Ron Mexico

If True we have to walk away

Gonna be interesting to see if a team goes more years to bring down the AAV or takes the per annum hit.   I know people would question the intelligence of a longer deal to a pitcher but there may be teams out there that would prefer extending it out further just to give them a little more wiggle room on a year to year basis.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Gonna be interesting to see if a team goes more years to bring down the AAV or takes the per annum hit.   I know people would question the intelligence of a longer deal to a pitcher but there may be teams out there that would prefer extending it out further just to give them a little more wiggle room on a year to year basis.

Angels love to do that so...

this is good news actually.  whenever Boras throws out a target number he's always over by about 20-30% high.  Boras threw out 400m for Harper and it took forever to get him 330 where he had to take a lower aav to get it.  

take 20% off of that 300m and you're at 240m.  

It's really the total number that truly matters to him so who care if the Angels pay that over 7, 8, or even 9 years?  

I can live with 8/240 at this point.  

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Angels love to do that so...

So does Boras...  He likes setting records.  Longest contract, biggest contract...  Those are the sorts of things he pitches to future clients.   Look at Harper's deal last year...   Dude went long just to get the record

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So does Boras...  He likes setting records.  Longest contract, biggest contract...  Those are the sorts of things he pitches to future clients.   Look at Harper's deal last year...   Dude went long just to get the record

If players were more open to club options then I'd do it in a heart beat. Obviously Cole will probably get a few player options but contracts like that should require a club option as well to limit liability if Cole takes a dump by age 34. That's the one things that pisses me off about these major contracts these days. 

I've largely said the same thing, BUT... there is a caveat.   You walk away IF and only if it prevents you from doing the other things you need to do.  If he become so expensive that we cant sign the other things we need, then sure, you walk away.  If however we still have the means to pay him 30+, and still sign Wheeler and more, which i think most of us here believe we do, then it is what it is, you do what you have to do.

Add to that the thought that we better get it right cause we wont be players in FA till the post Pujols/Upton era at that point so pretty much anything in the next few years of substance we wont be in on. 

I believe this club can easily approach to luxury tax barrier financially, even blow past it for a couple years as needed if it wanted to, but thats the real question, are they willing to.  I guess well find out shortly. 

10 hours ago, wopphil said:

I don't think a $300 mil ask is insane. His value is indisputably at least $32-34 mil per year. It isnt a stretch to seek $35+, and to seek 9 or 10 years. In fact, doing the math, I'd be shocked if the starting ask isnt closer to $350+.

His "worth" might be $32-34, but that was last season.

Does anyone think he'll be worth $32m in year 10?  Of course not, he'll be worth "zero".

I'd happily sign him to a "10-year contract" for $350m - 1 year, plus 9 club option years for $35m/year.

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

I don’t think there’s one baseball fan that doesn’t hope that.

Nah, not me. AIDS isn't fast enough.

I want Boras to get Ebola.

From Rotoworld:

• Andy Martino of SNY reports that Gerrit Cole isn't expected to sign with a club until at least January.

Cole is considered one of the "big three" free agents of the 2020 class along with Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon. While Martino hears that Cole is unlikely to sign until the beginning of the new year at the earliest, he does report that both Strasburg and Rendon could move quicker than anticipated. As you likely recall, we had to wait until spring training for the biggest names of last year's class -- Bryce Harper and Manny Machado -- before they picked their new teams. It appears we won't have to wait that long for Cole, Strasburg and Rendon, but we won't know Cole's new team for a bit.

SOURCE: SNY
    Nov 12, 2019, 12:01 PM ET

•  

So far I’ve read the Yanks will pursue but won’t get into a bidding war. Just as I predicted. They’ll keep it fairly low so if he’s dying to be a Yankee they’re golden, but when he doesn’t they can pretend they tried. 

The Dodgers aren’t interested in a long term deal for a pitcher. 

The Phillies will pursue but don’t expect to sign him unless Cole ends up in an Arrieta situation - I.e. He's getting lowballed and they swoop in with just enough to sign him.

The Pads don’t expect to seriously contend for Strasburg and are looking at the trade market instead. IOW, they’re out on Cole. 

Yeah, we’re in good shape. It just might take a while.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

I am going to love reading this board if the Angels strike out on the big names.

i may not step foot the office for a month if that happens 

Just now, Lou said:

i may not step foot the office for a month if that happens 

Not buying that.  You'll be agreeing with people left and right.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

I am going to love reading this board if the Angels strike out on the big names.

Of course you will. You and the others can do some awkward high five.