• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trades, how far are you guys willing to go?

floplag

Preface, this is entirely theoretical, please dont judge this on merit as it likely has none, im just wondering what the general consensus for such things might be in theory.  Just generating some chatter, nothing more.

Im specifically looking at something like catcher here.   Most dont like the FA options for one reason or another and ive long felt our best option to fill that slot long term was more likely thru a trade, than a FA signing. 

So let say for example that SD was willing to discuss Mejia for example.  Feel free to insert others here but lets keep the conversation to the top few for consistency.

So heres the question... what would you do, who would you trade, what would you take on?  Im assuming no one would trade Adell for more or less any other prospect or young player so im not including him here, if youd like to, go ahead.

Would you do something like Marsh for him?  What if it meant taking back Myers money?  Who else would you make a move for?

I think fixing the roster to make the team truly competitive goes even farther beyond trades. It’s going to also require them to send a couple of players packing that have already worn out their useful baseball life. If it’s about winning its really time for the Angels to put their business hats on and do what they need to do moving forward. 

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

I think fixing the roster to make the team truly competitive goes even farther beyond trades. It’s going to also require them to send a couple of players packing that have already worn out their useful baseball life. If it’s about winning its really time for the Angels to put their business hats on and do what they need to do moving forward. 

If you're referring to Pujols and Upton, this is false.

I can guarantee you that Upton will be a top 5 LF as far as productivity in 2020 if he stays on the field, which last year was really his only injury riddled season with us in what was a freak injury a couple days before the season started. 

Pujols like last season played in less games than he ever has while remaining healthy for the entire season. I think we're going to see more of that trend, with the Angels working in Thaiss/Walsh at 1B to spell even more games from Albert in 2020 and 2021. He's good for 20 HR and a good chunk of RBI's. 

There's a solid chance that between a 1B platoon of Pujols, Walsh and Thaiss that between the three they slash .260/.340/.490 with 35 HR and nearly 100 RBI. Same goes for Upton. 

Both of the players you single out in threads are not the problem here.

Starting pitching has been the problem for a long time and needs to be addressed now. If it is, the Angels will be a playoff contender. 

I was thinking about the Myers contract the other day. If we could solve Catcher By acquiring Mejia/Adams and Arte was willing to take on the money for Myers we could potentially fill RF until Adell is ready and 1B short term until we have a legit option there. 

it would save us prospects, if we wanted to look to acquire a starter. Then sign Cole and another free agent starter and we would be looking solid, IMO. 

If you're looking at young catchers for someone like Marsh....  I'd start with Keibert Ruiz of the Dodgers.   Ruiz, is blocked by Will Smith which is a much bigger obstacle for Ruiz than anyone in SD is for Mejia so he might be easier to obtain.   The other thing to consider with SD (and LA to a lesser degree), is the logjam they have in the OF.  SD traded off Reyes, was looking to offload Myers after the Hosmer deal, they are supposedly still looking to maybe move Renfroe.... So a guy like Jordyn Adams, all full of upside and still a few years away might be attractive to those teams.

All that being said, they should be looking to free agency first and do everything they can to keep Marsh.

36 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

One of the SD catchers would be good.

Myers is only 28 and played well late last season. He may be a good option to replace Pujols after 2 years.

I think if we took on Myers' contract we could get multiple SD starting pitching prospects in return. 

6 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I was thinking about the Myers contract the other day. If we could solve Catcher By acquiring Mejia/Adams and Arte was willing to take on the money for Myers we could potentially fill RF until Adell is ready and 1B short term until we have a legit option there. 

it would save us prospects, if we wanted to look to acquire a starter. Then sign Cole and another free agent starter and we would be looking solid, IMO. 

This was kinda my thin king in looking at Mejia specifically.  IF we took on Myers we could solve a few problems and he could actually be serviceable in a few roles.  Might manage to get more than just Mejia but that would depend on what they want from us of course. 
The obvious problem is less money elsewhere and we own it for the next 3 years i believe.  BUT, i think something like that is what it might take to answer some of our questions.   Myers is grossly overpaid no question, but has a lot of flexibility having played both IF corners and all three of spots

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you're looking at young catchers for someone like Marsh....  I'd start with Keibert Ruiz of the Dodgers.   Ruiz, is blocked by Will Smith which is a much bigger obstacle for Ruiz than anyone in SD is for Mejia so he might be easier to obtain.   The other thing to consider with SD (and LA to a lesser degree), is the logjam they have in the OF.  SD traded off Reyes, was looking to offload Myers after the Hosmer deal, they are supposedly still looking to maybe move Renfroe.... So a guy like Jordyn Adams, all full upside and still a few years away might be attractive to those teams.

All that being said, they should be looking to free agency first and do everything they can to keep Marsh.

True, but if we took Myers we help them there as well.   Ruiz was also one i looked at but SD seemed to maybe make a little more sense as the dodgers arent worried about money and SD could use the salary relief to go get Strasburg who they are rumored to be on on, plus they still have Hedges for C.   If i could do it with Adams over Marsh i absolutely would but if were taking on that contract it might not even cost Marsh, pending how much we eat. 

IDK just something that seemed to fit. 

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you're looking at young catchers for someone like Marsh....  I'd start with Keibert Ruiz of the Dodgers.   Ruiz, is blocked by Will Smith which is a much bigger obstacle for Ruiz than anyone in SD is for Mejia so he might be easier to obtain.   The other thing to consider with SD (and LA to a lesser degree), is the logjam they have in the OF.  SD traded off Reyes, was looking to offload Myers after the Hosmer deal, they are supposedly still looking to maybe move Renfroe.... So a guy like Jordyn Adams, all full upside and still a few years away might be attractive to those teams.

This.  As much as I like Marsh, I'd trade him for a legitimate catching prospect like Ruiz, who is considered a top 50 prospect (or better) in the sport.  With Trout, Upton, and (soon) Adell in the OF, we can probably "afford" to part with Marsh in the right deal.  There aren't many I'd trade him for, but if I could flip him in a deal for a stud catching prospect, then I'd do it.  Would solve our catching problem for years to come.

20 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Myers is entering his age 29 season coming off a below league average season, owns a career OPS+ of 107, and is owed 67 million dollars over the next three years.  There is nothing about Myers that's worth considering.  The consensus is that 14 Mil for one year was too much for Calhoun....   I don't think there is enough upside in Mejia to offset the amount of bloat adding Myers does...

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

All that being said, they should be looking to free agency first and do everything they can to keep Marsh

this is absolutely it.

we need major league starting pitching right now. eppler can continue to develop the farm system, but we need to get quality pitchers now.

to me, about the saddest thing possible for this franchise would be to say in twelve years that mike trout only got to the playoffs one time in his career.

57 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If you're referring to Pujols and Upton, this is false.

I can guarantee you that Upton will be a top 5 LF as far as productivity in 2020 if he stays on the field, which last year was really his only injury riddled season with us in what was a freak injury a couple days before the season started. 

Pujols like last season played in less games than he ever has while remaining healthy for the entire season. I think we're going to see more of that trend, with the Angels working in Thaiss/Walsh at 1B to spell even more games from Albert in 2020 and 2021. He's good for 20 HR and a good chunk of RBI's. 

There's a solid chance that between a 1B platoon of Pujols, Walsh and Thaiss that between the three they slash .260/.340/.490 with 35 HR and nearly 100 RBI. Same goes for Upton. 

Both of the players you single out in threads are not the problem here.

Starting pitching has been the problem for a long time and needs to be addressed now. If it is, the Angels will be a playoff contender. 

Pujols and Cozart

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This.  As much as I like Marsh, I'd trade him for a legitimate catching prospect like Ruiz, who is considered a top 50 prospect (or better) in the sport.  With Trout, Upton, and (soon) Adell in the OF, we can probably "afford" to part with Marsh in the right deal.  There aren't many I'd trade him for, but if I could flip him in a deal for a stud catching prospect, then I'd do it.  Would solve our catching problem for years to come.

Ruiz is young (age 21), and already playing at AAA late in the 2019 season.    But his 2019 AA numbers were pedestrian (mid 6's OPS), after being solid (mid 7's OPS) there the prior year.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ruiz is young (age 21), and already playing at AAA late in the 2019 season.    But his 2019 AA numbers were pedestrian (mid 6's OPS), after being solid (mid 7's OPS) there the prior year.

Yeah, and catchers notoriously take a bit longer to develop.  The fact that he's in AAA at age 21 as a catcher is amazing.  His bat-to-ball skills is incredible (looks how low those K rates are).  He still has some developing to do, but there's a reason he's widely considered one of the best catching prospects in baseball.

The sole reason behind suffering through the BS we have, the penny pinching, the dumpster diving, was to get to a place where the team could spend on major pieces they lacked and not paint themselves into a corner financially.  Trading guys who allow you to do that for players making 4 times what they should be making a year for three more years pretty much defeats the purpose of everything they did to get here.  Myers is a negative investment at hello.  I'd seriously want Eppler fired if he did that.   

The only reason you trade for Myers is if SD is taking Cozart and you have prospects coming back our way.  It's that bad a contract.  Again, the consensus here and around baseball was that one year of Kole Calhoun at 14 Mil was too much.... Myers is due four times that much....

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The sole reason behind suffering through the BS we have, the penny pinching, the dumpster diving, was to get to a place where the team could spend on major pieces they lacked and not paint themselves into a corner financially.  Trading guys who allow you to do that for players making 4 times what they should be making a year for three more years pretty much defeats the purpose of everything they did to get here.  Myers is a negative investment at hello.  I'd seriously want Eppler fired if he did that.   

The only reason you trade for Myers is if SD is taking Cozart and you have prospects coming back our way.  It's that bad a contract.  Again, the consensus here and around baseball was that one year of Kole Calhoun at 14 Mil was too much.... Myers is due four times that much....

Amen.  

would you rather have Marsh, Odorizzi, and dArnaud or Myers and Mejia?

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Myers is entering his age 29 season coming off a below league average season, owns a career OPS+ of 107, and is owed 67 million dollars over the next three years.  There is nothing about Myers that's worth considering.  The consensus is that 14 Mil for one year was too much for Calhoun....   I don't think there is enough upside in Mejia to offset the amount of bloat adding Myers does...

Fine, jerk. 

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, and catchers notoriously take a bit longer to develop.  The fact that he's in AAA at age 21 as a catcher is amazing.  His bat-to-ball skills is incredible (looks how low those K rates are).  He still has some developing to do, but there's a reason he's widely considered one of the best catching prospects in baseball.

That K rate is really solid (career rate of one K per 9.6 at bats) for a 21 year-old.   I do like that his BBs rate isn't bad either (2019 rate of one BB per 10.5 at bats).    How does he grade out behind the plate?

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And thats kinda the gist of the post.  I think all things being equal we would all want him, so the issue is at what cost.

IF you could get him or Ruiz or any other top young catcher without losing any of the top kids, but you take on bloat, do you do it?  Otherwise do you trade some combination of Marsh or Adams/Jones whoever not named Adell.  

We could go into FA and get Grandal for about the same as what we would take on in this case, assuming thats actually an option, so there are many ways to go about this but i think wed all probably prefer a long term solution on the right side of 30.

Again im just wondering how far people might be willing to go is all. 

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yep, Myers would evoke memories of Mr. Pop-Up Wells.    No thank you

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That K rate is really solid (career rate of one K per 9.6 at bats) for a 21 year-old.   I do like that his BBs rate isn't bad either (2019 rate of one BB per 10.5 at bats).    How does he grade out behind the plate?

He grades as, at worst, above average from what I have read about him.  Not sure if he'll be an elite defender, but the reports indicate he'll be a strong offensive catcher who provides above average defense.  I'll gladly take that.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

And thats kinda the gist of the post.  I think all things being equal we would all want him, so the issue is at what cost.

IF you could get him or Ruiz or any other top young catcher without losing any of the top kids, but you take on bloat, do you do it?  Otherwise do you trade some combination of Marsh or Adams/Jones whoever not named Adell.  

We could go into FA and get Grandal for about the same as what we would take on in this case, assuming thats actually an option, so there are many ways to go about this but i think wed all probably prefer a long term solution on the right side of 30.

Again im just wondering how far people might be willing to go is all. 

I'd be okay with a Marsh for Ruiz "swap."  I do not want to trade prospects for veteran players at this point, because I think we need all the prospects we can get to help absorb the future payroll obligations we will soon have, but a prospect-for-prospect trade, in which we trade from an area of surplus (OF) for an area of weakness (C) seems like a good utilization of prospect currency to me.