Ron Mexico

If True we have to walk away

This is the way the game is played. There’s no need to get our feathers ruffled. Obviously, Gerrit is a fan of Boras and looking forward to getting a $300M deal if it gets there ... there will be no hometown discounts. The hat talks! 

CE12F72E-DBB4-4F9E-80FF-75AF427FEA57.jpeg

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

This is the way the game is played. There’s no need to get our feathers ruffled. Obviously, Gerrit is a fan of Boras and looking forward to getting a $300M deal if it gets there ... there will be no hometown discounts. The hat talks! 

CE12F72E-DBB4-4F9E-80FF-75AF427FEA57.jpeg

he was wearing a hat!

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

I don't think a $300 mil ask is insane. His value is indisputably at least $32-34 mil per year. It isnt a stretch to seek $35+, and to seek 9 or 10 years. In fact, doing the math, I'd be shocked if the starting ask isnt closer to $350+.

Yeah, it is an insane ask.

Name me the last time a pitcher signed a significant contract for more than 7 years. Seriously. I'll wait. 

If Cole can get a team to pay him power to him. I still think he'll settle around 7 years $245M but if the price does raise to $300 the Angels have to tap out. There are still good options on the market if Cole starts getting too expensive. 

If I were Cole I’d see if the team I want to play for is interested.  Then I’d meet face to face with that GM/owner/whoever.  I’d tell them to make their best offer within the next 48 hours.  If it’s in the ballpark of what I want, I’d sign.  I’d give the team I want to play for sole negotiating rights for that 48 hours.  I’d make it clear to that team that this is their only time and after that I’d go on to my second choice.  I’d have it wrapped up before December 1st.  
Now I’d only do this if I was Cole or Strasburg or Rendon, one of the premium guys that’s going to get paid generational money.  Might as well play where you want when the money is more than you’ll ever spend in your life. 

8 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

I don't see anyone giving a pitcher an 8 year deal to age 38 for $35M+ per year. 

Age 36 not 38. 

And I agree. It would be 8 years with an AAV of $37.5 M to reach $300 M.

Just now, RBM said:

Age 36 not 38. 

And I agree. It would be 8 years with an AAV of $37.5 M to reach $300 M.

If the Angels give him that then Arte will HAVE to become comfortable with a payroll over $200 million. I believe adding Cole does more than help once every fifth day with the affect he will have on the pen and keeping it rested.  But we need more.  I don’t get caught up in the total dollar value because it’s silly. I care only about the cost year to year. 

11 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I think Winter meetings week is when stuff like this is floated out there. Doesn't mean it's realistic.

Gerrit Cole can ask for whatever he wants but I don't think he will get North of 8/300. I can't see that happening.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Now I’d only do this if I was Cole or Strasburg or Rendon, one of the premium guys that’s going to get paid generational money.

lol - so.... say $100 million isn't generational money?

The day free agency begins is when Angelswin starts doling out the stupid pills.

This approach hasn't really worked and I am wondering why Borass is trying it again?

The most effective bargaining approach for Borass lately has been for his player to either sit out or threaten  to sit out the beginning of the season.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

lol - so.... say $100 million isn't generational money?

The day free agency begins is when Angelswin starts doling out the stupid pills.

The guys that might make $100 million could also make much less if they sign before the very top guys sign.   I was more referring to the guys that we see being in the $30-50 million over 3-4 years.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The peak I could see him getting is 8 years $280 million which is $35 million per year. Usually the longer the contract the less per year. I still think it’ll be 7 and $245

I agree. Those numbers seem on target. I would be open to an 8 yr contract if it gets the deal done.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

This approach hasn't really worked and I am wondering why Borass is trying it again?

The most effective bargaining approach for Borass lately has been for his player to either sit out or threaten  to sit out the beginning of the season.

It didn’t work for Keuchel.  But Harper got his deal.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It didn’t work for Keuchel.  But Harper got his deal.  

Didn't Harper initially turn down a 300 million 10 yr deal to sign his 330 million 13 yr contract?

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Didn't Harper initially turn down a 300 million 10 yr deal to sign his 330 million 13 yr contract?

Yes but he wanted the highest contract ever so he got it.  And really when it’s $300 versus $330 you aren’t really hurting the guys value.  You have no idea if after ten years he will have the health to get $30 million more in contracts when that contract is up.