• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Castellanos?

Castellanos being only in his age 28 season in ‘20 is encouraging too. He’s been a damn good hitter the last couple of seasons. 

Not crazy about it, but, Cole, Castellanos, a cheap #5, a trade for a #2-3 built around Thaiss/Marsh, and a cheap vet catcher would be a pretty solid offseason. 

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

I thought of that also and looked it up. Castellanos is with the Boras Corporation. So maybe they are using Aung to get Castellanos' name out there.

this seems like a reasonable explanation of why Castellanos would be connected to the Angels.  

boras has about half of the top 20 free agents so Billy has to be having conversations with him.  

Just now, totdprods said:

Castellanos being only in his age 28 season in ‘20 is encouraging too. He’s been a damn good hitter the last couple of seasons. 

Not crazy about it, but, Cole, Castellanos, a cheap #5, a trade for a #2-3 built around Thaiss/Marsh, and a cheap vet catcher would be a pretty solid offseason. 

i'm just going to keep saying it, if the angels trade adell or marsh, then they're Facking up. these are the two guys who project to have a legit shot as above avg. major league outfielders offensively and defensively. the angels need their 5 years of cost control in order to afford these other pitchers that we are supposedly buying this offseason. their outfield budget looks pretty productive and reasonable when you think adell/trout/walsh at 38 million per year.

If Pujols and Upton weren't here and/or the guy was a much better defensive OFer, then yeah, I could see Castellanos as a viable signing for up to 3-4 years/$50-$65 million.

He did put up an OPS of close to .840 from 2016-2019, never falling below .811 in any season.

But, Pujols and Upton are here, and Castellanos is not very good defensively in the OF.    He is essentially similar to Upton, good hitter and not very good defensively.    Redundancy would exist.

Pass

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

If Pujols and Upton weren't here and/or the guy was a much better defensive OFer, then yeah, I could see Castellanos as a viable signing for up to 3-4 years/$50-$65 million.

He did put up an OPS of close to .840 from 2016-2019, never falling below .811 in any season.

But, Pujols and Upton are here, and Castellanos is not very good defensively in the OF. 

Pass

i like the bat, but nobody can reasonably see how he fits with the lineup or with the budget restrictions.

2 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

I don’t hate this idea. The dude mashes and spent a ton of time in Detroit which is awful for hitters. I’d rather have Moustakes for less $ and years though. 

Detroit is slightly above average for being a hitters park and better for RHers than lefties.  

13 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'm just going to keep saying it, if the angels trade adell or marsh, then they're Facking up. these are the two guys who project to have a legit shot as above avg. major league outfielders offensively and defensively. the angels need their 5 years of cost control in order to afford these other pitchers that we are supposedly buying this offseason. their outfield budget looks pretty productive and reasonable when you think adell/trout/walsh at 38 million per year.

Disagree - smart and successful organizations deal players like Marsh all the time, in order to keep from having to rely on mid-tier FA to plug holes. That isn't an endorsement to trade Marsh, nor is it an indictment if they do. The Angels don't need the six years of cost control to afford FA pitchers if they're using that control to acquire a good/proven, affordable, controlled MLB. That outfield budget looks good, but Gerrit Cole might cost near that same amount for ~32 games a year, with up to 5 more spots to fill behind him still. They just need to keep their options open

You can make an argument that the Angels aren't in a position to deal prospects like Marsh yet, but I also disagree there too - again, not welcoming the idea of trading him. Mike Trout gives us nearly the value of two All Star caliber outfielders in one player. Jo Adell could be the next superstar, potentially here this summer. The Angels can easily get by with the remaining OF covered by whatever Brian Goodwin/Justin Upton/Brennon Lund/Cameron Maybin/JB Shuck/Reggie Willits types if that was what they had to resort to. In fact, from one angle, Brandon Marsh would have to be not just good, but almost absurdly good to actually give the Angels surplus value over what his potential trade value might be, or his value over one of the types of guys named above. 

All told, not really crazy about Castellanos. Like @GoodTimesGoneBad said, I'd rather just have Moustakas for a hell of a lot less commitment, strong offensive output, and the ability to actually play good defense at now up to three infield positions. We need more help there than the outfield.

If Eppler does this, I'm going to be convinced that he is mentally retarded.

Castellanos is a perfectly good hitter, and would certainly improve the offense. But he doesn't move the needle enough over Kole to be worth the absolute disaster he'll be on defense. Do we really want Trout surrounded by Castellanos and Upton? Holy balls. Also, NC put up a 2.7 WAR in 2019. I can guarantee Adell would match that on defense alone. And he won't cost jack shit.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Disagree - smart and successful organizations deal players like Marsh all the time, in order to keep from having to rely on mid-tier FA to plug holes. That isn't an endorsement to trade Marsh, nor is it an indictment if they do. The Angels don't need the six years of cost control to afford FA pitchers if they're using that control to acquire a good/proven, affordable, controlled MLB. That outfield budget looks good, but Gerrit Cole might cost near that same amount for ~32 games a year, with up to 5 more spots to fill behind him still. They just need to keep their options open

You can make an argument that the Angels aren't in a position to deal prospects like Marsh yet, but I also disagree there too - again, not welcoming the idea of trading him. Mike Trout gives us nearly the value of two All Star caliber outfielders in one player. Jo Adell could be the next superstar, potentially here this summer. The Angels can easily get by with the remaining OF covered by whatever Brian Goodwin/Justin Upton/Brennon Lund/Cameron Maybin/JB Shuck/Reggie Willits types if that was what they had to resort to. In fact, from one angle, Brandon Marsh would have to be not just good, but almost absurdly good to actually give the Angels surplus value over what his potential trade value might be, or his value over one of the types of guys named above. 

All told, not really crazy about Castellanos. Like @GoodTimesGoneBad said, I'd rather just have Moustakas for a hell of a lot less commitment, strong offensive output, and the ability to actually play good defense at now up to three infield positions. We need more help there than the outfield.

i'm not going to tear at every point you made because this is all subjective, but we generally disagree across the board, in this regard. if it's a given that the angels are going to spend heavily on FA this winter in an attempt to get good fast, then cheap productive players from within the organization are the only viable way for them to do so without an unlimited budget. they are going to have to spend significantly less at various positions on the roster in order to overspend on others, while being successful on the field. also, if the idea due to budget constraints is to backload these FA dollars, then you need as many of those early low cost club controlled years as adell and marsh would provide.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I don’t see any reason to believe this guy...

That said, Castellanos’ one bit that works in his favor is his “ability” to play RF, LF, 1B, 3B, DH. He could find at-bats at all of those positions here, and give us a bat capable of helping carry the offense if a major hitter at one of those positions goes down. His contract prediction, I think I saw 4/$64m?, isn’t really all that bad either. Not good. But not JD Martinez expensive or anything.

After this year and after next year, he could ease into 1B/DH more full-time too. 

This is true and we all know that Joe Maddon likes to move his guys around the diamond.

5 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

No one knows how much Arte is willing to raise the payroll. If Eppler signs Castellanos I’m going to view it as a good sign for the budget. 

Castellano can hit and get on base. I’m not going to complain about signing someone who can do those things. 

We don’t exactly have a 1B or a RF. I’ve seen enough of Thaiss and well Pujols is 64 years old. 

I mean, kind of, I guess?  He's never had more than 50 BBs in a season and only once had an OBP over .337.   His career OBP is .326.  Last year, the league average OBP in the AL was .323.

I mean, he wouldn't be a bad 1B right?

Let's face it. Pujols playing time is going to dwindle quite a bit over the next two seasons and if Castellanos can play 1B on days Ohtani DH's, then he can DH and Pujols play 1B on the three days in a row that Ohtani will get ready to pitch, pitch and then his day off after pitching. That's a lot of playing time, plus he can play in RF once in a while when we face a lefty to spell Brian Goodwin.

58 doubles, 27 HR and .525 slugging .pct is legit. He also usually hits around the .290 mark as well, so he puts the ball in play and hits the ball hella hard. 

I wonder if the rumor has some merit to it since Maddon loved what he saw from Castellanos while he was with the Cubs down the stretch after they acquired him at the deadline. 

I mean, who gets motivated playing with the Tigers these days and he had absolutely no protection in the lineup in Detroit. Check out his second half stats with the Cubs vs. those with the Tigers.

Annotation 2019-11-07 214645.png