• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Castellanos?

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That isn't what I suggested though...I suggested signing Cole and a #4-5 guy, someone more along the lines of depth/insurance, and then trading for someone comparable to a Wheeler/Odorizzi/Clevinger/Heaney/etc., and using that Wheeler money for a bat to replace the offense from whomever was dealt. 

Also, why would Cleveland trade Clevinger? If anyone's going, it's Kluber.

The trade candidate stable for a #2-3, or a #4 with upside, is a really broad spectrum. Darvish, Price, Kluber, Boyd, Syndergaard, Gray, Quintana, Hendricks, Stroman, Ray, Minor, Lynn, Newcomb, Archer, Mikolas. Some will cost a lot, some much less. Some will come with big salary commitments, some won't. It's real hard to speculate until we get additional info. 

That's why, until some pieces fall, there will exist the option of trading for a second arm and potentially signing a hitter to replenish what's dealt. It's not an argument for it, it's not an indicator of likeliness, just simply an open door until other pieces make it close or open further.

They picked up their option on Kluber, i think they still want to keep him... although could still trade him but i suspect thats an in season move if anything.  Bauer on the other hand i think they are dying to deal. 

Signing Castellanos would work, only if:

1) They strike out on signing a second really good pitcher to go with Cole, and instead sign an innings eater.

2) Pujols can accept a part-time role (say 80 games), so that Castellanos can play some 140 games between 1B and DH.  

3) They strike out on signing a rock solid catcher, and instead sign someone like Machete for his defense and pitcher handling. 

Addendum on people's thoughts of trading Marsh:  Without him, who's going to supply LHH eventually?    Thaiss and Rengifo are now likely the only LHHs going forward after 2020 (assuming Stella signing elsewhere then).  

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

They picked up their option on Kluber, i think they still want to keep him... although could still trade him but i suspect thats an in season move if anything.  Bauer on the other hand i think they are dying to deal. 

They can absolutely trade him still, to clear up salary. 

And they traded Bauer last summer.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That isn't what I suggested though...I suggested signing Cole and a #4-5 guy, someone more along the lines of depth/insurance, and then trading for someone comparable to a Wheeler/Odorizzi/Clevinger/Heaney/etc., and using that Wheeler money for a bat to replace the offense from whomever was dealt. 

Also, why would Cleveland trade Clevinger? If anyone's going, it's Kluber.

The trade candidate stable for a #2-3, or a #4 with upside, is a really broad spectrum. Darvish, Price, Kluber, Boyd, Syndergaard, Gray, Quintana, Hendricks, Stroman, Ray, Minor, Lynn, Newcomb, Archer, Mikolas. Some will cost a lot, some much less. Some will come with big salary commitments, some won't. It's real hard to speculate until we get additional info. 

That's why, until some pieces fall, there will exist the option of trading for a second arm and potentially signing a hitter to replenish what's dealt. It's not an argument for it, it's not an indicator of likeliness, just simply an open door until other pieces make it close or open further.

The Angels won't have salary room for Cole, Castellanos, #4-#5 guy and then trade for a #2 or #3. 
Cole and Castellanos alone would put us around $190M. You'd have to trade a serious piece on our side to clear room. Upton, Pujols, Cozart, all either have NTC or 0 value. Simmons is the only option, which i'm not against, but then depth takes a hit. LaStella is only making around $2.9M so that's no relief. If Kluber was the option then we'd probably have to give up way to much for them to eat a big chunk of his contract. That goes for the majority of the guys like Darvish, Price, Thor, Hendricks, Stroman, Ray....

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Signing Castellanos would work, only if:

1) They strike out on signing a second really good pitcher to go with Cole, and instead sign an innings eater.

2) Pujols can accept a part-time role (say 80 games), so that Castellanos can play some 140 games between 1B and DH.  

3) They strike out on signing a rock solid catcher, and instead sign someone like Machete for his defense and pitcher handling. 

If Pujols accepts it or not it won't matter. He can't control his playing time.

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

They already traded Bauer

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

The Angels won't have salary room for Cole, Castellanos, #4-#5 guy and then trade for a #2 or #3. 
Cole and Castellanos alone would put us around $190M. You'd have to trade a serious piece on our side to clear room. Upton, Pujols, Cozart, all either have NTC or 0 value. Simmons is the only option, which i'm not against, but then depth takes a hit. LaStella is only making around $2.9M so that's no relief. If Kluber was the option then we'd probably have to give up way to much for them to eat a big chunk of his contract. That goes for the majority of the guys like Darvish, Price, Thor, Hendricks, Stroman, Ray....

The Angels are at ~$145m.

1. Let's say Cole is $35m AAV, Castellanos is $17m AAV - without an restructuring, thats $197m
    • Both are back-loaded - $25m for Cole in '20, $12m for Castellanos in '20, saving $15m in actual 2020 payroll.
    • This puts the Angels at $182m for '20. 

2. They target a #2-#3 SP in a trade built around, but not necessarily requiring, Marsh.
    • Here are a few mid-range targets and their salaries (incl. arb projections) from cheapest to most expensive. 
      • Cal Quantrill, other MLB-ready SP prospects: league-minimum, almost certainly require Marsh, leaves payroll wide open for other needs. 
      • Dinelson Lamet: $2m - very cheap, not proven
      • Jose Urena: $4m - likely more of a #4-#5, but hints of upside.
      • Vince Velasquez: $4m - Philly unlikely to trade given their needs., but could be motivated if a SP prospect was involved and they were signing other FA SPs
      • Clevinger: $4.5m - can't imagine he's actually available 
      • Steven Matz: $5m - Mets likely to hold off
      • Matthew Boyd $6.5m - all things considered, a good target. Which half was fluke, first or second? Aside from a second half stretch of HR allowed, the peripherals suggest good things.
      • Dylan Bundy: $6m - cheapest to acquire, plenty of risk 
      • Mike Minor: $10m - damn good pitcher, will cost a good bit, only one year of control can be good or bad 
      • Noah Syndergaard $10m - doesn't seem to get along with Callaway much 
      • Robbie Ray: $11m - price in prospects and salary is tough for Angels, but talent is clear, extension candidate could bring '20 payroll down
      • Lance Lynn: $11.3m - salary is high, but Texas could be open to taking back minimal salary contributions (see below) as part of return value
      • Jose Quintana: $11.5m - same as above, as Cubs have need at infield, outfield, and bullpen 
      • Kyle Hendricks: $12m - same as above
      • Marcus Stroman $12m - salary is awfully high, probably too much so for the Angels to really consider him
      • Yu Darvish: $22m - it'd blow past Angels budget, but the length of contract opens the door for the Cubs to eat salary or take back Cozart as a way to help the Angels '20 payroll
      • David Price: $32m - Maddon favorite, same concept re: Cozart - no other money involved, Angels payroll would be at $202m after Cole, Castellanos, and Price, less Cozart. Pretty much no room for anything else, but three huge adds.
        • There are varying scenarios where La Stella ($3m), Goodwin ($2m), Heaney ($5m), Bedrosian ($3m) could be worked into a deal as well, if the Halos really need to save a few mil and the other team is interested. 

3. When I say #4 or #5, I'm looking at bottom of the barrel types. The guys like Gio and Miley last year who signed for ~$3m, basically an amount that's negligible against payroll. 
  4. Signing Andrelton Simmons to a contract extension could free up a couple more million. He's slated for $15m. They could renegotiate his deal and back-load it as well, to save a few million. 
  5. Castellanos could presumably make La Stella or Goodwin expendable - they could be dealt for marginal SP help, relief help, a decent vet catcher, or for a less-exciting but still solid prospect to replace whomever is dealt for a #2-3 type arm. 

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

The Angels are at ~$145m.

1. Let's say Cole is $35m AAV, Castellanos is $17m AAV - without an restructuring, thats $197m
    • Both are back-loaded - $25m for Cole in '20, $12m for Castellanos in '20, saving $15m in actual 2020 payroll.
    • This puts the Angels at $182m for '20. 

2. They target a #2-#3 SP in a trade built around, but not necessarily requiring, Marsh.
    • Here are a few mid-range targets and their salaries (incl. arb projections) from cheapest to most expensive. 
      • Cal Quantrill, other MLB-ready SP prospects: league-minimum, almost certainly require Marsh, leaves payroll wide open for other needs. 
      • Dinelson Lamet: $2m - very cheap, not proven
      • Jose Urena: $4m - likely more of a #4-#5, but hints of upside.
      • Vince Velasquez: $4m - Philly unlikely to trade given their needs., but could be motivated if a SP prospect was involved and they were signing other FA SPs
      • Clevinger: $4.5m - can't imagine he's actually available 
      • Steven Matz: $5m - Mets likely to hold off
      • Matthew Boyd $6.5m - all things considered, a good target. Which half was fluke, first or second? Aside from a second half stretch of HR allowed, the peripherals suggest good things.
      • Dylan Bundy: $6m - cheapest to acquire, plenty of risk 
      • Mike Minor: $10m - damn good pitcher, will cost a good bit, only one year of control can be good or bad 
      • Noah Syndergaard $10m - doesn't seem to get along with Callaway much 
      • Robbie Ray: $11m - price in prospects and salary is tough for Angels, but talent is clear, extension candidate could bring '20 payroll down
      • Lance Lynn: $11.3m - salary is high, but Texas could be open to taking back minimal salary contributions (see below) as part of return value
      • Jose Quintana: $11.5m - same as above, as Cubs have need at infield, outfield, and bullpen 
      • Kyle Hendricks: $12m - same as above
      • Marcus Stroman $12m - salary is awfully high, probably too much so for the Angels to really consider him
      • Yu Darvish: $22m - it'd blow past Angels budget, but the length of contract opens the door for the Cubs to eat salary or take back Cozart as a way to help the Angels '20 payroll
      • David Price: $32m - Maddon favorite, same concept re: Cozart - no other money involved, Angels payroll would be at $202m after Cole, Castellanos, and Price, less Cozart. Pretty much no room for anything else, but three huge adds.
        • There are varying scenarios where La Stella ($3m), Goodwin ($2m), Heaney ($5m), Bedrosian ($3m) could be worked into a deal as well, if the Halos really need to save a few mil and the other team is interested. 

3. When I say #4 or #5, I'm looking at bottom of the barrel types. The guys like Gio and Miley last year who signed for ~$3m, basically an amount that's negligible against payroll. 
  4. Signing Andrelton Simmons to a contract extension could free up a couple more million. He's slated for $15m. They could renegotiate his deal and back-load it as well, to save a few million. 
  5. Castellanos could presumably make La Stella or Goodwin expendable - they could be dealt for marginal SP help, relief help, a decent vet catcher, or for a less-exciting but still solid prospect to replace whomever is dealt for a #2-3 type arm. 

The question would be if Eppler and Arte are willing to go this direction. Backloading Castellanos' contract by that much I don't like. I think what the Angels could end up doing is signing Castellanos, Cole then a #5 guy. They will attempt to trade for a #2 guy but will either fall short or they completely overpay for it. 
If it's true that Castellanos is even on the Angels' radar means they have some form of trade plan going on. Or the fact that they worry a lot about LF, 1B, LaStella as well as DH and don't feel comfortable with the current lineup. The only way I'd accept this trade is if it doesn't hurt throwing money at Cole and still pushing for a #2 guy be it via FA or trade. They need a Cole/#2 punch in order to compete in the playoffs. Hopefully Marsh has his value high enough where he can centerpiece.  
If they don't plan on getting a #2 guy after Cole (assuming they sign Cole), then it will be a year where they just miss the playoffs or lose in WC game.

Cubs fans embraced Castellanos, who brought energy to the clubhouse and always hustled out of the box, trying to take an extra base whenever possible. One day at Wrigley, security guards had to politely ask him to stop signing autographs for fans after the game because they had to close the park.

Chicago Tribune