just not super talented as a hitter.  Hopefully he can find his way and be serviceable.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

agree.  Goodwin actually plays good RF defense and solid in CF.  He just sucked in LF.  Herm has the defense but lacks the bat.  

the thing about Herm is that he's gonna have to figure out how to hit off the bench or once in awhile.  He's still getting his sea legs at the major league level and he's just not super talented as a hitter.  Hopefully he can find his way and be serviceable.  

His ideal situation would be if the Angels traded him to a team that was willing to give him several hundred at bats, give a chance to adjust. He has a bit of trade value. It will be hard for him to find a place as more than a 5th outfielder (mostly in AAA), unless he can do as you say - which is a tall order for a player trying to adjust to the majors. But I'll think he'll eventually catch on and have a bit of a career, either as a 2-3 WAR starter on a lesser team (best-case), or a valued journeyman 4th outfielder/platoon player. I like him.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

His ideal situation would be if the Angels traded him to a team that was willing to give him several hundred at bats, give a chance to adjust. He has a bit of trade value. It will be hard for him to find a place as more than a 5th outfielder (mostly in AAA), unless he can do as you say - which is a tall order for a player trying to adjust to the majors. But I'll think he'll eventually catch on and have a bit of a career, either as a 2-3 WAR starter on a lesser team (best-case), or a valued journeyman 4th outfielder/platoon player. I like him.

there were some terrible teams with some awful CF performances.  Marlins, Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Reds, Mariners.  

Hermosillo keeps reminding me of Collin Cowgill, at least in terms of career trajectory. Overall, not very good, but he can do the things you need a 4th OF to do, and he might have a season or two where he is quietly strong performer like Cowgill’s 14. Different players, but Shuck and Willits each had similar career trajectories where they were still incredibly valuable in a single season.  

I'd like the Angels to try Taylor Ward in CF and RF this spring to see if he can expand his versatility. 

Ward has some wheels and a canon for an arm, can steal a base, hit a HR and get on base. 

If he can play all 3 OF positions in addition to 1B, 3B and even C in a pinch, that's a valuable guy to have on your bench. I'm not sure what more he can prove in AAA with the bat, though the offense does need to start showing in the big leagues. 

43 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hermosillo keeps reminding me of Collin Cowgill, at least in terms of career trajectory. Overall, not very good, but he can do the things you need a 4th OF to do, and he might have a season or two where he is quietly strong performer like Cowgill’s 14. Different players, but Shuck and Willits each had similar career trajectories where they were still incredibly valuable in a single season.  

For some reason, Hermosillo reminds me a bit of Mike Cameron - but a poor man's version. Cameron could do a bit of everything, but nothing really well - except as a fielder. He had some power, speed, walks, great defender, but poor contact. At his best he was a 5+ WAR player, mostly due to his great defense.

Where Cameron in a peak year hit something like .265/.350/.450 with 25 HR, 30 SB, a 110 wRC+ and 5 WAR, I could see Hermosillo eventually hitting .250/.330/.420 with 18 HR, 25 SB, 100 wRC+ and 3 WAR. But he needs time to develop into that.

Edited by Angelsjunky

47 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd like the Angels to try Taylor Ward in CF and RF this spring to see if he can expand his versatility. 

Ward has some wheels and a canon for an arm, can steal a base, hit a HR and get on base. 

If he can play all 3 OF positions in addition to 1B, 3B and even C in a pinch, that's a valuable guy to have on your bench. I'm not sure what more he can prove in AAA with the bat, though the offense does need to start showing in the big leagues. 

People need to give up on Ward.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

For some reason, Hermosillo reminds me a bit of Mike Cameron - but a poor man's version. Cameron could do a bit of everything, but nothing really well - except as a fielder. He had some power, speed, walks, great defender, but poor contact. At his best he was a 5+ WAR player, mostly due to his great defense.

Where Cameron in a peak year hit something like .265/.350/.450 with 25 HR, 30 SB, a 110 wRC+ and 5 WAR, I could see Hermosillo eventually hitting .250/.330/.420 with 18 HR, 25 SB, 100 wRC+ and 3 WAR. But he needs time to develop into that.

Cameron has like a 50 lifetime WAR.  So if Hermosillo is a poor man’s version and ends up being 2/3’s the player Cameron was then he will have a better career (according to WAR) then GA.  Basically in your scenario Cameron is vastly underrated or Hermosillo is going to have a helluva career.