• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Castellanos?

Just now, Sean-Regan said:

If this guy isn’t talking out of his hat, I don’t know what to make of this. Apparently he can play 3B? Is he a disaster there? I just don’t get this interest at all. 

He isn't a 3B anymore. That just didn't work at all. He's an outfielder now, and a really bad one defensively. I'm talking Mark Trumbo level bad in the outfield.

I don't see it. Billy Eppler has always focused on building a solid defensive unit. Replacing Calhoun with Castellanos subtracts from the defense and adds to the offense, but at what cost?

On top of which, does Eppler's front office have ANY leaks in it? This guy plays it extremely close to the vest. If the Angels were in on Castellanos, no one would know about it.

He was terrible defensively at 3B in 2017 and was moved to the OF.  In 2018 he was terrible defensively in the OF and that was one of the things that hurt the Tigers ability to move him early on in 2019.  He got better defensively in 2019 but that's really because he couldn't get much worse.  Guessing this is just speculation with Maddon coming from the Cubs where Castellanos was traded to last year.

I don’t see any reason to believe this guy...

That said, Castellanos’ one bit that works in his favor is his “ability” to play RF, LF, 1B, 3B, DH. He could find at-bats at all of those positions here, and give us a bat capable of helping carry the offense if a major hitter at one of those positions goes down. His contract prediction, I think I saw 4/$64m?, isn’t really all that bad either. Not good. But not JD Martinez expensive or anything.

After this year and after next year, he could ease into 1B/DH more full-time too. 

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He isn't a 3B anymore. That just didn't work at all. He's an outfielder now, and a really bad one defensively. I'm talking Mark Trumbo level bad in the outfield.

I don't see it. Billy Eppler has always focused on building a solid defensive unit. Replacing Calhoun with Castellanos subtracts from the defense and adds to the offense, but at what cost?

On top of which, does Eppler's front office have ANY leaks in it? This guy plays it extremely close to the vest. If the Angels were in on Castellanos, no one would know about it.

Eppler’s office is tight, but what about Castellanos’ side? They’re the ones who’d have reason to leak his market to generate more interest.

I’m skeptical, especially since this dude isn’t exactly a big news breaker. Still, he says he’s an insider, so I suppose it’s possible. The fit just doesn’t seem to be there, though. 

I don't mind if he sticks with 1b/DH. But he's not proven at 1B yet so who knows. He's mainly a hitter and if Eppler plans to have him in the outfield then something crazy is about to happen. Either Marsh is going to be in a trade to get us someone like Clevinger or Upton kicked to only DH or learning 1B (which is never going to happen).

One thing I guarantee is that if they sign Castellanos then there's going to be a major shakeup in the outfield or infield. This would push Eppler to make a significant trade for a solid #2-#3 starter.

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Why the hell would we be in play for Castellanos?  Trout and Upton locked up for a combined $50+ mil with $30 mil for Pujols at 1B/DH and Adell and Marsh knocking at the door...this makes zero sense.

I'm not even buying this one a little bit.

Confirmed Trout traded to Seattle for Jerry Dipoto. Tradeception.

No one knows how much Arte is willing to raise the payroll. If Eppler signs Castellanos I’m going to view it as a good sign for the budget. 

Castellano can hit and get on base. I’m not going to complain about signing someone who can do those things. 

We don’t exactly have a 1B or a RF. I’ve seen enough of Thaiss and well Pujols is 64 years old. 

ok, i'm going to treat this as if it was real. if so, then...

this is coming from maddon.

they're looking at him like he's a future j.d. martinez.

he's a doubles machine with good/decent home run totals already, and they think they can turn a good deal of those doubles into homeruns, which could make him elite.

they are willing to sacrifice defense at one position in order to get an expected MOTO bat at a decent price.

just conjecture, if true.