Troll Daddy

Expect a big trade soon

If we were to be offered the Chris Sale of 2 seasons ago, I would be very interested.  But after last year, adding in the salary commitments, the Red Sox would have to eat a lot of salary to interest me.  

Maybe if we completely fan on Cole, Wheeler, Strasburg, Bumgarner, and Ryu.

Is there an issue going after Sale and Cole?

Like I realize Sale will cost $$$$. And Cole will cost $$$$. If the Sox took back Cozart in the deal for 2020...Then the $ for 2020 would be roughly a $17.5 M additional salary. They may also be interested in cost controllable pitching like Andrew Heaney or Cam Bedrosian, pitchers who cost more than the minimum. Sale is $30 M for three years, and 27.5 for the final two.

Lets assume Cole costs $34 M over 7 years, at $238 M. Say that he gets a $28M signing bonus, payable 14M in 2020 and 2021. Then he'd have a $30M annual salary and a $34M AAV. Sale's AAV is $25.6. So yes, you'd be adding nearly $60M in AAV to the AAV salary. But they have the room under the Luxury Tax Line by unloading Cozart and maybe Cam.

They may even have room to still add a catcher, and add some other stuff on the edges.

36 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Every single trade proposal that includes Zack Cozart is just plain funny to me. I understand the context of each proposal, but they're all, still very funny to me.

If Hector Olivera can be traded, anyone can be traded.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Is there an issue going after Sale and Cole?

Like I realize Sale will cost $$$$. And Cole will cost $$$$. If the Sox took back Cozart in the deal for 2020...Then the $ for 2020 would be roughly a $17.5 M additional salary. They may also be interested in cost controllable pitching like Andrew Heaney or Cam Bedrosian, pitchers who cost more than the minimum. Sale is $30 M for three years, and 27.5 for the final two.

Lets assume Cole costs $34 M over 7 years, at $238 M. Say that he gets a $28M signing bonus, payable 14M in 2020 and 2021. Then he'd have a $30M annual salary and a $34M AAV. Sale's AAV is $25.6. So yes, you'd be adding nearly $60M in AAV to the AAV salary. But they have the room under the Luxury Tax Line by unloading Cozart and maybe Cam.

They may even have room to still add a catcher, and add some other stuff on the edges.

If the Sox would be willing to entertain taking on Cozarts dead money in exchange for Sale I'd view that as an indication they believe his elbow is shot.  I say that because the dude pitched a lot better than his ERA last year, the only real question is whether or not he's a pitch away from a future TJ surgery.  Sale elected to go with a PRP injection so.... He's not fully broken but he's not 100% either.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

If the Sox would be willing to entertain taking on Cozarts dead money in exchange for Sale I'd view that as an indication they believe his elbow is shot.  I say that because the dude pitched a lot better than his ERA last year, the only real question is whether or not he's a pitch away from a future TJ surgery.  Sale elected to go with a PRP injection so.... He's not fully broken but he's not 100% either.

Andddd, we've seen just how infrequently PRP injections have truly worked.

17 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Andddd, we've seen just how infrequently PRP injections have truly worked.

They *do* work - but  they take a long time, 6 months to a year for full healing.

Giving a guy a prp shot, then putting him back on the mound in a month doesn't work - it's basically a month's rest.  There'll be a bit of healing, but the underlying issue, the reason for the injury in the first place?  Probably still there.

He's showing all the signs of a TJ surgery in the near future.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Hot Take! I'm thinking we're about to see a ton of free agents sign really soon.... Like at the Winter Meetings. 

Winter Meetings are especially good for trades 😃