• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GM Meetings

Stradling

So the GM meetings start tomorrow and while it isn’t as crazy as the Winter Meetings there is a chance to see either a signing or a trade happen this week based on everyone being in the same place.  So who is the biggest name you see either signed or traded for this week at the GM meetings?  

I’ll say the biggest name isn’t really that big of a name, but I will predict that Jackie Bradley Jr will be moved this week.  I also would not be surprised if we get out of the gates fast with a Teheran signing.  Any of you have any predictions for this week?  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So the GM meetings start tomorrow and while it isn’t as crazy as the Winter Meetings there is a chance to see either a signing or a trade happen this week based on everyone being in the same place.  So who is the biggest name you see either signed or traded for this week at the GM meetings?  

I’ll say the biggest name isn’t really that big of a name, but I will predict that Jackie Bradley Jr will be moved this week.  I also would not be surprised if we get out of the gates fast with a Teheran signing.  Any of you have any predictions for this week?  

I'd love to see a quick Teheran signing, but I dont see it happening. He isnt going to both sign quickly and sign for a bargain price. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Except he has a no trade clause and likes being here.  I think the only way he gets traded is if he is having a great year this year and the Angels aren’t having a great year and a playoff bound team wants to add him.  But even then that is highly doubtful.  

We’d have to be doing really bad to be out of it by the new trade deadline. 

I've heard that the GM Meetings are taken about as seriously as a Sunday brunch after a night of drinking. Teams show up, GM's talk a lot, occasionally about baseball. Owners show up and everyone glad hands each other. 

Reporters show up, and they drop a few quotable statements and be everyone goes home happy.

But the GM Meetings really are where they lay there groundwork for a lot of trades.

I think there is a sense of urgency for Eppler to get the ball rolling to justify to people like Cole why they should come here.
It will make much more sense to him i think if were already showing progress as opposed to him being the first move. 

I could easily see us go after Tehran here and i hope hes discussing some possible options at catcher, but i do hope hes looking to make a statement that we are serious. 

21 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think there is a sense of urgency for Eppler to get the ball rolling to justify to people like Cole why they should come here.
It will make much more sense to him i think if were already showing progress as opposed to him being the first move. 

I could easily see us go after Tehran here and i hope hes discussing some possible options at catcher, but i do hope hes looking to make a statement that we are serious. 

Agree to a point. If Eppler is going to make a move to look more tasty to Cole then I'd like to see him make a trade for a good #2 arm. Cole knows the Angels have one of the worst rotations and he alone can't fix it. If he sees Eppler make a significant trade to show Cole that he's about to make a bulky rotation then I think Cole wants it more. If Eppler can trade for #2 caliber guy like a Syndergaard or Clevinger or anyone along those lines then it's a better chance. All Eppler has to do later at the Winter Meetings is tell Cole that he swung the trade and now he wants Cole and one of Wheeler/Bumgarner and we're making a serious run. He's coming off a World Series loss with a sour taste in his mouth and there's no better idea than coming home and having a chance to win it. Also, having the Angels sign Maldonado could help with Cole since Maldonado and Cole were a dominating pair last year. 

I will stick to my narrative that Eppler signs a pitcher very early this off-season. It won't be Cole, but it could be Teheren, or Hamels, or Odorizzi. Hell, maybe he pulls his huge dick out and signs Wheeler (I don't think Wheeler signs early).

Just seems to make sense to go into discussions with Boras and Cole if the Angels have already improved the rotation. If Eppler goes in desperate he may as well pull his pants down and spread his cheeks wide for Boras.

37 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Agree to a point. If Eppler is going to make a move to look more tasty to Cole then I'd like to see him make a trade for a good #2 arm. Cole knows the Angels have one of the worst rotations and he alone can't fix it. If he sees Eppler make a significant trade to show Cole that he's about to make a bulky rotation then I think Cole wants it more. If Eppler can trade for #2 caliber guy like a Syndergaard or Clevinger or anyone along those lines then it's a better chance. All Eppler has to do later at the Winter Meetings is tell Cole that he swung the trade and now he wants Cole and one of Wheeler/Bumgarner and we're making a serious run. He's coming off a World Series loss with a sour taste in his mouth and there's no better idea than coming home and having a chance to win it. Also, having the Angels sign Maldonado could help with Cole since Maldonado and Cole were a dominating pair last year. 

Im not suggest Tehran as the #2 by the way, more of a #3.  IF we get him im still assuming 2 more arms of higher quality.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Im not suggest Tehran as the #2 by the way, more of a #3.  IF we get him im still assuming 2 more arms of higher quality.

I never said you were suggesting that. Just saying my view on what Eppler needs to do to make this a serious team. I think we are on the same page and can agree Cole alone won't get us anywhere and Cole/Wheeler gets us into the WC game and then eliminate. The Angels need three solid arms for a deep playoff run. We can't rely on Ohtani being that guy since he's coming back from TJ and needs to hit as well.
Eppler needs to put his big boy pants on by signing Cole and Wheeler and then making a significant trade for another solid #2 guy. 

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I never said you were suggesting that. Just saying my view on what Eppler needs to do to make this a serious team. I think we are on the same page and can agree Cole alone won't get us anywhere and Cole/Wheeler gets us into the WC game and then eliminate. The Angels need three solid arms for a deep playoff run. We can't rely on Ohtani being that guy since he's coming back from TJ and needs to hit as well.
Eppler needs to put his big boy pants on by signing Cole and Wheeler and then making a significant trade for another solid #2 guy. 

We are, save for the fact that i feel we need to upgrade at C as well to really go deep.  Or upgrade elsewhere such as 3B and use the excess to trade for what will help us in those other spots.

Pitching comes first, that obvious, but hat doesnt negate all other options. 

True, but i'm 100% happy with having Maldonado catch Cole/Ohtani/Wheeler and our trade piece (Thor or someone) while Smith catches Heaney/Canning. If Maldy can call a good game with the aces then i'm satisfied to sacrifice the bat. A healthy Upton/LaStella can help the offense so i'll sacrifice the offensive production from the catcher. Just pretend we're an NL team and Maldy is like a pitcher hitting. 

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

Except he has a no trade clause and likes being here.  I think the only way he gets traded is if he is having a great year this year and the Angels aren’t having a great year and a playoff bound team wants to add him.  But even then that is highly doubtful.  

They may need to accommodate Upton after 2020 though, if both Adell and Marsh are ready to play everyday.    He doesn't seem like a good match for 1B, and he can't DH more than a 1/3 of the time, with Ohtani handling the other 2/3 of the DHing.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I will stick to my narrative that Eppler signs a pitcher very early this off-season. It won't be Cole, but it could be Teheren, or Hamels, or Odorizzi. Hell, maybe he pulls his huge dick out and signs Wheeler (I don't think Wheeler signs early).

Just seems to make sense to go into discussions with Boras and Cole if the Angels have already improved the rotation. If Eppler goes in desperate he may as well pull his pants down and spread his cheeks wide for Boras.

colorful

I agree with this - I think he'll nab someone pretty quick that will, ideally, wind up being our third best arm acquired. Probably someone fairly cheap or short-term commitment. I don't think Odorizzi fits that, and definitely not Wheeler, but I think Teheran or Hamels both make a lot of sense. 

From there, I think he'll start working on signing Cole while having already done something to help the rotation. And then, once Cole presumably signs, he can hit the pause button on the rotation, focus on catcher, focus on bullpen, focus on some depth, and wait out both the trade and FA market for the second-best SP that he might add. Wait until the best value emerges. It will be a gamble, but ultimately it might allow them to get a much better deal on an arm come January or February rather than over-paying now.

I actually agree with you, though I'd caution this won't be a pitcher with getting too excited about. Ryu, Wheeler, Odorizzi, maybe even Strasburg will likely have the market held hostage by Cole. They'll wait until Cole signs so that the market will be set. Both the players Union and Scott Boras will feel a duty to set that bar c as high as possible and that happens through months of stalling and negotiations.

So if the Angels do strike early, it's probably going to be more of a Wade Miley type that really aren't worth getting several pages in AW, though undoubtedly they'd get it.