• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GM Meetings

Stradling

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I actually agree with you, though I'd caution this won't be a pitcher with getting too excited about. Ryu, Wheeler, Odorizzi, maybe even Strasburg will likely have the market held hostage by Cole. They'll wait until Cole signs so that the market will be set. Both the players Union and Scott Boras will feel a duty to set that bar c as high as possible and that happens through months of stalling and negotiations.

So if the Angels do strike early, it's probably going to be more of a Wade Miley type that really aren't worth getting several pages in AW, though undoubtedly they'd get it.

That's why I said Teheran or Hamels. Odorizzi is a maybe. And yeah it will probably be Miley and it's going to suck.

9 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I never said you were suggesting that. Just saying my view on what Eppler needs to do to make this a serious team. I think we are on the same page and can agree Cole alone won't get us anywhere and Cole/Wheeler gets us into the WC game and then eliminate. The Angels need three solid arms for a deep playoff run. We can't rely on Ohtani being that guy since he's coming back from TJ and needs to hit as well.
Eppler needs to put his big boy pants on by signing Cole and Wheeler and then making a significant trade for another solid #2 guy. 

I think you are selling Ohtani short. His is going to be 17 months removed from TJ surgery, he should be throwing his whole arsenal when ST starts, hopefully fewer splitters and more curves. I also think that he has been here long enough to pitch every fifth game and not force the other starters to change their routines. Also, his bat is too vital to only DH 3 times a week. 

The Cole negotiations are going to last into next year so the Angels have to build the rest of the staff first. I agree with the signing of Maldonado.  I see Wheeler’s negotiations lasting into January also. Eppler has to decide to either sign 2 second tier starters or one and wait for Cole or go all out for Cole and risk having a chance to sign other quality starters. Cole is obviously the number one priority but they need more than Cole to be competitive with Houston and Oakland.

12 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

I call bullshit

Brian Cashman mentioned on Monday night, there are no monetary bounds for the Yankees this offseason.

Yeah everyone thinks the Yanks and Dogs are going to sit this one out and they are setup to do exactly the opposite.  Dogs are supposedly even trying to trade Pederson to open up more money.  If you think they arent players on the bog name arms I think youre kidding yourself. 

35 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yeah everyone thinks the Yanks and Dogs are going to sit this one out and they are setup to do exactly the opposite.  Dogs are supposedly even trying to trade Pederson to open up more money.  If you think they arent players on the bog name arms I think youre kidding yourself. 

Players? Yes. They’ll play the game and force others to overpay but they’re not signing anyone with a big price tag. 

The Yankees will walk away from the offseason meetings without Cole or Strasburg. They may kick the tires on Wheeler but they will definitely make one or two solid trades. 

Edited by Calzone 2

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Who said they’re sitting it out? In their minds, offering 5 years and 200 million isn’t sitting it out, even if there’s zero chance he’d accept. 

From Bob Klapisch:

589C779C-D963-4F58-8E26-090355420E8B.jpeg.cfbdbdb026c71921ba6b000b7bf7270c.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I feel like even if the Yanks and Dogs are in on big name guys, they won't be the teams with the highest offers.  They'll be more measured in their approach as opposed to going all out for that big fish.  

True, but IF they decide they want one of them, no one can outbif them.  They have made it clear they are in, how for, well see.
For what its worth it think the Yanks are probably more in on Strasburg than Cole but i do think they sign one marquee pitcher this off season.

I hate the fact that the Angels have put themselves in a seemingly desperate situation. Hiring Maddon at $6M per season is a must win signing imo. 

Although, I’m excited to see how this all turns out over the next three seasons. A WS appearance is the only successful outcome. I would love to see Trouty wearing a WS ring. 

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I hate the fact that the Angels have put themselves in a seemingly desperate situation. Hiring Maddon at $6M per season is a must win signing imo. 

Although, I’m excited to see how this all turns out over the next three seasons. A WS appearance is the only successful outcome. I would love to see Trouty wearing a WS ring. 

I think they gave Maddon $4 million a year. 

8 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

timing is everything right?  

when do you open the window and how do you open it?  Is it with a crow bar?  Could it easily be shut as quickly as it's opened?  Do you have a way to keep it open?  

we're all hoping that Billy get's it right with Arte's help.  

12 hours ago, floplag said:

True, but IF they decide they want one of them, no one can outbif them.  They have made it clear they are in, how for, well see.
For what its worth it think the Yanks are probably more in on Strasburg than Cole but i do think they sign one marquee pitcher this off season.

almost any team can decide that and outbid anyone yet no team has been willing to do so for a long time.  If the yankees or dogs want to do that, then so be it.  And it takes two to tango.  The player has to agree regardless of the amount offered.  I'd be more worried about a team like the white sox making some sort of crazy offer than teams whose payroll is already over 200m.