• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How disappointed will you be if the Angels don't sign Gerrit Cole?

beatlesrule

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I don't figure on it. Not after spending on Hosmer and Machado. They may make an exception for Strasburg.

Why?  They have about $125 million payroll going into next year.  Also you keep telling us how amazing their farm is especially with pitching.  They could look at Cole as the guy to anchor the staff.  I still think it’s going to be the Angels but with a farm like the Pads that will produce some cost control talent it isn’t out of the question. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Why?  They have about $125 million payroll going into next year.  Also you keep telling us how amazing their farm is especially with pitching.  They could look at Cole as the guy to anchor the staff.  I still think it’s going to be the Angels but with a farm like the Pads that will produce some cost control talent it isn’t out of the question. 

I suppose anything is possible. Their GM says they can stretch it for the right player, but right now ownership isn't thrilled with what they've got from Preller's big expenditures. Myers is pretty much a sunk cost on both sides of the ball. Hosmer has been brilliant in the clubhouse as a leader, but on the field, he's a pretty average 1B being paid like an elite player. Machado was great in the clubhouse too, but the ownership and fans both witnessed what he does when his team is out of it. Manny just won't put forth any effort. He lacks internal motivation which is a big problem. And Garrett Richards could not stay healthy even in his rehab stints and is going to cost 18 million for one year, and he absolutely has to be healthy and near dominant for it to even be worthwhile.

I don't think ownership is willing to allow Preller to spend them into any more holes.

And yes, the Padres do have an extremely deep farm, on the mound at least. Paddock and Lucchesi are the number 2-3 starters you can build around. They've got Richards as well which offers upside. Dinelson Lamet has all-star upside as well. Michael Baez is as dominant of a relief prospect as you'll find and Adrian Morejon has electric stuff, just needs a chance. Cal Quantrill has projectable stuff as well. But their biggest two aces in the hole are Makenzie Gore and Luis Patino. Likely the best two pitching prospects in baseball, both in AA. Paddock slipped the upper minors altogether pretty much and it sounds like they won't hesitate to do the same with those two. And on b the way they have Ryan Weathers as well, he'll be ready in two years.

But someday, they may have a rotation of Gore, Paddock, Patino, Weathers, Lamet, Morejon and Lucchesi, and if those guys are as good as everyone else says they are, that team will dominate for a very long time.

But back to the original question, no I don't see them being a major player for Cole.

20 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Instead of pitching every Sunday he should pitch every Wednesday or Friday. The majority of the off days next season will be on Thursday. Scheduling Ohtani to pitch on Friday will give him the day off before his starts. A day off from DH without costing him to miss a game. Hopefully after awhile they will allow him to DH after a start. That way he will only miss hitting on the days he pitches and Thursdays that aren't off days.

There's one more off day on Thursday than there is on Monday.

Edited by ScottT